Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Seat cushions? What works and what don't?

Was talking with some friends today and we got on the subject of adding a cushion to the seats. Some of my Harley riders have them and swear by them. I have thought about one but how do you know "if" you need one and what works and what don't? Gel pads, sheepskins, air cushions are all out there. I have noticed on my Spyder that on really long rides I can get a slight burning or "hot butt" right in the middle but this is way less with the Ultimate seat vs. the stock seat. I was most interested in the Airhawk because I have a cousin in a wheelchair and he is on a cushion just like them, so that design must work he's on it all the time.

Spyder Garage

From experience: I have an Alaska Leather sheepskin/gel cushion and also the Standard Airhawk.

The Airhawk has a slightly higher seating position. Depending on my "pain of the day", I usually start out with my regular seat (Corbin) and when I need to change leg position, on goes the sheepskin. When it gets really bad I go to Airhawk or both. The two cushions give me four possible seating positions.

The other has the BRP comfort seat on it and I find that I now prefer that to the Corbin. However, that gets used by akspyderlady.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Seat

I have a airhawk seat cusion. Get the seat air adjustment set for you and it works great.

Jerry

Spyder Garage

Go with something that you know works Airhawk R

Cruzr joe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A friend gave me a "Butt Buffer" seat pad and over it, I have a sheepskin . . . very comfortable.
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

I have the standard seat and added a Utopia backrest.I just came back from 2500 mile ride.....usually 3-500 miles per day. I have a sheepskin which helps some with the burning, but causes me to slip down when I ride. I finally took it off for the last leg of the ride and had minimal burning with more comfort! I also use Monkey butt powder....wouldn't ride without it!!!! also look at your pants and underwear.....make sure you are not sitting on seams!

Spyder Garage

I have a 'Bead Rider' seat cover. It is more comfortable than it looks but I'm sure it won't please everyone. I like it for 2 reasons. It lets air flow between me and the seat. On hot days this makes a lot of difference. And I like it in the rain. It keeps water from puddling under me and soaking through my rain gear. I alternate between this and nothing on long, multiple day rides.

It's not good in the twisties because it allows your butt to move around too much. It's not dangerous, just not ideal. Especially if you're trying to keep up with Doc!

It's easy on, easy off, and stores well.

Last edited by BajaRon; 11-12-2013 at 09:39 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I also had a beadrider and loved it, then I lost 40 pounds and could feel every bead. It was most uncomfortable and after I removed it I found that the standard seat really wasn't that bad. I am planning on getting a backrest for that little added support.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Like seats, cushions are a very, very personal thing. My buns may love the one that yours hates...and vice versa. Cheaper to experiment with pads than to try different seat manufacturers. I have both the Airhawk (the Airhawk R is somewhat better) and sheepskins. Both help, neither is as good as the proper seat. As alternatives, you might consider having your seat rebuilt by MotorcycleDave so the "cushion" is internal, or if the budget allows, having a Russell Day-Long or other custom seat built to your measurements and specifications.

GOS Founding Member (Girls On Spyders)

Spyder Garage

I also like the Airhawk for longer rides. I can adjust the amount of height or inflation easily and it's comfortable in all the temps I ride in. Just don't forget to bring it in at night. (especially when it rains & you have no cover )

Spyder Garage

I recently had this conversation and most guys were saying try the airhawk if money is a concern(which it is in my case). I have an RS but I ride it similar to a cruiser and long rides are in my near future so comfort is important to me.

Grady Brown III
    President & Founder
    For The Love of Laila...and your baby too
    www.ftllm712.com
    Check out the Events page at www.ftllm712.com for upcoming events

We are Riding to save lives!!!

Facebook

Twitter

Spyder Garage

I like the bead rider. I have had them on my last 3 motor cycles. My 83 gold wing, my 2002 Goldwing, and now on my 2012 Rt s. I wouldn't be without one.

Spyder Garage

Default AIRHAWK

I bought an Airhawk at the BMWRA rally in Copper Mountain must have been june of 2012. Been using it every day until 3 weeks ago, but it's sprung a leak! 22,000 miles later! Now I guess I need to contact them see what the warranty is. bought a bead rider which I also like but is a bit hard sometimes.
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AbNormy View Post
    I bought an Airhawk at the BMWRA rally in Copper Mountain must have been june of 2012. Been using it every day until 3 weeks ago, but it's sprung a leak! 22,000 miles later! Now I guess I need to contact them see what the warranty is. bought a bead rider which I also like but is a bit hard sometimes.
    The Airhawk has a 2 year bladder warranty unless it's the Airhawk 2. I have been reading up on these thing and I think that's what i'm going to try first. The Airhawk 2 is about $90 and the better Airhawk is $180 but right now if you buy direct from Airhawk you can get the better one for $40 off the price and free shipping. I spoke with my cousin last night about the air cushion he sits on in his wheelchair and he said it's an absolute must to prevent pressure sores. I think i'm going to order one today.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

IMHO a seat cushion is just a bandaid for an uncomfortable seat and seat comfort and what shape and style work is a very personal thing.
    Get a seat done right (custom for you personally) and you shouldn't need any cushions. I went through at least 6-7 different seats with various levels of success before having one done by motorcycledave. Now the seat is fantastic!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the med. Harley seat cushions. Fits both front and back on the RT. They have a little gel in them and they allow cool air under you when riding, great for summer days.

Spyder Garage

Default Airhawk R Seat Pad

Got mine a t RevZilla, they have a 30 day money back guarantee. Try it and see, I love mine.
    2021 Sea to Sky, 2013 RT Ltd, 2005 Bombardier Outlander ATV

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Wheel Addict View Post
    The Airhawk has a 2 year bladder warranty unless it's the Airhawk 2. I have been reading up on these thing and I think that's what i'm going to try first. The Airhawk 2 is about $90 and the better Airhawk is $180 but right now if you buy direct from Airhawk you can get the better one for $40 off the price and free shipping. I spoke with my cousin last night about the air cushion he sits on in his wheelchair and he said it's an absolute must to prevent pressure sores. I think i'm going to order one today.
    Where did u get the above info?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Airhawk with Alaska Leather sheepskin over it. I have what's known as an old man's a** so not much padding left there.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Topshotta View Post
    Where did u get the above info?
    Airhawk's web site.... http://www.airhawkseatcushions.net/c...D=420&number=1

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I have the Airhawk, butt buffer & Alaska Sheepskin. I use the Airhawk all the time. It is cool and if it rains, the seat helps keep you elevated and you do not ist in a puddle!
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NautiBrit View Post
    I also had a beadrider and loved it, then I lost 40 pounds and could feel every bead. It was most uncomfortable and after I removed it I found that the standard seat really wasn't that bad. I am planning on getting a backrest for that little added support.
    Did the beadrider helped 40 lbs lost? I'm sure feel a lot better now being lite.

Spyder Garage

Same for me, the Airhawk seat cushion. I love it...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Take a look at this post

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...uy-Gel-Cushion

This is what I use and it works well. I might upgrade to sheepskin like it next year

Spyder Garage

Default protection of family jewels

Personally-I'd like to find a cushion that would help short people like myself (5'3") with short inseams- to raise my family jewels so they don't get smashed and painful. Rode some 230 miles last weekend and I knew it come Monday! OUCH!!!!!!
    2015 RT-Limited SE6-TricLED Fender LED's (Red and Amber), 3rd LED Brake Light/Tail Light, ISCI Handbrake with black small hands handle,Spyderpops Rock Guard. ,Can-Am Adjustable Wing Vents, Bumpskid, Bajaron's Sway-Bar with metal Heim Joints. Elkas Stage 2 Plus., TricLED Wide-VU Mirrors, TricLED Jumper Port, Laser Aligned!