Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012

Since this topic came up I started looking at my gas gauge and my gauge don't bounce it is rock solid. My RTS SE5 is #301 for 2012 maybe they fixed it.

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

ok i got the volt meter and oil pressure gauge in the mail today the question i'm getting from the dealerships is where does the oil pressure sensor hook into and does something have to be modified to make it work and also how much time is needed to put this gauge in is hard,easy? any input anyone?

thanks

Spyder Garage

No bounce on my 2011.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Gauges

I have not seen the gauge bounce but I have had both gauges disconnected. So they are how dispalyed on the digital.
    Replaced gas with a volt gauge and water with a cup holder.
    15 rt , yes Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scooterexpress View Post
    ok i got the volt meter and oil pressure gauge in the mail today the question i'm getting from the dealerships is where does the oil pressure sensor hook into and does something have to be modified to make it work and also how much time is needed to put this gauge in is hard,easy? any input anyone?

thanks
    Here is a fairly good link to the info you are looking for. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...pressure+gauge

The only modification required is the connection of the oil pressure sending unit between the block and your existing oil pressure sensor. Pay special attention for the need to purchase a 10mm male to 1/8 NPT female adapter to be able to properly connect your sending unit to the block.

If you are absolutely clear on what needs to be done (panel removal. gauge wiring, sending unit installation) then I would classify this as a moderately easy install. Count on a few hours to be on the safe side in your time estimates.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My MPG varies from 23 in town (winter) to 32 on the hiway (summer). I keep an eye on milage on long trips, on my guage when I am doing a lot of short trips. My gas warning light came on last night with one bar still showing and the fill up took 4.7 gallons. (US). That worked out to 27 MPG which was mix of town and highway. Techically I could have gone about 30 miles more.

My 2011 gauge fluctuated too much so I took it out and defaulted to the bar graph then filled the hole with a radar detector. I replaced the water temp with a volt meter. If you remove one then the other also defaults to the bar graph, there is a way round this if you like keeping the temperature gauge. The bar graph is no better for accuracy but does not fluctuate like the meter did.
    Last edited by bluestratos; 03-23-2012 at 04:45 PM.

Spyder Garage

Just adding my experience here.

We have a 2011 RT Limited and sometime after the last oil change, the gas gauge needle started bouncing like a teeter-totter. Last week I took it to the dealer. My dealer has ordered the appropriate part/fix (I'm thinking it's a new gauge) and when it comes in, we'll get it swapped out.
    2016 RTS

SpyderLovers Sponsor scooterexpress's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

just disconnect the fuel-water gauge and get something more useful the on board computer much more accurate then the analog gauge i got oil pressure and volt to replace mine cost 145 w/shipping displays red at day and blue at night i hope according to paperwork havent got them in yet. waiting on a part needed for oil gauge since bike is metric and gauge is u.s. need a adapter so i can have both sensor. from what i read and have been told from here on ths site 10mm will fit into a 1/8npt connection will keep fingers crossed and hope for no leaks once done.

Tall flag mount, spyderpops skid plate & stainless steel screen mesh, airhawk adjustable cushion, raised white lettered tires.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by scooterexpress View Post
    just disconnect the fuel-water gauge and get something more useful the on board computer much more accurate then the analog gauge i got oil pressure and volt to replace mine cost 145 w/shipping displays red at day and blue at night i hope according to paperwork havent got them in yet. waiting on a part needed for oil gauge since bike is metric and gauge is u.s. need a adapter so i can have both sensor. from what i read and have been told from here on ths site 10mm will fit into a 1/8npt connection will keep fingers crossed and hope for no leaks once done.
    10 mm may fit into a 1/8" tee, but it won't seal well. A 1/8" nipple will not fit into the crankcase without damaging it.

Spyder Garage

Just got a new 2012 limited and the fuel gauge bounces. Once it gets down to half full it stops bouncing.

Willy
    When the going gets tough...Downshift..

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RTS SM5 Bouncing Analog Gas Guage

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    Can any new owners confirm the Fuel gauge fitted as standard to the
    new 2011 Spyders RT - No longer has the bouncing needle problem
    I am trying to get my gauge replaced on my 2010 RT - S Replaced but keep coming up against - They all do that !

I have read alot of the posts on this problem and if the 2011 Fuel gauge is
    now fine
    I would consider ordering one myself and fitting it -
    If someone knows the Part Number for the 2011 Fuel Gauge so I can be sure of getting the latest one rather than a 2010 gauge

Did BRP ever issue a recall notice or service bulletin with reference to the
    gauge problem

Any information useful
    Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK
    Just picked up a 2012 RT-S SM5 2 weeks ago and it has the bouncing gas gauge. It appears BRP could find suppliers with a solid gauge/sensors. I've had other manufactures motorcycles for the past 21 years with non-bouncing analog gas gauges. My $.02

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default SRARTED TODAY

JUST GOT MY RT BACK TODAY AFTER DOING THE RECOMMENDED ONE YEAR SERVICE. (5890 MILES). TILL TODAY NEVER HAD A PROBLEM. GOT ABOUT 100 MILES FROM THE DEALER AND THE METER STARTED TO BOUNCE BETWEEN FULL AND EMPTY LIKE CRAZY. IT LOOKS LIKE I WILL HAVE TO PAY MORE ATTENTION TO MILEAGE, BECAUSE I DO NOT WANT TO GIVE THE RIDE UP FOR SERVICE.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

after having the original gas gauge replaced, the second one just stayed locked in a position approximately 1/4" above the fuel mark. After throwing a hissy fit as we say in Texas.......they ordered a complete gauge panel...........

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have a 2011 RT-Limited and the fuel gage bounces unless its completely full.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Gauges

I have disconnected the gauges. I get about 130miles before the light comes on.
    If I but gas in it is about 4.2 gallons. At about 140 miles the digital gauge fluctuate between one to two bars. I have never gone to no bars. But I have gotten 150 miles an it took 5.2 gallons.
    15 rt , yes Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Newb one here.

First post, here goes... picked up our 2011 RT-S SE5 new, noticed the fuel gage jumps a lot. Also noted the temp gage doesn't light up. Dealer is 40 miles out, talked to a mechanic on the phone (they don't seem to use Email much) and he said no worries, he'll change them out when ever we decide to come up. Very pleasant experience with these guys so far, so we'll see how this turns out probably at the break-in service. I've got skills, so I hope to maintain it myself as much as I can, but we'll give them the first shot.

Spyder Garage

You might want to consider just disconnecting the auxilliary gauges. The Spyder has default gas and temperature gauge in the middle screen that are more accurate--in the opinion of most.

I recently disconnected the gauges on both my RT's and am much more happy with the digital gauges.

Disconnect: Loosen and remove the four screws (#27 Torx) on the dash panel. Turn the handlebars all the way to the right or left. Lift out the panel. Pull the plug and the additional power plug from each gauge. Put the wires down the hole and re attach the gauge panel. Your new gauges will lite up on the panel once you turn the key.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Replace Mine

I have a 2011 RT SE5, gauge bounced all over off the showroom floor. Had it replaced under warranty. Didn't bounce for a long time but it is doing it again now.

Spyder Garage

2 guages on the 2010 RT and not going to mess with it on the 2011 RT. That's why I disconnected them.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default fuel gauge bouncing

Quote Originally Posted by eddieshep999 View Post
    Can any new owners confirm the Fuel gauge fitted as standard to the
    new 2011 Spyders RT - No longer has the bouncing needle problem
    I am trying to get my gauge replaced on my 2010 RT - S Replaced but keep coming up against - They all do that !

I have read alot of the posts on this problem and if the 2011 Fuel gauge is
    now fine
    I would consider ordering one myself and fitting it -
    If someone knows the Part Number for the 2011 Fuel Gauge so I can be sure of getting the latest one rather than a 2010 gauge

Did BRP ever issue a recall notice or service bulletin with reference to the
    gauge problem

Any information useful
    Eddie Sheppard
    Reading UK
    My fuel guage still bounces after 3 or maybe 4. I lost count. I figure that is going to be a long time problem.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Bouncing gas gauge.

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa Spyder View Post
    Since this topic came up I started looking at my gas gauge and my gauge don't bounce it is rock solid. My RTS SE5 is #301 for 2012 maybe they fixed it.
    My fuel gauge on my 2011 seems to bounce after the first quarter tank.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The early model year RTs seemed to be plagued by this more than the newest ones...
    ...And it wasn't every bike!
    The original gauges that I had were rock solid... Then i upgraded to chromw bezels; those bounced around like a toad on a hotplate!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black