Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

BRP provides 2 keys with every new Spyder and they come zip tied to the handle bars. If for some reason this does not happen it is the dealer's responsibility to correct the problem. I put the blame squarely on the dealer for not providing the OP with 2 keys when he took delivery. The dealer needs to make it right. Now that said, most problems have multiple causes. For that reason I believe the OP has some responsibility here. Spending an hour reading the owners manual he would have realised that he only received one key and that was bad news. He could have easily headed off this problem from getting worse with a phone call to the dealer and arrangements made to get a second key.

Another reason for pointing out that it was in the manual was because of comments from the OP and others about not believing that losing both keys can that big a deal. Well it is as the manual says.

As for the dealer quoting a cost of $1000.00 to fix well that's a bit excessive. Back of the envelope calculation. Ignition switch is $200, DESS module is $132 and 2 hours labour at $100 per hr. That makes $550 a good guess.

The Spyder is not special when it comes to transponder keys. I bought a used Ford Escape from a used car dealer. It had only one key and when I made the deal I included that the dealer get a second key. He complained to me later that the second key cost him almost $300.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Latest

Can,t agree more with most all the posts. I put it out so others might not have same problem, I appreciate the comments it helps all when we talk it out, and yes I do share some blame since I lost key and did not follow up to get a second key. No stones thrown here.

The dealer call today they spent yesterday talking with BRP so they are gonna try to make a mold of key, they have to switch out D.E.S.S. module if they can get ignition to turn total cost $400 (little high) they offered to split cost saying they should have given me second key. So to most posters point both are paying for their mistake.

If mold won't turn ignition then ignition to include DESS need to be rep laced total cost $700 don't know yet if they plan to split that with me. I do know they are trying and I do hope this conversation will help other spyder owners from repeating this problem.

One thing I am shocked at is the lack of excitement for my keyless trunk and seat release. I saw that as a major find that could really help those with keys locked in trunk or if you don't want to turn off bike to open either side?????????? Where is the love???? Even mechanic was shocked by my find.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jimsta View Post
    One thing I am shocked at is the lack of excitement for my keyless trunk and seat release. I saw that as a major find that could really help those with keys locked in trunk or if you don't want to turn off bike to open either side?????????? Where is the love???? Even mechanic was shocked by my find.
    Yes, you are right. That is a "major" find and I appreciated you posting the information. I am trying to assimilate the information and how I might put it to use. The way I handle my keys, I cannot imagine locking one up by mistake, but I am sure everyone who has done that, says that too.

I can imagine loosing my only key or being someplace (out-of_town) where I only have one key readily accessible. That one really hits home with me.

What really freaked me was the difficulty and expense you are going through to remedy your situation and I got focused on that.

I have ordered 2 additional keys from a third-party because of your plight. Since the keys are being cloned from an original, I am down to one key for a week or so.
    Last edited by Knarfoh; 08-16-2013 at 01:09 PM.