Thread: Bluetooth

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Bluetooth

I have mine installed but I have some questions that the dealer could not answer. The first is - is the dongle hardwired into the audio system and will this come up on the in-dash computer display? The 2nd question is - if you leave the power on to the dongle, will it eventually drain the battery? It seems silly that you have to go into the frunk and turn it manually on and off!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

From what I know with the little info provided from BRP.

If you got the BRP dual stream BT device (Same as the Sena SM10) then yes it is always connected to the radio's 2nd port through the dongle adapter and cable. See the other BT post here.

The unit is not powered by the radio when the key is off. The SM10 has a battery in it so really when the key is on it is charging the battery in the SM10. As far as I know nothing comes up in the dash! All the radio is doing is feeing power to the SM10 and the 3 wires for audio (common, left, right channels) just like a 3.5mm earphone jack does. In fact if you go in your frunk and unplug the middle jack from the SM10, you will see it is nothing more than a 3.5mm audio jack. The dongle converts the pins from the radio to this 3.5mm input jack. THAT ALL!
    So there is no feedback from the SM10 back to the radio at all thus nothing to show on the dash. Radio has no idea it is really hooked up.

As far as turning it on and off manually. This is why some people that install the BRP unit themselves, put it in the trunk. Also the harness going to the frunk is long enough you could in fact do a little re-routing and handle bar mount the SM10. Anyway most people leave it on. Obviously if you leave it on long enough, the internal battery on the SM10 will die. On power up with the key it should turn on and start charging again. One issue though is if it does not bind right away to your headsets, you will have to open the frunk and press the bind button again (per the instructions). This is not like having to re-bind like from the start, it just causes the SM10 to attempt an auto-rebind.

I just got my units delivered 1 hour ago so I will be learning 100% how it all works this weekend. What I am telling you above is just what I either read from peoples posts here, or understood from the Sena instruction manual.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have the oem kit from can am on 2013 ST. It doesn't work like you'd expect if you leave the unit on.

From what I can tell the battery in the unit must have a certain amount of charge before it will turn on (even if it is connected to a power source). If the engine isn't running the unit eventually runs out of battery power. When you go to ride again, the unit doesn't turn on. It's battery has to charge up a little before it will turn on.

I keep my gloves in the frunk so I've just made it a habit of turning it on and off.

To answer your questions. The dongle doesn't 'show up'. It just pumps audio from whatever source you have selected on your radio whether it is a radio station or your IPod.

When the key is off, no power is supplied to the device.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...tions-Answered
    Last edited by AWEInCA; 06-28-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Bluetooth

OK. I have most of that. So the RT's speakers remain on? You have to mute them manually and the Bluetooth's volume is preset and independent?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Denstone View Post
    OK. I have most of that. So the RT's speakers remain on? You have to mute them manually and the Bluetooth's volume is preset and independent?
    Correct. You mute the external speakers. Volume is not controlled to the SM10 or our radio. You use the volume control on the headset.

Bob

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Makes you wonder why it cost so much!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Makes you wonder why it cost so much!!
    It doesn't have to! I bought stock Sena stuff and plan to do the wire up myself.

Bob

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Correct. You mute the external speakers. Volume is not controlled to the SM10 or our radio. You use the volume control on the headset.

Bob
    I control my volume through the radio, not the headset. There is a setting in the radio to turn the external speakers off.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AWEInCA View Post
    I control my volume through the radio, not the headset. There is a setting in the radio to turn the external speakers off.
    Is this with BT or the Accessory harness with wired helmets?

Bob

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Muting the speakers

In Settings, then Audio - you can turn the external speakers off and the Bluetooth still works.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

In Settings, then Audio - you can turn the external speakers off and the Bluetooth still works.

Correct.

Is this with BT or the Accessory harness with wired helmets?

Bob

Bluetooth.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Interesting. Several people have reported that with the BRP SM10 hooked to the radio that they cannot control BT volume from the radio and that only the mute function works.
    I don't have mine hooked up yet to test for sure but that's what many have said.

So your saying when you adjust the volume on the radio that it changes the BT volume as well?

What year RT do you guys have?

Bob

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default will verify

Interesting. Several people have reported that with the BRP SM10 hooked to the radio that they cannot control BT volume from the radio and that only the mute function works.
    I don't have mine hooked up yet to test for sure but that's what many have said.

So your saying when you adjust the volume on the radio that it changes the BT volume as well?

What year RT do you guys have?

Bob
    Well, I'm pretty sure the radio volume worked. I'll make sure I wasn't imagining it.

I have an ST 2013

Spyder Garage

Default Bluetooth - installed on my 2012 Spyder RT Limited

Hello fellow spyderlover friends.....

I too have installed the Bluetooth SENA system. It works fine, but here's a few tips:

1. I tried to buy the SM10 separately -- you can't do that in that BRP (in it's wisdom) has provided the radio to SM10 adapter cable only in the kit they sell (which includes the SM10) at a premium price. You CAN NOT buy the radio 2nd port cable directly -- must be purchased as part of the kit -- I found out the hard way and returned my orignial SM10 to Amazon.

2. Easy to install - I elected to put my transmitter in the rear storage area -- makes sense to me since the radio is so close. Easy to do and I just coiled up extra cable behind my right tail light and cable tied them. You can pull it into the rear area as far as you want. In order to make it watertight, I used electrical tape to increase the diameter around the wire so that it fits snuggly in the grommet.

3. YES, you must turn the transmitter on and off -- unfortunately. I left it on thinking I would ride the next day...it rained for several days. Went to ride...no hook-up. I think it must take a charge for awhile when completely dead before it hooks up. I would recommend to turn off after each use unless you are using in consecutive days. I make it a habit to automatically turn it off and have located it conveniently in the rear storage so that it's easy to reach to do that.

4. I had trouble with pairing it up initially with the headsets and called the rep.....well, the rep didn't know so he gave me SENA's Tech Service number: 866-300-1235. I was on hold about 10 minutes, but the tech was good and worked me through the pairing.

Good luck to you all with your install!!

Safe and happy ridin'
    Last edited by Jim&Teresa; 06-29-2013 at 06:05 PM.
    2014 RT Limited , Cognac

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Not to hijack, those that have the stand alone SMH10 might consider inside storage when hot. Although weather resistant, the owners manual discourages prolonged storage in heat (frunk...hot in triple digits, Garage...jungle hot in triple digits). Hot means 100F +

Source: Sena SMH10 User guide, page 35

Seemed relevant as we are all complaining of the heat

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JLSpyder2012 View Post

1. I tried to buy the SM10 separately -- you can't do that in that BRP (in it's wisdom) has provided the radio to SM10 adapter cable only in the kit they sell (which includes the SM10) at a premium price. You CAN NOT buy the radio 2nd port cable directly -- must be purchased as part of the kit -- I found out the hard way and returned my orignial SM10 to Amazon.
    I have now figured out the wiring of a stock Sena SM10 to the radio plug!
    I will document how to do this so people do not have to spend almost double getting the BRP unit with dongle.

Bob

Spyder Garage

Default bluetooth...

Here’s the system I used to get the audio signal from my RT to my Sena headset. This method allows any installed component (radio, iPod, GPS, etc.) to be heard in your helmet, and controlled from the audio controls on the RT.

I installed a Scosche LOC-80 line output converter in the left rear speaker housing, then tapped into the rear speaker wires for the input and used a dual RCA to 3.5 mm female cable on the output side. I ran this cable into the trunk, and then down and out the lower front side of the trunk, under the seat, and up through the hole in the Corbin seat where the backrest mounts. The backrest has a leather flap that covers this hole, and I was able to mount a Miccus BluBridge transmitter to the flap with Velcro. I then set my front/rear bias to favor the rear speakers.

This installation allows me to use either a 3.5 mm male/male cable, or Bluetooth to connect to the Sena unit on my helmet. Both work equally well, with no static or lag when the GPS or phone cut in and out. With the transmitter attached in this manner, it’s easy to remove for charging at the end of the day.BluBridge.jpgWired.jpgloc80.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That is a way to do it but then you cannot mute the speakers. Connecting to the BRP radio plug costs only wire and a connector. You can turn off the external speakers and still have full sound with anything that runs through the BRP radio.

I will be doing this work this week and will document fully how to do it. I am shooting for no soldering skills if I can find a connector that fits the radio plug. That search is going on now.

Bob

Spyder Garage

That is a way to do it but then you cannot mute the speakers. Connecting to the BRP radio plug costs only wire and a connector. You can turn off the external speakers and still have full sound with anything that runs through the BRP radio.

I will be doing this work this week and will document fully how to do it. I am shooting for no soldering skills if I can find a connector that fits the radio plug. That search is going on now.

Bob
    In my case I have an RT A/C which does not have the rear speakers installed. The wiring connectors are there, so it's easy to tap into them for the LOC inputs. Adjusting the bias toward the rear essentially lowers the front speaker volume, while favoring the signal going to the LOC-80 and Bluetooth transmitter. I can adjust the volume with the handlebar controls, and also fine tune with the jog dial.