Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    If you catch it in time like ''immediately'', Or it will take the paint right down to bare metal
    That's true. So don't wait!

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default bikes

the notice said some bikes, on the 2013's that were not affected what did they do to them. does anyone know, is the fix they are doing now going to be on all new bikes being made, i would really be interested to see what the 2014's age going to have i would bet they moved the unit or replaced it with metal

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Recall

Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by flamingobabe View Post

Spyder Garage

I can't believe that they still put a metal piece even closer, attached it TO the master cylinder, and DID NOT wrap the exhaust pipe that is transmitting the heat in the first place. It just looks to me like the entire internal exhaust pipe system needs to be wrapped, then maybe this and the gas boiling problem might be helped. That little bit of heat reflective tape on the top of the master cylinder plastic looks like a joke to me. I do think the charcoal filter thingy being wrapped is a good thing, but not sure how effective it will be, and I hope the wrap for the brake cable is sufficient.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    Nobody ever needs anything better than "good enough".
    Good enough is just that: good enough.
    "Good enough" is NOT a low level of quality--actually it is quite high. Unfortunately some people use the term to describe shoddy workmanship.
    Dan,
    Sorry; I can't agree with you on this one...
    I don't want what's "good enough" for myself and my family; I want the most possible quailty that I can afford.
    I found out a very long time ago that you usually do get what you pay for in life.
    On a philosophical level; do you always accept what you have, and never want more... or better?

That's why my bike has a RonBar, RonLinks and RonWires...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Question Recall

Does anyone know why they didn't have problems with prior years? Are the 2014s going to be designed like prior years or like the 2013 with the fix.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The general feeling in here seems to be that BRP was attempting address the issue of heated air blowing up onto the rider and passenger...
    In doing so; they created an entirely different set of issues.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    the notice said some bikes, on the 2013's that were not affected what did they do to them. does anyone know, is the fix they are doing now going to be on all new bikes being made, i would really be interested to see what the 2014's age going to have i would bet they moved the unit or replaced it with metal
    It appears that the RS series of bikes is not affected by the heat problems or I don't remember reading about any heat problems on them.

Usually when a fix is applied like this all newly produced bikes will have the same fix or maybe something better.

Carl

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The general feeling in here seems to be that BRP was attempting address the issue of heated air blowing up onto the rider and passenger...

Thanks for clarifying that, I was wondering that myself.

Spyder Garage

That didn't sound like very good English.

Lol

Spyder Garage

That may be part of it. I think it is because of the highly restricted air flow on the right side. When I took the bodywork off the right side I was shocked at how little room there was for air move. If you notice the vapour canister has been moved higher and forward on the 2013's. It is now tucked between the parking brake actuator and the engine. This was likely done to reduce the chances of liquid fuel getting into the cannister. That plugged a big space for air to move. The radiator has now been sealed off on the ST at least as compared to my GS. No more air from the rad goes behind the tupperware. More ventilation lost on the right side. There is space for air to move over top of the airbox but most of it is lost going under the seat making the rider uncomfortable instead going down and cooling the MC.

Ever wonder why the 2013 RS's don't have a problem. It has the same MC, same exhaust, same engine, same frame and all the parts are in the same place. Could it be because it does not have a electric parking brake actuator blocking the airflow to the MC. Also could it be the bodywork is different allowing less air to get out under the seat and it moves past the MC adding more cooling.

That's my opinion anyway.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dan,
    Sorry; I can't agree with you on this one...
    I don't want what's "good enough" for myself and my family; I want the most possible quailty that I can afford.
    I found out a very long time ago that you usually do get what you pay for in life.
    On a philosophical level; do you always accept what you have, and never want more... or better?

That's why my bike has a RonBar, RonLinks and RonWires...
    If you really need the best possible then you really need to rebuild everything you purchase. The best possible is prohibitively expensive. Moreover, after a component performs at the +3 standard deviation level, more investment is just wasted.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default My Tech's Page

Quote Originally Posted by bullant12 View Post
    Shawn (spydertechnician) has posted a detailed explination on BRP's fix: http://spydertechnician.blogspot.com/

My Tech, Shawn, told me today the BRP Recall did NOT include wrapping the exhaust pipe He also said there may be more fixes coming for the HEAT issues...

He said he would wrap mine when the New Master Cylinder arrived, unknown when, it was ordered 3 days ago.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Good. Hope all you '13s are able to get upgraded ASAP, and back on the road!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I asked my dealer if they would wrap my pipes for me when I had it in for the recall, the heim joint replacement, and to fix whatever has gone wrong with my parking brake (the switch will lock it, but won't unlock it . . . I have to pull on the cable at the rear wheel to unlock it) . . . his response? "Gee, I don't know. I've never done that before." What? Wouldn't the appropriate answer be "Yes" or "No" . . . ??? I suspect that when I get my Spyder back, I'll be riding a longer distance to a different dealer . . . I suspect they are "A Honda Dealer who sells CanAm Spyders" rather than a business which should be called a CanAm dealership. BRP needs to step up the minimum requirements for places that want dealership franchises . . . especially when it comes to training mechanics. It is their brand name on the line.
    2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I live in Redlands, California. If anyone can't get BRP to pay for a tow to the dealer and lives within this area, I have a trailer and will load up your Spyder, then WE can take it over to Malcolm-Smith in Riverside for the retrofit. Please PM me. I am retired so almost any time is ok....however I am a busy guy, so we will have to coordinate times.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mine was in the shop already for stabilizer rod failure issue and they called yesterday to inform me of the recall and said parts are back ordered for the recall and have no idea when they will get them. They have had my bike going on 3 weeks. I'm a little Pi$$ed at BRP. They have replaced ball joints, replacing shocks when they get them and keeping the bike until when ever the brake cylinder parts come in.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    If you really need the best possible then you really need to rebuild everything you purchase.
    You forget to read the part of the sentance that said, "That I can afford..."
    But I do tend to spend a lot of time woindering what can be made better...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You forget to read the part of the sentance that said, "That I can afford..."
    But I do tend to spend a lot of time woindering what can be made better...
    Sorry...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
    Mine was in the shop already for stabilizer rod failure issue and they called yesterday to inform me of the recall and said parts are back ordered for the recall and have no idea when they will get them. They have had my bike going on 3 weeks. I'm a little Pi$$ed at BRP. They have replaced ball joints, replacing shocks when they get them and keeping the bike until when ever the brake cylinder parts come in.

The complaints were pretty slim for a few months around here. But the has really hit the fan recently. Between bad dealers, no parts and the 2013 melting pots, it seems the spyder has taken a step backwards. Lets hope the 2014's can right the ship and they take care of the 2013's for everyone's sake
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

If the 2014's turn out to be as problematic as the 2013's, BRP will be in limp mode. Just sayin.....

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Apparently there are many who weren't around when in years past the DPS was the "topic of the day" and the spyder would no longer exist.

Chris

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Made an appointment for mine after the service guy looked up my SN and told me mine was on the list. I've got mixed emotions, great to have the repairs done, but this is the second recall for my bike, I had a suspension recall fixed when it was in for the 600 mile service. I'd not counted on having multiple repairs in this short of a time, has me somewhat concerned for the amount of quality control being performed. I do like the bike and am not concerned, but if this starts to be habitual, they need to provide some kind of loaner. I am only 30+ miles from my dealer, but my wife can't drive and I hate having to be scrounging around for rides for my $26K motorcycle to go in for repairs.

Doc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post

Apparently there are many who weren't around when in years past the DPS was the "topic of the day" and the spyder would no longer exist.

Chris
    The DPS going wonkers was scary stuff.

Took BRP a while, but they fixed the problem and Spyders are still around.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Angry Oil change priblems

I took the Spyder in for its 600 mile service and paid big $$$.

Today I just got it back from a 3,000 mi service from a highly reputabe mechanic...he showed me the oil that came out. No way that oil had been in there for only 2,400 miles! No way.

Apparently the dealer that I bought it from DID NOT change the oil--even though he said he did. Yeah, I know: I have no proof and no recourse. I also know that if I mention that dealer's name I could be sued for defamation. ...so, word to the wise....demand the used oil filter and o rings be returned to you every time. You can throw them away when you get home, and the shop could still give you someone elses stuff and you wouldn't know it--but other than that I have no idea how to ensure the work really was done.

this is not a BRP problem...this is a dishonest dealer problem.