Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I'm hoping for a better seat in future models.

The seat on our 2012 RT LTD gets quite uncomfortable on long rides and after looking at other large touring bikes it is quite obvious why. The drivers portion of the Spyder seat is much too narrow. Our passenger portion is reasonably comfortable and is much wider than the drivers area. I have no interest in purchasing a Corbin or any other brand seat for hundreds of dollars and being a Limited we already have the Ultimate seat. I am just hoping BRP comes up with a better seat in the future. Please make a seat with a nice plush dished shape. I'm 6'2" and 210lbs. I have an Airhawk, have tried gel seats and have a real sheepskin.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

I'm sure your not alone.. Just have to wait and see..suggest it directly yo BRP and if enough do maybe they will change it.
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just remember; widening the seat will now force a relocation of the footpegs or floorboards...
    ...Nothing is ever as easy as we'd like it to be.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Just remember; widening the seat will now force a relocation of the footpegs or floorboards...
    ...Nothing is ever as easy as we'd like it to be.
    I disagree. Aftermarket seats seem to fit just fine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyderific View Post
    The seat on our 2012 RT LTD gets quite uncomfortable on long rides and after looking at other large touring bikes it is quite obvious why. The drivers portion of the Spyder seat is much too narrow. Our passenger portion is reasonably comfortable and is much wider than the drivers area. I have no interest in purchasing a Corbin or any other brand seat for hundreds of dollars and being a Limited we already have the Ultimate seat. I am just hoping BRP comes up with a better seat in the future. Please make a seat with a nice plush dished shape. I'm 6'2" and 210lbs. I have an Airhawk, have tried gel seats and have a real sheepskin.
    The seat on your Limited is the stock seat with embroidery on it. Ultimate is an aftermarket seat. The BRP Comfort Seat is an optional seat which is cut 2" further back than the stock seats. I don't think you are going to see your problem solved without forking over some more money.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    The seat on your Limited is the stock seat with embroidery on it. Ultimate is an aftermarket seat. The BRP Comfort Seat is an optional seat which is cut 2" further back than the stock seats. I don't think you are going to see your problem solved without forking over some more money.
    I guess I got the name wrong. Ours is the Comfort seat which our dealer told us comes with the LTD as it is somewhat more comfortable than one on the other RT's we have ridden. When we received our new LTD the dealer asked us if we felt the seat was too hard and then told us BRP sent some LTD's out with regular seats but they were stitched with the LTD logo. He got us a new seat and it was softer and longer in the driver area and with the LTD logo. Still a poor excuse for a seat but better than the stock one.

Spyder Garage

Hope you can get the seat issue solved, but it sounds like your mind is made up.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

if you thought keeping your Missus happy was tough; try keeping your butt happy on a really long day in the saddle!

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Seats are a personal thing. The seat may be too narrow for you and others, but it is perfect for some of the rest of us. it is too long for some, too short for others, and just right for many more. It may be too hard, too soft, or just right. The only real answer is a custom-made seat, seat rebuild, or aftermarket seat for those owners whose cabooses don't mate with the stock seat. Even the aftermarket has a lot of variation. No motorcycle made has an OEM seat that fits everyone who tries it.

Your dealer is mistaken...and is perpetuating an old advertising error. The LTD has the same seat as the RTS and base RT...just added embroidery. To get the comfort seat you have to buy one separately.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...And I don't think that there's much difference in price between them, and a Corbin...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    ...And I don't think that there's much difference in price between them, and a Corbin...
    A BRP comfort seat is about $595. The Corbin about $800 with a back rest for the driver.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wish my stressless seat will fit on mine, but I may fall to sleep while riding..

Spyder Garage

"and I have a real sheepskin"

Not me - never again. Eveytime I got off the dam thing tried to run away and then tring to get it to jump back on the saddle was a real PIA

As stated before no motorcycle comes with the perfect seat for everyone, The best I ever had was a custom one from Russel Day Long and the worst was from Corbin
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

OKAY!!!! I give up! Some of you know more than the rest of us and especially me! I guess I have a stock seat that is longer in the drivers area and softer than all the others we have sat on. There that should satisfy some.

But it is a Comfort seat that came with our LTD. Sorry for those that are not able to accept this.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

OKAY!!!! I give up! Some of you know more than the rest of us and especially me! I guess I have a stock seat that is longer in the drivers area and softer than all the others we have sat on. There that should satisfy some.

But it is a Comfort seat that came with our LTD. Sorry for those that are not able to accept this.
    If it is stitched with Limited on it it is not the Comfort seat. Look at the BRP brochure and you will see that all the stock seats have "comfort" in the description.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Is it embroidered as a limited seat? If it is 2" longer in the rider section, and is embroidered, it is what the dealer said...although a number of them have been delivered with an embroidered standard seat and several dealers have denied that the LTD came as originally advertised. If some did and some didn't, it would be good to know. If it is not embroidered as a limited, it was added by the dealer. That is very nice, but it would not be standard. I hope you can shed some more light on this.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=SpyderAnn01;682704]If it is stitched with Limited on it it is not the Comfort seat. Look at the BRP brochure and you will see that all the stock seats have "comfort" in the description.[/

i give up! This is my last post on this forum! Now you know it alls can have your way!

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Spyderific;682709]
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    If it is stitched with Limited on it it is not the Comfort seat. Look at the BRP brochure and you will see that all the stock seats have "comfort" in the description.[/

i give up! This is my last post on this forum! Now you know it alls can have your way!
    Why are you so upset? As I explained, a number of the early LTD's were delivered without what the brochure described. Dealers at the time contacted BRP and were told that was a mistake in advertising. That was reported here on the forum by multiple owners. Yours is the first report I can remember of a bonafide comfort seat on an LTD, and it is good to know that BRP has corrected this oversight. We thank you for the information. If you want to get angry, pack up your toys, and go away, so be it...but no malice was intended or even implied. We are all better educated by your answers and information. That is how this forum works and why it is so good. Sorry if I unintentionally offended you, but it certainly was not meant that way at all. We will be unhappy to see you go.

Spyder Garage

Default SEAT COMFORT

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Seats are a personal thing. The seat may be too narrow for you and others, but it is perfect for some of the rest of us. it is too long for some, too short for others, and just right for many more. It may be too hard, too soft, or just right. The only real answer is a custom-made seat, seat rebuild, or aftermarket seat for those owners whose cabooses don't mate with the stock seat. Even the aftermarket has a lot of variation. No motorcycle made has an OEM seat that fits everyone who tries it.

Your dealer is mistaken...and is perpetuating an old advertising error. The LTD has the same seat as the RTS and base RT...just added embroidery. To get the comfort seat you have to buy one separately.
    We just did a 9611 mile ride across the US (Oregon to Niagara Falls, ON). Our butts never got tired. One day we did 441 miles. No complaints here about comfort. I am 5'2, 155 lbs, hubby is 5'9 225 lbs. We each love our bikes. Only complaint we have is the foot heat.
    Our good friends have Gold Wings and always have to buy a new expensive seat for them. Again, personal choices.