Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Cruiser cam: Ohio Highway Patrol Trooper crash involving motorcycle

An Ohio Highway Patrol trooper crash involving a motorcycle was caught by dash cam.

Monday, the Ohio Highway Patrol released cruiser camera video of the collision.

The accident involved the motorcycle and an Ohio Highway Patrol trooper car in the westbound lanes of U.S. 35 near New Jasper Station Road on Aug. 17. Trooper Jacob Daymon, 30, of the Xenia Post, was traveling west on 35 east of Stringtown Road, on his way to work, when he struck the motorcycle.

Both vehicles came to rest on the right side of the road.

The two people on the motorcycle, both of whom are from Beavercreek, were taken to Miami Valley Hospital. One, Amy Waldman, was flown by CareFlight. The driver, Corey Waldman, was transported by ground medic, the patrol said.

Both were ejected from the bike and were wearing helmets. Both have been released from the hospital.

Details of what caused the accident are still under investigation.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW VIDEO

NOTE: The motorcycle was clearly visible and the speed of the patrol car in relationship was much faster. Wonder if the Trooper was playing with all the bells and whistles inside his patrol car and was not paying attention?

Last edited by Knarfoh; 09-10-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy

seems like he didn't even see him than it took forever for him to stop

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There doesn't appear to be much to investigate; the officer "screwed the pooch" on this one!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It look more to me that the trooper was going 5 to 10 faster then the motorcycle and just did not realize the closer rate. Not a excuse, but possibly a reason. It is in a 55 MPH zone.
    I believe it does make a good case for more lights on back. The motorcycle appears to be a HD with a single tailight. I had wondered if the motorcycle had a working tail light, but appeared to have.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Scary..!!

looks like he was not paying attention at all. All lights were working and he just climbed up on them...rough...hope all involved are doing ok...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Woah! He just ran them over Mad Max style.

Lucky they didnt get ran over again as he backed up!

Or by the cars flying by.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Unfortunately I see more and more Officer's distracted by their laptop and cell phones while driving. There are No Cell Phone Laws in the state and it just does not seem to apply to Law Enforcement. Would not be surprised if he had his eyes off the road looking at one e-device or another.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

although it would never happen, having a cam on the officer while driving would give a bunch to this investigation.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default cop

Quote Originally Posted by JCSMOKE View Post
    although it would never happen, having a cam on the officer while driving would give a bunch to this investigation.
    from what i understand the first thing that lawyers do is get the phone records of the person who was involved in the accident, so in this case if the cop was on the phone and it was not a official call that distracted him than i think the bike riders have a great case, so they can sue the state and the trooper together. but i am not a lawyer mainly because i like to be liked but it's what i think

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daltmeyer View Post
    Woah! He just ran them over Mad Max style.

Lucky they didnt get ran over again as he backed up!

Or by the cars flying by.
    If he could not see them when going forward I can't see how he could going in reverse. I was just waiting for the troopers car to bounce as he ran back over one of them.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Cool Crash video

Yes I think BD has this one called correctly.

i played it back a dozen times and what I observed was the sudden appearance of the bike with not much rear lighting suddenly in the windshield area. The riders dressed in typical MC clothing, dark, non reflective, which did not help. I was left thinking, "was he slowing down?" Granted most LEO's around these parts drive 10 to 20 over not under the posted limit!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default News Report which also shows short interview with Couple

CLICK HERE TO SEE NEWS REPORT

Here is a news report that gives more details. Seems the Trooper was upset his front bumper might have been damaged.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Sounds like the Trooper was doing something he shouldn't have been doing.......

Trooper put on administrative duties
    By WILLIAM DUFFIELD
    Staff writer

XENIA — A trooper honored in 2012 as Trooper of the Year for the Xenia Post of the Ohio State Highway Patrol has been placed on administrative duties.

Trooper Jacob Daymon, 30, was taken off the road and out of uniform, and placed on those administrative duties last week, according to reports.

According to the OSP, Daymon was placed on administrative duties following the crash reconstruction of an Aug. 17 accident where Daymon’s cruiser struck a motorcycle, injuring Corey and Amy Waldeman, the two occupants of the bike.

The reports state that findings from the reconstruction have been sent to the Greene County Prosecutor’s office and cannot be released to the public until the case is closed.

The Waldemans were traveling west on U. S. 35 in New Jasper Twp. at approximately 9:45 p.m. when their motorcycle was struck in the rear by Daymon’s cruiser. Amy Waldeman was Care Flighted to Miami Valley Hospital while her husband was transported by ambulance.

The dash camera video shows Daymon’s cruiser hitting the motorcycle directly in the rear.

Daymon, it is reported, will remain on administrative duties until the case is reviewed by a grand jury.

Friends of the Waldemans have planned a “poker run” for Oct. 19 at Beef O’Brady’s in Beavercreek as a way of raising funds for the injured bikers who have not been able to work since the accident.

The run will open registration at 11 a.m. on Oct. 19. The cost is $15 per bike and the cost includes lunch.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Trooper of the Year?
    Stay out of Ohio.
    they are out to run you down...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've got wonder: what had him so distracted, that he wasn't paying attention?
    Was there a crime in progress that he was witnessing ? It wouldn't make it right; but it would at least be an explanation...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

wonder if he fell asleep just for a second? it took him forever to get stopped and then he backed up?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Conclusion - Busy Playing with One of his Toys....

CLICK HERE TO READ THE REST OF THE STORY ONLINE

"Trooper Daymon, in that same supplemental incident report, told a supervisor he was on his way to the patrol's Xenia post when he was dispatched on a report of a pedestrian walking on U.S. 35, near the Jamestown exit. After checking the area, Daymon radioed to dispatch that he was unable to locate the pedestrian.
    Daymon told the supervisor that he was in the process of using his mobile command terminal, a laptop mounted between the front seats, to manually clearing himself from the incident when he struck the motorcycle."

Spyder Garage

Scarry incident and not a lot of information. Thoughts and for a quick recovery of the couple on the bike.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Equal Justice

As you can see there is equal justice for all in this country.