Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Accident Avoided - Thanks BRP

I purchased a Spyder RT first and foremost for safety reasons. I haven't ridden a cycle for 30 years. Back then I was on 2 wheels and had a car pull away from a stop sign in front of me. Totaled the bike but luckily I walked away unhurt. I figured that I had burnt up enough lives so I would try something else. Got my private pilots licence. There's less traffic up there. Training to be a pilot is all about preparing for emergencies, planning ahead, and being fully aware of the airplanes performance, your surroundings, and your own abilities. These are concepts that served me well in the air as well as on the road in automobiles.

Last Sunday afternoon I was driving home from a day trip. I was traveling out of a small town. The speed limit was 35 MPH. The only traffic on the road in front of me was a late model subcompact car 100 yards ahead. The car was slowing down and had it's right blinker flashing to turn into the main thoroughfare of a subdivision. When I was about 75 feet away, instead of turning right the driver decided that they were going to make a U-turn in front of me. My foot was instantly on the brake and I veered hard left. I was looking down at the cars front bumper as I prepared for impact. The car had crossed the centerline by 2 feet. I heard a tire squeal and the car stopped. The driver had finally seen me. I watched as the Spyder's right front fender cleared in front of the cars front bumper by about 12 inches. I can tell you that it felt like the Spyders right front had tipped down. With the hard braking and the severe turn to the left, I'm not sure if the suspension gave that much or if the left front tire had come off the ground. Once clear of that car's bumper I released the break and turned to the right to stay on the roadway. There must have been an angel on my shoulder. As I rolled to a stop I saw the car driving away in my rearview mirror.

I didn't think about what I was doing I reacted. The Spyder did everything it was supposed though and I'm more grateful than ever to be a Spyder owner. With the anti-lock brakes and all the momentum of the Spyders weight on the front tires due to the rapid deceleration, the front wheels never stopped turning and I never lost control. I know I never could have pulled off a maneuver like that under the same circumstances on 2 wheels. I'm not real confident I would have been able to pull it off on three either if the 2 tires made up the rear axle.

Great engineering BRP

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry to hear that you had to find all of this out under real-traffic condtions , but I'm gald that it all worked out successfully for you!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Glad you're ok. And good work keeping it between the ditches and shiny side up!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Glad you're ok.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Frightening..!!

Glad things worked out and you and the "nanny" made a safe landing. Although we all complain about her she does have some redeeming qualities and it's good to hear they work..be safe..!!
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We're glad your ok , right on BRP.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Gald you're OK and man that sure was close.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Wow that is very lucky! People are real knuckle heads some times, but I am glad the Spyder did its job to save you from injury.
    I would have reacted just as you did. If it were I, and on 2 wheels, the bike would have immediately went down, locking brakes, and swerving are a bad combo on 2 wheels, and I guess, the cats meow on the spider...

were you riding alone?

Spyder Garage

Very glad to hear the safety equipment kicked in at the appropriate time. The safety equipment adds to the complexity of the but it is invaluable when needed.

The outcome would probably have been much different on two wheels.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kepople View Post
    Wow that is very lucky! People are real knuckle heads some times, but I am glad the Spyder did its job to save you from injury.
    I would have reacted just as you did. If it were I, and on 2 wheels, the bike would have immediately went down, locking brakes, and swerving are a bad combo on 2 wheels, and I guess, the cats meow on the spider...

were you riding alone?
    Yes I was riding alone. I would guess that if I would have had a passenger they too would have been OK had they been holding on to the grab handles or me (Which is the usual case). The instant the driver of the car decided to initiate that uturn I'm guessing that I was in their blind spot to the left of what they could have been seen in their rear view mirror alone. Any defensive driving coach will tell you that that is not a good place to be. But it does happen all the time if even for a moment.

I know because I have a Spyder I'm putting more miles on which increase my chances for an incident. The more baseball games you attend the better your chances of getting hit with a foul ball. I am not what I would call a seasoned rider. I have less than 2K on the Spyder. Being in my 50s I have road experience but I almost can't believe what I was able to pull off. I'm not that good. I would suggest that the safety features built into the Spyder provided the opportunity, I just executed a maneuver.

Spyder Garage

Default Accident

Quote Originally Posted by eaglemrpaul View Post
    Yes I was riding alone. I would guess that if I would have had a passenger they too would have been OK had they been holding on to the grab handles or me (Which is the usual case). The instant the driver of the car decided to initiate that uturn I'm guessing that I was in their blind spot to the left of what they could have been seen in their rear view mirror alone. Any defensive driving coach will tell you that that is not a good place to be. But it does happen all the time if even for a moment.

I know because I have a Spyder I'm putting more miles on which increase my chances for an incident. The more baseball games you attend the better your chances of getting hit with a foul ball. I am not what I would call a seasoned rider. I have less than 2K on the Spyder. Being in my 50s I have road experience but I almost can't believe what I was able to pull off. I'm not that good. I would suggest that the safety features built into the Spyder provided the opportunity, I just executed a maneuver.
    So happy everything turned out safe for you! May your Angels always ride with you!