Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

How about Rootie Kazootie, The Shadow on radio, the B bar B ranch, a paper route after school, then a job at the gas station? And 78 rpm records?

john

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

19 cent gas, Home made motorcycle/scooter/deathtrap ( I suvived that one), Whizzer and my first real motorcycle HD Hummer, Hopped up flat head V-8 Ford, Actualy did walk about a mile and a half to High school, Overhead V-8 Cad, overhead V-8 ford (52 ?), Wresling on my Dads TV on Sat night/sign off at midnight. Shared water dipper at the well
    Same as a lot of the above and it was fun
    Oldmanzues

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Carolers in the neighborhood at Christmas. Nickle pickles from the barrel. Penny candy. 5 cent cokes. Calling a track hoe a steam shovel. 15 cent lunch at school. And as Bob said, milk delivered in glass bottles with the cream at the top. Bread and baked goods delivered to the door (Rices bakery). The old man in the horse drawn wagon selling fruit and vegetables. Being awed by my uncle when he would visit in his Army uniform. Stick ball with a pinkey and an old broom stick. And so much more...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default yup

stick ball, stoop ball, fruit and vegi wagons and never forget the sweet potato man and the jelly apple man. my grandfather used to rent all of them push carts and we would get the best of everything when we would stop one of the carts, the jelly apples were double dunked and hot when we got them

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder_Cowgirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Let's See ... I Remember

When ....

• Phone numbers were given out with an exchange NAME ... like FIreside5-xxxx, or 345-xxxx (the real phone number is still active, too)
    • Civil defense drills in school ("duck and cover")
    • JFK's funeral (I remember nothing about his death, but remember vividly being forced to watch the funeral ... tough on a 6 year old)
    • Reciting the pledge of allegiance in school (I learned the version WITH "under God," my mother took her citizenship oath using the version without ... she was born in Canada).
    • Milk being delivered in glass bottles (yes, Bob, even in California).
    • Learning how to properly fold a flag as "captain of the guard" at my elementary school. The "guards" were usually 4th to 6th graders and we were charged with walking younger students across the street going to / from school (certainly wouldn't want to let a child do that today with the idiot distracted drivers on the road).
    • Either walking or riding my bike (as in bicycle) to school -- it was about a mile and a half. I suspect you don't see much of that today.
    • All the kids on the culdesac getting together for a softball game; where the round part was used for the diamond and the straight part was outfield. No kids live there anymore ... so no softball games.
    • Heading to the "Lair of the Golden Bear" in the Sierra's of California for nearly 20 years; every summer, week after the fourth of July, we stayed at Camp Gold. Hikes to "Cleo's Bath" on the far side of Strawberry Lake as well as horseback riding in the mountains are some of my fondest memories. The Lair is still open and escaped damage from the rim fire this past summer.

I think that's enough for now. Good topic ..... Regards .... Ann
    __________________________________________________ _
    2016 RT Limited -- "Jubilee" (as in Cherries)
    Guardian Bell (gift from spyderowboy)
    ISCI Dual Flag Mount – Tall Poles
    Lamonster Bottle Holder and Spyder Cuff
    Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Rear Run / Brake / Turn LEDs
    Spyderpops Mirror LEDs
    Custom Dynamics HMT Brake

Spyderpops Keep Out The Trash (KOTT) Grills
    Don't Eat Mud / mudflap
    __________________________________________________ __

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default OK, here my remembrances....

I grew up in a small town in Sussex County New Jersey.
    The town was known as Bevans, just down the road from the town of Layton.
    My folks owned the general store in the "center" of town, 4 roads kinda came together/or passed by.
    The store had a second floor which was never used, and the bats came out of the roof rafters during the summer.
    The store had groceries, big old chest style soda machines,where you slid the door up and reached in to get what you wanted. Sodas were like 10 or 15 cents. Do you remember "Squirt"?
    In the front center was the bakery rack ,with breads, donuts, and such.
    Behind that were the 2 horizontal ice cream freezers, one had 5 gallon kits of various favors, from which hand-dipped cones were made. Single scoop- 15 cents, double-dip- 25 cents. The other freezer held 1/2 gallon containers, if you wanted "pre-packaged". Breyers & Sealtest were the makers of the ice cream.
    Also had a great candy counter display, penny candies up on top, then the 5 cent candy bars, and if you were/felt rich, you could buy a Mounds or Almond Joy for 10 cents!
    My mom was also the Postmistress for the town(07824,I think, when zip codes came to be)
    The Post Office (4th class), was in the back of the store right next to the kerosene heater(only heat I can remember being in the building). People would come in for their mail, it would be pulled from their cubby hole and handed over. The Post Office facade can be seen at/in the Space Farms museum in Beemerville,NJ.
    Does anyone remember the fall out shelter pamphlets the government handed out? Learn how to build that perfect shelter!
    Two gas pumps were outside, front right side ,off the porch, regular and Hi-Test, TideWater gas....
    Summers, and summer folks, sittin' on the front porch with neighbors and folks..
    n
    Sorry I've run on, but
    These were better simpler times, good memories..

Bill Pitman
    62 years of living...

Spyder Garage

-Gathering around the Crosley radio to listen to Lux Radio Theater; Inner Sanctum; Mister Keen, Tracer of Lost Persons; Gangbusters and The Shadow. Friday night it was the fights broadcast by Don Dunphy sponsored by Gillette Blue Blades

-Taking out the ashes from the coal furnace to be picked up by the city to be spread on the roads.

-Tuning in my crystal set on the hour to see how many different station call letters I could pick up.

-Loading my pistols with rolls of red caps before venturing out on Saturday to the afternoon moves to see Sunset Carson; Johnny Mack Brown, Lash LaRue or the Durango Kid.

-Sending off to the Mystic Stamp company for an uncirculated set of stamps from Ceylon, Borneo or Ste. Pierre & Miquelon.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

I will always remember what a big deal it was growing up that mom and dad let us stay up to watch the ball drop on New Years eve. As soon as it dropped off to bed we went.

Dinner was always at 5 PM. Dad always said grace and no one could leave the table until mom said it was okay.

We always got two new pair of pants for the start of the new school year and always had to take them off when we got home, they were not play clothes.

We got a Microwave oven but couldn't tell anyone because mom didn't want the neighbors to think we were rich.

Spyder Garage

Default I remember when

I remember when we got electricity.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hey, we are lucky in Rhode Island. We STILL have milk delivered in glass bottles. Munroe Dairy has 30 delivery routes and is a full service grocery store on wheels. I worked there for 8 years as their marketing manager. They've been around since 1881!

http://www.cowtruck.com/wcms/index.php

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Bill, Squirt is still available.

Spyder Garage

Remember when McDonalds advertised that you could get a burger, fries and a coke and get change back from your dollar.

Spyder Garage

Remember when during New Years and July 4th, neighborhood kids would save there lunch money to but bottle rockets and roman candles and at night would play "war" in the streets...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

Grape Nehi, 2 for 1 Penny Candy, the popsicle flavor of the month (5 cents). Blue Rasberry, Chocolate, Licorice, and Apple--in addition to the regular flavors. Guess I was into treats

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder ri View Post
    Hey, we are lucky in Rhode Island. We STILL have milk delivered in glass bottles. Munroe Dairy has 30 delivery routes and is a full service grocery store on wheels. I worked there for 8 years as their marketing manager. They've been around since 1881!

http://www.cowtruck.com/wcms/index.php

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

We used to go to the candy store to "Hang Out" a glass of seltzer was 3 cents, if you wanted syrup in it, it was 5 cents.

Somebody's father would whistle for him and half the kids headed home because they were not sure who was being called

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I don't remember, but some of you old-timers remember when Bob only had 5000 post.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Default YES

DAD GAVE ME A NICKEL TO WALK TO YTHE STATION AND GET A PALE OF WHITE GAS TO WASH PSARTS

Spyder Garage

I remember when..

Actually...i forget what i remember
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Then you're old enough...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I remember when we got our first tv in the mid '50s. We lived in north Seattle and were the first ones on our street (which was not paved, btw) to get a tv. All the kids on our street (kindergarten/1st grade age) came over the next day and my Mom checked the paper to find a suitable show. It was Mighty Mouse.

Before that I actually remember listening to a kids show on our living room table radio on Saturday mornings...then getting booted out the door to go out and play.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KAPike View Post
    I don't remember, but some of you old-timers remember when Bob only had 5000 post.

None of us are that old.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I remember wen Duck Dynasty was on the A&E network.
    Last edited by KAPike; 12-19-2013 at 04:17 PM.

Spyder Garage

I remember when I wanted to change the channel on the TV, I had to walk all the way across the room to do it.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey