Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Right side heat

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

I ordered one from Spyderpops and will be installing this evening!! Thanks Harvey!

Quote Originally Posted by REPOPS View Post
    SPYDERPOPSDOES IT AGAIN!
    Eliminate the hot foot issues with your RT.
    If you want to rest your foot on your new highway
    pegs and find it very uncomfortable due to the heat
    coming from the radiator the solution is here. We
    installed dozens of the block off plates at Spyderfest
    with great results. This is the idea that Lamonster wrote up
    not long ago on the forum.
    Beat the Heat today at www.spyderpops.com

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    Picked up my RT from being serviced yesterday, and headed home on I75. but when I got here, the left side panel was missing! The grommets are all still glued in place, and yes, I had added Velcro at the top but none of this saved it. Sadly, I have previously advised several people to always check the panels after any service by others, but I didnt do it and now will have to pay the price.
    You can bet I am going to put tie-down wires on both sides now!
    Contact Dave01 about the new hardware in place on the Limited Editions.

Spyder Garage

Lamont,

How did you get such a smooth cut out on that cookie sheet with a Stihl?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Just installed the pops version of your heat deflector Lamont... does seem to work great and I don't see any real temp increase... And it is 100 deg. here... thanks for taking the bull by the horns!... or in this case the cookie sheet!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just received Spyderpops Radiator block off plate and will try to install it. I am NOT much of a wrench. Do I see where some used Velcro to install the plate vs. drilling a hole in the panel?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cougar View Post
    Lamont,

How did you get such a smooth cut out on that cookie sheet with a Stihl?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BIG RED 1 View Post
    I just received Spyderpops Radiator block off plate and will try to install it. I am NOT much of a wrench. Do I see where some used Velcro to install the plate vs. drilling a hole in the panel?

No, the verlcro is to keep your side panel in place. Read the directions

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had Spyderpops install the black polycarbonate panel on my new RT at Spyderfest. Because I got them before I really had a chance to ride, I have never experienced any problem with heat. All the heat seems to go down and out where the splash pan used to be and what does come thru seems to be deflected down by my FloorBoards. Do want to get a cover grill for it but not sure where to get it.

Ride in comfort,

John
    Seal FloorBoards

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    No, the verlcro is to keep your side panel in place. Read the directions
    Thanks, Lamont. I missed that.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sealfloorboards View Post
    I had Spyderpops install the black polycarbonate panel on my new RT at Spyderfest. Because I got them before I really had a chance to ride, I have never experienced any problem with heat. All the heat seems to go down and out where the splash pan used to be and what does come thru seems to be deflected down by my FloorBoards. Do want to get a cover grill for it but not sure where to get it.

Ride in comfort,

John
    Seal FloorBoards

That would cause excessive heat under Tupperware...Trust me you don't want that.......

Freebob...

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

I got one of the block off plates for my 2010 RT at Spyderfest. I still notice heat on my right foot but not as much. I was hoping NOT to have to wear my boots in the summer but with so much heat coming out I guess I will have to, to protect my foot. RATS!!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Unhappy

I had Spyderpops do that with the "heat shield "thing. problem I have now is that the heat now shoots out hits the black flange and heads back to my feet ON THE PEG by the brake. HOT FOOT and leg. Soo Kevin at Cowtown put a little aluminum "shield " attached to the lower hole where the heat comes out and now it's not near as bad. Still hot but can put my foot out (WAY OUT) on that flange, hook my heel on it and it helps cool off my foot. Short of closing both holes can't see a way to get around the heat problem on my 2010 RT-S.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Actually, I had the heat shield installed as well. Maybe i'm experiencing the same thing you are. HMMMM!

Indian Land, SC (30 miles S of Charlotte, NC) was Spotsylvania, VA
    Spyder Garage

Default Heat again.

Those that have the heat shield listed above, did you do any other changes like the exhaust tape or the cat. cover or was it just the former?

Did you remove the cover that Lamonster recommended or did you just install the one shield?

Is BRP doing anything to correct this?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiev View Post
    Those that have the heat shield listed above, did you do any other changes like the exhaust tape or the cat. cover or was it just the former?

Did you remove the cover that Lamonster recommended or did you just install the one shield?

Is BRP doing anything to correct this?
    If you don't remove the splash pan you will have issues. Don't do it without removing the pan

Not likely you'll see any change soon from BRP.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

How will the affect the warranty?

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeFeet View Post
    I had Spyderpops do that with the "heat shield "thing. problem I have now is that the heat now shoots out hits the black flange and heads back to my feet ON THE PEG by the brake. HOT FOOT and leg. Soo Kevin at Cowtown put a little aluminum "shield " attached to the lower hole where the heat comes out and now it's not near as bad. Still hot but can put my foot out (WAY OUT) on that flange, hook my heel on it and it helps cool off my foot. Short of closing both holes can't see a way to get around the heat problem on my 2010 RT-S.
    I'd like to see Harvey (Spyderpops) come out with a cover to the lower hole as well. I did remove my lower splash pan and have no increased heat issues (per the temp guage). But even with the lower pan removed, there is more hot air coming out the lower opening.
    Last edited by SteveMac; 06-22-2011 at 11:47 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Question on Lamonts Fix or Top Outlet

Does anyone do anything with the lower outlet below what Lamont sealed up or do you just leave it?
    Thanks

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default My two cent worth

Ok here is my two cents. Yes I had a heat problem, but not all that bad. I also had a foot placement problem, for me a little bit of a worse problem. After looking at the problem I came up with the following.

The rain defector sheild seems to defect the heat from the radiator chamber back on to your foot. On the 2013 this is a little worse because they have put foot plates on the bike. The rain defector panel was on earlier models, but they had pegs. These shield also limit the amount of travel your foot can move while riding. So I shortened the rain defector panels and no more problems . By doing this I now have room to move my feet around. My foot does not get hot because there is air flow over my foot . And the engine seem to run a little cooler because the heat from the radiator chamber is being drawn out better because of the air flow across the lower hole. The panels from BRP are $27 so it is not the end of the world if you have to replace them at some point in the future. I did both sides to make it look like it was made that way, and if you did not know they where bigger you would not say a thing about it.

Thought that I would just pass this on as my idea to the problem. It is really easy to do, no money spent, no highway pegs bought and it seems to work well. Oh and by the way, you are riding a motor cycle so if it rains your foot is going to get wet. That is just the way it works.

Just to let everyone know, 2013 RT-S ES5 Viper Red . I'm 6'6" tall, so I need all the room there is.

Myphoneapr13 033.jpgMyphoneapr13 032.jpgMyphoneapr13 031.jpg