Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas leak hot weather storage

I leave my 2009 Spyder in our AZ garage during the summer. We go back to MI. After we come back there is a gas leak from the bottom right sider of the Spyder. I drive for about 25 minutes and the gas leak stops. I've had all the updates, but maybe there is some kind of overflow that heats up stores the gas then spills out after the unit is started. Any ideas?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default leak

was the tank full when you stored it. sounds to me like the gas expanded in the heat and went out a over flow somewhere

Spyder Garage

Hope there is no water heater in the garage!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

that is a possibility but also check all fuel lines to make sure they are not dried out and cracking or there is a loose connection. Check around the evap canister as well.. Good luck..!!
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Yep,very good sugestion to check all the hoses since it is 4 years old.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I live in AZ as well. I agree that it is a fuel expansion issue. I have had it happen to me and now I park it with no more than 3/4 tank. I would check hoses as well, gets kind of hot and dry here

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

The atmospheric vent from the evap canister is routed out the right side bottom. It is open when the Spyder engine is turned off. If vapors condense in the line they will drip out of the tube. Excess vapors from a hot gas tank from riding and/or the sun can generate more vapors and make matters worse. Overfilling the gas tank or filling too fast can also aggravate the situation by saturating the charcoal in the canister. Insert the nozzle just into the fill ring and fill as slowly as possible, especially near the top. Stop filling when gas begins to spurt out of the fill baffle vent slots. Do not try to top it off more than once or twice, and always stop when it spurts out the vent slots.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The atmospheric vent from the evap canister is routed out the right side bottom. It is open when the Spyder engine is turned off. If vapors condense in the line they will drip out of the tube. Excess vapors from a hot gas tank from riding and/or the sun can generate more vapors and make matters worse. Overfilling the gas tank or filling too fast can also aggravate the situation by saturating the charcoal in the canister. Insert the nozzle just into the fill ring and fill as slowly as possible, especially near the top. Stop filling when gas begins to spurt out of the fill baffle vent slots. Do not try to top it off more than once or twice, and always stop when it spurts out the vent slots.
    Thanks for the informative response. I have topped off once too often. I do keep the tank about
    a third filled now. We'll see when I get back. Thx again

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jimmykjimmy View Post
    Thanks for the informative response. I have topped off once too often. I do keep the tank about
    a third filled now. We'll see when I get back. Thx again
    You can fill it up, just don't fill to the baffle. When appropriately filled it will be down from the baffle +/- 1/2" or so. Just fill slowly and stop when gas begins to spit out the vent slots.

Once you have overflowed to the evap canister it takes months for the trapped gas to evaporate, so your problem will persist for a while. You will also have more fumes (and more condensation) even after it has dried up, because the charcoal is now useless, and can't absorb any more vapors.

Spyder Garage

Default check your return line fitting

the fitting on the fuel injection return line at the gas tank is prone to leakage .it is a plastic fitting that is sloppy even when new .i smelled gas all the time and then one day it leaked badly .i got a steel generic fitting from an auto parts store and it fit much tighter in to the tank fitting .the seal in the tank fitting is an O ring and needs to be snug for a good seal .leak fixed and no more gas smell .i put a picture of the fitting i used in an old thread that discusses the same issue .i would check this fitting to be on the safe side .

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wftb View Post
    the fitting on the fuel injection return line at the gas tank is prone to leakage .it is a plastic fitting that is sloppy even when new .i smelled gas all the time and then one day it leaked badly .i got a steel generic fitting from an auto parts store and it fit much tighter in to the tank fitting .the seal in the tank fitting is an O ring and needs to be snug for a good seal .leak fixed and no more gas smell .i put a picture of the fitting i used in an old thread that discusses the same issue .i would check this fitting to be on the safe side .
    Unless the gas is obviously coming from the emissions system atmospheric vent (overflow) tube, the entire fuel system should be checked, including the fuel supply line, return line, fittings, and most importantly the fuel filter. Fuel filters have been found loose and have been known to leak even in the body of the filter.