Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: exhausted

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default exhausted

ok everyone what am i doing wrong. i have ridden 2 wheels for years and now with my spyder rt/s i did around 60 miles today and my friend was riding his v max and when i got home i am exhausted. now i only have a lil over 300 miles on the bike because i am not a big fan of heat and it has been hot here in new york so i have stayed home but i feel i might be riding wrong some ware. i am still a lil worried gong into turns and i sometimes feel i need to keep up with my friend but this bike kicks the living daylights out of me. on a average how many miles did you have to get under your belts to feel comfortable on the 3 wheels. really looking forward to input on this matter, THANKS

Spyder Garage

Your sitting different and using different muscles than when piloting other vehicles. As you put more miles on, you will notice the exaustion effect will diminish. I have to do a stretch now every 50-75 miles or so--but I have a really bad hip--a different subject. Most people can do gas tank to gas tank if they want to--once you get your muscles broken in.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Take a deep breath and relax. It will come to you and you will know it. It just takes a little time.

Chris PS: [Edit: Confuscious say man who ride spyder behind V Max too long get EXHAUSTED. ]

I couldn't resist.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post
    Take a deep breath and relax. It will come to you and you will know it. It just takes a little time.

Chris PS: [Edit: Confuscious say man who ride spyder behind V Max too long get EXHAUSTED. ]

I couldn't resist.
    Had a Yamaha Venture (1984) with the V-Max engine in it. That was one fast, sweet, ride.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Learn to have light grip

Relax, breathe don't fight the Spyder...they respond well to light hands and relaxed body. How many miles? Different for each person. 2 wheelers seem to take longer cause have to learn the Spyder's ways. 600-1000 miles seems an average.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    ok everyone what am i doing wrong. i have ridden 2 wheels for years and now with my spyder rt/s i did around 60 miles today and my friend was riding his v max and when i got home i am exhausted. now i only have a lil over 300 miles on the bike because i am not a big fan of heat and it has been hot here in new york so i have stayed home but i feel i might be riding wrong some ware. i am still a lil worried gong into turns and i sometimes feel i need to keep up with my friend but this bike kicks the living daylights out of me. on a average how many miles did you have to get under your belts to feel comfortable on the 3 wheels. really looking forward to input on this matter, THANKS
    What year and model Spyder do you have?

Install a BajaRon sway bar!

JT

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default exhausted

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    riding a spyder is like riding a snowmobile lean in the turn like you do on 2 wheels the spyder is a safe bike fun to drive

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default You are fine..!!

your is a tension exhaustion along with some physical burn. 300 miles is barely a warm up. As stated, relax ease up on the death grip and ryde alone or with other spyders. Trying to ryde with veterans on two wheels is a brutal training ground. Later you will be right there with them or ahead of them. Give yourself time..!!
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Apprehension
    It's tightening you up like an over-wound alarm clock...
    BRP knows how to build stuff that'll go pretty straight down the road...
    Take time to learn to trust the bike and you'll be fine.
    As you pile up some miles and experience, the confidence will grow.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It took me 2 weeks going to work and back (19 miles one way) to get use to it.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I just got my RT-S today and did about 120 miles on Ozark backroads. I have a couple of observations.

1) Counter-Counter steer. What I mean is instead of pushing right to turn right, push right to turn left.
    2) Lean into the turn.
    3) Keep your head up and look down the road.
    4) Brake before the turn and accelerate out of the apex.

Having just taken delivery of my first Spyder, a rock-solid RT-S from Pit Bull, I believe much of the trouble new Spyder ryders have is due to improper preparation vehicle preparation by the dealer.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default exhausted

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Relax, breathe don't fight the Spyder...they respond well to light hands and relaxed body. How many miles? Different for each person. 2 wheelers seem to take longer cause have to learn the Spyder's ways. 600-1000 miles seems an average.
    I agree with murphybrown. One of my first Spyder rides was a long day of interstate highway riding. Easy riding at speed, no direct oncoming traffic. It helped me get used to a new riding style.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

More time, more time and be safe you'll be fine don't rush the climax. God bless

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Your problem is simple, You're trying to keep up with a Two wheeler, especially a powerful one, Ride your own ride and relax... A few years ago I followed my Son to Tug Hill [288 miles one way] he was on an Bussa I had a Spyder, I rode my ride he rode his ride and nobody got hurt..... Hero's are just a sandwich in NY. You don't need to be one on a Trike... Ride safe..

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post

I couldn't resist.
    instead of get exhausted, you could also have said--- smell exhausted!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Got my new Spyder a month ago and took it to South Lake Tahoe the 1st weekend. Like you, I had trepidation going into the twisties & turns AND was riding with a group of superbikes (GSX R). I felt fatigued after arriving at the destination (about a tank and 1/2) and again when I got home...but the ride did wonders for my trike handling skills. I had gotten more confident and comfortable with the maneuverability of the bike and started to trust myself more while riding her. IMO...nothing but time in the seat with the handlebars in your hands will make you more at ease. I had test driven demo models each year at the annual test drives, but that was not enough time in the seat to gain the familiarity I needed. It is hot here in Cali (over 100 the last week or so) but honestly, i'd rather be on my ST Ltd in the heat than in my SUV with the A/C on. I'd recommend taking as many excursions you can on your bike...it'll do you a world of good. 1 or 2 fairly decent trips should do the trick.

BTW...the Spyder kept up with the GSX Racers without a problem, and when we arrived in Tahoe the whole group was interested in my ride and the powerplant it had. I think they greatly underestimated it in the onset

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

its going to take 2-3 weeks of riding the spyder to overcome your muscle memory from riding 2 wheelers

Spyder Garage

The heat will take a lot out of you....but I found it did not take to long to get used to the spyder after all those years on two wheels. With my Spyder STS, I find my butt doesn't hurt and neither does my back, just passed the thousand mile mark with my 2013, and looking forward to many more miles of fun
    2017 F3T , silver

Spyder Garage

Just dropped my 2012 RT A&C at the dealer for my 600 mile break-in inspection. I felt the same exhaustion after my first few rides, but that is certainly starting to wane. Also, I have gotten extremely comfortable on the interstate.

Spyder Garage

Default Takes time and miles

It's going to take a lot of miles to get used to the spyder. You have to learn to trust the machine to do what it's made to do. Like others above said it's apprehension and you're putting a lot of tension on body parts you aren't used to using .You have to totally forget all the riding habits you used on two wheels , they just don't work on a spyder. riding straight roads you'd probably be totally fine and hardly exhausted at all but curves flat wear you out if you fight the bike. Don't try and muscle the bike in curves , not needed. Dropping down a gear or two going thru curves also helps , lower gears and higher rpms .Let off a tad going in and then romp it once you cornered coming out .Also like mentioned above , until you get your method down pat , don't try to keep up with two wheelers , it ain't gonna safely happen.

A BIG asset to riding is installing a swaybar from Baja Ron , you won't believe the difference it will make. Straightaways you have the same handling but on curves you'll have a totally different machine. If there was only one mod I could afford to add to the bike it would be the bar. Check your tire pressures , most ride 18-20 fronts and 28-30 rear. Increasing the front shock loading also makes a difference in the leaning on curves .

Some call the swaybar a farkle....I call it a necessity if you want to ride twistys.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

^ +1 ^ I'm also a new Spyder ryder and still have a bike. I was experiencing the same problems as you are.
    You'll get used to the differences. As stated above for a quick(er) fix a BajaRon Swaybar is very cost effective
    and will help you gain more confidence with your new trike.
    Don't try to take on V-Max power it ain't going to happen!! Ride at your own pace and you'll soon understand what
    makes the Spyder so much fun! HTH

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default EXHAUSTED

thanks for all the response's

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by exwinger View Post
    It's going to take a lot of miles to get used to the spyder. You have to learn to trust the machine to do what it's made to do. Like others above said it's apprehension and you're putting a lot of tension on body parts you aren't used to using .You have to totally forget all the riding habits you used on two wheels , they just don't work on a spyder. riding straight roads you'd probably be totally fine and hardly exhausted at all but curves flat wear you out if you fight the bike. Don't try and muscle the bike in curves , not needed. Dropping down a gear or two going thru curves also helps , lower gears and higher rpms .Let off a tad going in and then romp it once you cornered coming out .Also like mentioned above , until you get your method down pat , don't try to keep up with two wheelers , it ain't gonna safely happen.

A BIG asset to riding is installing a swaybar from Baja Ron , you won't believe the difference it will make. Straightaways you have the same handling but on curves you'll have a totally different machine. If there was only one mod I could afford to add to the bike it would be the bar. Check your tire pressures , most ride 18-20 fronts and 28-30 rear. Increasing the front shock loading also makes a difference in the leaning on curves .

Some call the swaybar a farkle....I call it a necessity if you want to ride twistys.
    All of the replies on this thread are valid, but this one takes the cake. This is complete and accurate. I have nothing to add, other than follow this advice to the letter.
    Good job ex winger!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I find the Spyder is more physical than either of my bikes; which I like. Reminds me of snowmobiling, or my 250 Quadracer and dirt bikes (back in the day). The pavement around here, in my part of rural MI, is frequently grooved, rough, and potholed...................so finding a path through it with a vehicle that has three separate tracks is more entertaining and physical than riding it with two wheels and a single track.

Oh yea; one other thing.........................how's your physical condition and conditioning? Needless to say; living healthy, and exercising (as in cardio and weight training) daily will make a difference in Spyder riding, and a whole bunch of other things as well. If you're not, and you decide to.....................don't mess yourself up (most of us are regrettably past our puppy years); consult with a doctor before starting any exercise regime. Good luck!

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

On the Spyder you steer though a turn instead of merely initiating the turn as on a 2-wheeler. While the Spyder is definitely more physical in the twisties than a bike, once a rider is accustomed to it, it is actually less tiring on a long trip...to me at least. At the end of a 600-750 mile day I always have something left when riding my Spyder...not so with the BMW. I attribute this to the Spyder being less mentally fatiguing. You don't have to worry about sand or gravel in the corners, wet leaves, different weight distribution with a passenger, and other such hazards. You are more visible, and feel that way since you can see more machine, too. Give the Spyder some time. Get used to it. ...and stop trying to catch the 2-wheelers until you feel the need to chase them.