Spyder Garage

Default Headlight Aiming

Has anyone come up with a different method for aiming headlights? I just don't have the space to set up an aiming board 33 ft away on a level surface unless I am in the road. Not exactly a safe move..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

I guess I should have searched before posting. I found the chart in a previous posts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Arrow

No room here either, so I scouted out a good location and waited til dusk. Only takes a few minutes, as long as you take along the tools needed.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

You don't have to get that scientific. The headlight aim changes with passenger and cargo load and different rear suspension settings anyway. Pull up on a level surface with the headlights shining on a wall or garage door. It doesn't need to be 33 ft away. If your problem is that your lights are too high, mark the position on the wall with tape, then lower them a little and try it. It costs nothing to experiment. Same deal if the lights ar too low...just mark the current position, raise them evenly, and try them out.

Please note that if your problem is that oncoming drivers flash you during the daytime, or pull over thinking you are an emergency vehicle, that is probably only partly due to the aim being too high. It is an artifact of the projector lenses, that causes the focused part of the beam to be very narrow, and go in and out of their direct line of sight. Riding with the high beams on in the daytime helps. Lowering the aim a bit will, too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

fairly easy to do, but if you are short on area you can adjust the height and distance accordingly. It is mostly to find where on the road your lights will shine. Good luck..
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just in case you dig "Scientific"...

Assumptions:
    Spyder RT Headlight Height: 35.0" (This could change with a heavier/lighter driver/passenger, cargo load, tire pressure, performance
    shocks, etc.)
    BRP Spec for Headlight Adjustment: Adjust for a low beam height of 25.3" to 28.8" (27.1" halfway point) at 33' with a 200 lb driver.
    Calculated Angle: 1.15° downward

Angle Distance Low Beam Height Adjustment
    1.15° 33' 25.3" - 28.8"
    1.15° 30' 26.0" - 29.5"
    1.15° 25' 27.2" - 30.7"
    1.15° 20' 28.4" - 31.9"
    1.15° 15' 29.6" - 33.1"
    1.15° 10' 30.8" - 34.3"

Turn the knob clockwise to raise the beam and counterclockwise to lower it.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black