Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Elka shocks install question

Called my Can Am Dealer to ask how much to install Elka shocks. He told me 1 to 2 hours per shock depending on if the Elka's had there own shocks or if they have to swap out the springs from the old shock, which would take longer. That seems like a long time when other people on this post state that it took them 30 minutes to an hour total. What gives?

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Run like the wind the other way!!!

No joke. It would take a DIYer only 30-60 minutes TOTAL.

Most dealers could easily complete in 30 min.

Here is a link to my install if you choose to try it yourself.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...t.php?p=328127

And We have another outlet to get the Elkas. In the home page of SpyderLovers, new sponsor, http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...t.php?p=494736

Good luck!
    Last edited by SteveMac; 08-03-2012 at 05:08 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I was doing other stuff and I had the frunk off my RS and I swapped out my standards with RT shocks in about 45 minutes.
    It depends on how much tupperware they remove.....I could see a max of 2 hours.
    It's not that difficult.......have you thought of doing it yourself......???

Spyder Garage

I'd say for a dealer, 2 hours billable is too much. Even if it only takes 30 min, they may round up and charge a full hour, many do. But 1 Hour max IMO.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I am female so I don’t think I have the strength and I definitely don’t have the tools. I friend of mine said he would do it but he is not available for a few weeks. So I called the dealer to see how much they would charge. I was shocked when they said at least an hour per side and up to 2 hours per side. Based on what I had been reading on this post I knew I was being taken for a ride. This is the main Spyder dealer in Colorado so it’s not like they have not done it before.
    I guess I will be waiting on my friend, at least it will only cost me a dinner.

What was he talking about with the Spring swapping?

arntufun

I Agree with Steve. When I changed to RT shocks it took me a little less than 30 minutes a side W/O taking any tupperware off. That was the first time doing them too.

arntufun

No spring swap needed. Your dealer didn't know what he was talking about.

Spyder Garage

Default Takes Trooper 10 minutes...

... if he stops to talk along the way...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Very sad...i installed elkas just a few days ago. Took about 45 minutes. If i had to do again i could do in half that time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzel View Post
    I am female so I don’t think I have the strength and I definitely don’t have the tools.
    Hmm...............have your male friend call and get a price? It seems whenever my wife gets a price to get the car fixed and then I call............she misunderstood what they were saying? It is shameful the way some mechanics and some trades people treat woman. Not sayin for sure in this case but just sayin.....
    Last edited by Buttsy; 08-03-2012 at 09:27 PM.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default Time it takes to put on Elkas

I am female so I don’t think I have the strength and I definitely don’t have the tools. I friend of mine said he would do it but he is not available for a few weeks. So I called the dealer to see how much they would charge. I was shocked when they said at least an hour per side and up to 2 hours per side. Based on what I had been reading on this post I knew I was being taken for a ride. This is the main Spyder dealer in Colorado so it’s not like they have not done it before.
    I guess I will be waiting on my friend, at least it will only cost me a dinner.

John at Elka says they can change the OEM shocks out and put Elka's on in 11 minutes. Okay, they do that all the time. I took my Elka's to a friend who has a well equipped garage at his house. He had never worked on a Spyder before. He changed them out in 45 minutes....the left shock takes longer for some reason and you need to reverse the direction of the bolts and nuts when you install the left shock so they are easier to tighten (get to). He used a plain car jack. It was flawless. My dealer overcharges me constantly......I didn't even bother to ask them. The average person can do this.

Spyder Garage

I saw Len install a set and we timed it.... 11 minutes. No tupperware has to come off. That dealer is nuts.

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

After all this time I finally had my Elka shocks intalled. Mechanic install upside down. Not his fault, turns out Elka shipped shocks with the top and bottom bushings on the wrong ends. The shocks could only go in one way and it turn out to be upside down. I decided to call Elka to double chech the install. He said the nipple has to be on the top. I told him we tried that way but shocks would not fit because of the bushings. It turns out he said his guys must have acidently assembled them wrong but Elka is going to do the right thing and pay the mechanic to reverse the install by popping the bushings out and putting them at the right ends.

Still bummed because I am going to miss a big ride this weekend. Mechanic cant get to it till next week

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm certainly not one to brag about my abiulities in the garage...
    But it was well less than an hour!
    The dealer is stealing from you!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

There are two parts to a shock. The compression piston and the spring.

My rear shock bottomed out and only had the compression piston replaced. Not the spring. It took more time because they had to compress the spring to get the piston out, reinstall a new piston, decompress, then install.

Maybe they thought they were swapping pistons, keeping the same spring?

Tell the shop you have a complete set of shocks and you want a "remove and replace" done.

If they still say two hours, the dealer is messing with you. Wait for the guy to help.
    Last edited by Yazz; 09-27-2013 at 07:08 PM. Reason: more info...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Called my Can Am Dealer to ask how much to install Elka shocks. He told me 1 to 2 hours per shock depending on if the Elka's had there own shocks or if they have to swap out the springs from the old shock, which would take longer. That seems like a long time when other people on this post state that it took them 30 minutes to an hour total. What gives?
    What gives is that your dealer doesn't know beans from good apple butter about installing Elka shocks. It took Pit Bull all of 45 minutes to install a front set. Find another dealer to do business with.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I did not go to a dealer but another shop. Did not charge me much at all. Dont have the tools and female,dont have the arm power. Dont think I need to Elka for new shocks, they just need to have the top and bottom bushings or spacers (not sure what you call them) swapped so that the shocks will slip in like that are supposed to.

Spyder Garage

After all this time I finally had my Elka shocks intalled. Mechanic install upside down. Not his fault, turns out Elka shipped shocks with the top and bottom bushings on the wrong ends. The shocks could only go in one way and it turn out to be upside down. I decided to call Elka to double chech the install. He said the nipple has to be on the top. I told him we tried that way but shocks would not fit because of the bushings. It turns out he said his guys must have acidently assembled them wrong but Elka is going to do the right thing and pay the mechanic to reverse the install by popping the bushings out and putting them at the right ends.

Still bummed because I am going to miss a big ride this weekend. Mechanic cant get to it till next week

Hmmm. I have installed a few sets of Elkas myself. I don't recall a single bit of difference in the upper and lower brass bushings. Sometimes, they may need to be compressed into the shock a bit more, but I am 99.999% sure they are the same. At least for 2008-2012. Now it is confusing for a novice installer with regard to coil location. On factory coil up, on Elka coil down. Sounds to me like your dealer really screwed up and Elka is going way above and beyond to cover any reinstall. And honestly even an old, fat, hobbled up guy like me can install a set in WAY under an hour. I think Lamont may even have video to prove it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's just the person you spoke to's off the cuff guesstimate. Depends on your mechanical acumen, work space, tool availability, and previous wrench slinging experience. Though I have stock shocks; I'd agree with most of the other posters here, the time for the shock swap out would be significantly less than what that person told you. Worst case scenario? What if it did take you that long. You gonna miss that Pink concert in your area? Didn't think so.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    Hmmm. I have installed a few sets of Elkas myself. I don't recall a single bit of difference in the upper and lower brass bushings. Sometimes, they may need to be compressed into the shock a bit more, but I am 99.999% sure they are the same. At least for 2008-2012. Now it is confusing for a novice installer with regard to coil location. On factory coil up, on Elka coil down. Sounds to me like your dealer really screwed up and Elka is going way above and beyond to cover any reinstall. And honestly even an old, fat, hobbled up guy like me can install a set in WAY under an hour. I think Lamont may even have video to prove it!
    yes there is big difference in brass bushings between the top and bottom at least for the RS Elkas. I was there during the install

Spyder Garage

yes there is big difference in brass bushings between the top and bottom at least for the RS Elkas. I was there during the install
    Interesting. I admit it has been a long time. But I recalled what was essentially a male and female bushing. One each for top bottom. But I remembered the dimensions as the same.

Regardless, glad that Elka is stepping up for you. But still odd (regardless of bushings) that the dealer would install upside down.

In the end, just glad it sounds like you are getting taken care of despite a slight delay.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMac View Post
    Interesting. I admit it has been a long time. But I recalled what was essentially a male and female bushing. One each for top bottom. But I remembered the dimensions as the same.

Regardless, glad that Elka is stepping up for you. But still odd (regardless of bushings) that the dealer would install upside down.

In the end, just glad it sounds like you are getting taken care of despite a slight delay.

I spoke with John Elka himself and he did confirm that the bushings are different. Mechanic did start to install correctly but the bottom bushing was loose and the top would not side in, it was way to wide. He turned them around and it was a perfect fit. John said you can pop the bushings out and put them in correctly. So that is what the mechanic will do next week. John also said that I should not ride it like that. so it will stay parked.

Spyder Garage

I spoke with John Elka himself and he did confirm that the bushings are different. Mechanic did start to install correctly but the bottom bushing was loose and the top would not side in, it was way to wide. He turned them around and it was a perfect fit. John said you can pop the bushings out and put them in correctly. So that is what the mechanic will do next week. John also said that I should not ride it like that. so it will stay parked.

Glad that I left myself a .001% chance to be wrong...
    Sorry it will be parked.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Len, trooper and SteveMac installed mine at SITA in about 15-20 mininutes and then did a re-adjust in about 5 min. And we had time to chat!. Love my Elkas!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze