Thread: Check DPS

Spyder Garage

Default Check DPS

I have 2011 RT-S SE5, on the way home from a 180 mile putt (few twisties ) my check engine light and the little spyder light came on.(the VSS light) dash said limp home. And check DPS. And both lights stayed lit. I had the handle bar warning light going off and on, on the bottom of the display. I pulled over, shut the bike off waited a few minutes, (just long enough to get my coat out and put it on). When I turned the key back on the bike went through a normal boot, all warning lights where off and I rode eight miles on home. With no issues. Any ideas? Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

there are glitches. Maybe heat, movement, gremlins who knows. If you can get the codes, if any, it would help. When you do the key walk many time the computer resets and all is well. Keep an eye on it or run it by your dealer and have them hook it up to the buds program and see if any codes were stored...good luck..!!
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This is a pretty typical occasional event in the life of a spyder owner. Unless you can actually pull error codes it can be written off to an overly sensitive computer

Spyder Garage

Default Cruise control?

Did you have your spyder in cruise control when this happened? I've had this happen to my 2012 RTS 2 times this year & both times I had cruise control on & going into a long sweeping curve. Just curious.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Could be a result of a steering sensor miscalibration or failure, a loose battery or ground connection, a bad battery, or a DPS failure. Have your dealer take a look and see if BUDS sheds any further light on the problem.

Spyder Garage

Default Cruise control

Quote Originally Posted by spyderfever View Post
    Did you have your spyder in cruise control when this happened? I've had this happen to my 2012 RTS 2 times this year & both times I had cruise control on & going into a long sweeping curve. Just curious.
    The cruise control was on but not engaged. I was in town running about 45 going down a hill into an easy sweeping curve. And then that orange screen, gush how I hate that!

Spyder Garage

Default No codes

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    there are glitches. Maybe heat, movement, gremlins who knows. If you can get the codes, if any, it would help. When you do the key walk many time the computer resets and all is well. Keep an eye on it or run it by your dealer and have them hook it up to the buds program and see if any codes were stored...good luck..!!
    Just tried to pull up codes. There are no codes showing! Thanks!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Accrow3 View Post
    I had a "check engine - limp home" while I was holidaying in Spain. No codes. I took the key for a walk and it ran OK. It took a while to believe my Spyder really was OK, it's a question of trust. When a serious reverse trike becomes available from a company other than BRP I'll get rid of this temperamental old faker and let someone else do the worrying.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

The only show when they are active. Your dealer has to call them up in BUDS to see the occurred codes. Some DPS problems do not leave a code behind, BTW.

Spyder Garage

Default Check DPS and handle bar going on & off

I have 2011 RT-S SE5, on the way home from a 180 mile putt (few twisties ) my check engine light and the little spyder light came on.(the VSS light) dash said limp home. And check DPS. And both lights stayed lit. I had the handle bar warning light going off and on, on the bottom of the display. I pulled over, shut the bike off waited a few minutes, (just long enough to get my coat out and put it on). When I turned the key back on the bike went through a normal boot, all warning lights where off and I rode eight miles on home. With no issues. Any ideas? Thanks!

My 2011 SE-5 did the same thing this week and I think it was from riding the brake. I let my brother drive and I rode on the back. I had not told him not to ride the brake and for about 1/2 of the ride he did and the same thing you describe happen. After everything reset, I told him to keep his foot away from the brake and all was well. For a test around my property, I removed the brake light fuse and after about 1/2 mile the same thing happen again. Put the fuse back and all is well.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Back to normal is great but if comes back then I would worry.

Have fun ridding.

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    I had a "check engine - limp home" while I was holidaying in Spain. No codes. I took the key for a walk and it ran OK. It took a while to believe my Spyder really was OK, it's a question of trust. When a serious reverse trike becomes available from a company other than BRP I'll get rid of this temperamental old faker and let someone else do the worrying.
    I thought the BMW reverse trike was available in Europe.

Spyder Garage

Happened to me once. I realized I was riding with my foot resting on the brake. Never happened again.