Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Engine Oil

Spyder Garage

i checked a bottle of the mobil 1 10/40 synthetic motorcycle oil .it does not carry the SM designation .the car oil carries the SM designation (and a 6.00 /litre cheaper price tag )but no stock of the motorcycle oil at cdn tire for 2 months now .
    Last edited by wftb; 08-24-2013 at 05:13 PM. Reason: sounds less cofusing

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wftb View Post
    i checked a bottle of the mobil 1 10/40 synthetic motorcycle oil .it does not carry the SM designation .the car oil carries the SM designation (and a 6.00 /litre cheaper price tag )but no stock of the motorcycle oil at cdn tire for 2 months now .
    Sounds like old stock to me. The mobil 1 web site lists it as rated SM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

bottle of mobil 1 i have is called 4xt so that does explain the designation .it must be old stock .to bad they changed it , used to be 3.00 cheaper than the amsoil .probably why they are out of stock now .with the new change schedule at 7500KM , it really is not that expensive to run the amsoil anyway .

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Sounds like the new version is fine for the engine. Not so much for the clutch.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OldCowboy View Post
    Sounds like the new version is fine for the engine. Not so much for the clutch.
    You're right. There are a lot of oils out there that are just fine for the engine. But they will ruin your clutch. Some have tried these oils only to find that their clutch is slipping. If they catch it quickly the oil can be changed out to a properly spec-ed oil and be fine. But if it is not corrected quickly you'll be purchasing a new clutch.

It's much better to simply stay on the plantation and use an oil that is within BRP specs. I love going outside the box as there are always things you can do to improve your ride. But for some things, it's wise to stay inside the box.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use 5W40 Full Synth from Motul designed for Motorcycles. Meets all the requirements and is a true 5W40 runs quieter in the engine and seems to run cooler as well (just slightly not major) but every bit helps.

get it by the case to get free shipping. but cant go wrong with Baja Ron packages. lots use his stuff on here....

Spyder Garage

Default The Long and Winding road of oil choices...

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    Sounds like old stock to me. The mobil 1 web site lists it as rated SM.

I e mailed Mobil regarding this oil and the Can Am application, and recieved the reply all is well, its good to use. I have that little lingering voice in my head that says "SM raiting on the bottle". I am not going to use the Mobile 1 as a result of that. I checked out Valvoline website, and their line of full synthetic motor oils is NOT SM raited, so going with these. I have 500 miles on my new ST, and am waiting until about 800 for the first dealer oil change / check out. What you guys think?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by claychaser View Post
    I e mailed Mobil regarding this oil and the Can Am application, and recieved the reply all is well, its good to use. I have that little lingering voice in my head that says "SM raiting on the bottle". I am not going to use the Mobile 1 as a result of that. I checked out Valvoline website, and their line of full synthetic motor oils is NOT SM raited, so going with these. I have 500 miles on my new ST, and am waiting until about 800 for the first dealer oil change / check out. What you guys think?
    There are a lot of choices in 10W-40. So my thinking is why use something that may possibly (?????) cause a problem and BRP tells you not to use. Pick something else that is not rated SM.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I will always use recommended oil by BRP and oil listed on my owners manual.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My mechanic--who is majorly excellent--recommended Spectro. He put it in at the last oil change. I noticed that it seems to shift easier (I have a 2012 RT SE5). It also seems to run cooler. I asked him about this, and he said the Spectro oil is designed for high rev motorcycles. I still don't understand......I mean why would Spectro be "better" than BRP branded oil?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dan_Ashley View Post
    My mechanic--who is majorly excellent--recommended Spectro. He put it in at the last oil change. I asked him about this, and he said the Spectro oil is designed for high rev motorcycles. I still don't understand......I mean why would Spectro be "better" than BRP branded oil?
    Because he sells it!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyder4Tess View Post
    Because he sells it!
    Maybe. But the Spyder is running cooler, and shifts better.....I really don't get why....

Spyder Garage

Default Shell Rotella® T6 Full Synthetic

I use this a 5-30 grade and it works just great in my SM5

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by woodtouch6 View Post
    Use of a 30 weight oil in a Spyder does not meet BRP specs and is definitely not recommended! You use this at your own risk...and I certainly wouldn't post it publicly.

Spyder Garage

Default I meant 5/40 weight

Craig

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Any current SAE rated 10w-40 MOTORYCLE (because it's made for wet clutches) synthetic is a good substitute. I use Castrol from the local auto store because it's the cheapest synthetic motorcycle oil they carry. I've seen some attractively priced oil/filter offerings from one or more SL sponsors, and other online sources too.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You might want to rethink the use of Rotella T6 5W40 in your Spyder. According to the Shell Technical Data Sheet, this oil meets the specs for API SM (http://www.epc.shell.com/Docs/GPCDOC...%29_TDS_v1.pdf)

As others have noted and BRP has stated, the friction modifiers in API SM oils will allow the clutch to slip, resulting in premature wear.

Spyder Garage

I use the Rotella T6 (5W40) in everything else we own but will not in the Sypder due to the wet clutch issue. Did find out the Valvoline full synthetic Motorcycle 4Xt 10W40 is available at WalMart for about $8 so its not much more expensive anyway. Just one oddball lube to keep on hand.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It amazes me people will spend hundreds if not thousands on their spyder and yet will try to save $10 on an oil change every 5K miles.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    It amazes me people will spend hundreds if not thousands on their spyder and yet will try to save $10 on an oil change every 5K miles.
    Does paying 12 for the same qt of oil make he bike run better? Did it ever occur to you that the REASON I could pay cash for a Sypder was because I watched what I spent on so many other things? Why is it wrong to desire to pay less for the same quality? Buying it at a bike shop with higher markup does not improve the oil.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Your right SM rating will make your clutch slip and fail. Any full synthetic motorcycle oil an API SL, SJ, SH, or SG rating and JASO MA, MA2 rating is the best oil you can buy for a Spyder. I use Amsoil 10W40 motorcycle oil that meets all BRP ratings and it's shipped to my house for dealer prices. That's IMHO.

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Trickie Dick View Post
    It's not always about the money. I think what most people are looking for is the same or higher quality products for the same or lower price. Since that is an option with the Spyder, some take advantage of it.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

amsoil up here is 20.00 a quart .the BRP stuff is actually a little cheaper .the bike shifts better(2009 GS SE5 ) with amsoil in it .and when my oil pump gears failed , it had BRP oil in it .so i will stick with the amsoil .if there was an oil as good for 10.00 a quart , i would probably buy it .but living a hundred miles from the nearest major city , my choices are very limited .

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The listing shows that the oil meets JASO MA. Most, if not all, Japanese bikes share the engine oil with the transmission and clutch (in wet clutch applications). The MA rating means that the oil is suitable for that, in other words it does not have the friction modifiers. I use Rotella T6 in our Yamaha and Kawasaki bikes with no problems.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default BRP oil kits

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    There are a good number of oils out there that will work with your roadster. Some auto parts stores have XPS oils but the best deals are on line. I order the kits with 5-qt's oil filters o-rings and washers. As soon as I change oil I order again and always have enough spare oil to top off between changes. You just have to see what oils your local auto supply or bike shop near to you have...good luck..!!

Who can I order the BRP oil kits from, and what will they cost? Id prefer to buy from a sponor.

Jerry