Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BAD DEALERS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Illinois Boy View Post
    Regarding wait time on the phone... have you called any business that doesn't have a wait time -- especially a national or multi-national business? Maybe only a pizza-delivery has zero wait time... but sometimes they even put you on hold.
    I wish a Pizza delivery company was monitoring my Alarm system.... The intrusion alarm went off a while back after the wife and I had left for a car show (Turns out the Grandson opened the door, and his mother didn't deactivate the alarm pad in the proper order).
    Alarm company calls, and leaves a message on my Cell phone that there was an alarm condition, and to call them back. They left a number. When I got the message, I called the number back, and was connected to a menu tree!!! So instead of having direct lines to their alarm response center, all calls are routed through the same menu.

If Papa Johns was monitoring my alarm, not only would I have got a live person immediately, but their delivery driver would have been to the house faster than than the police....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Bad dealers are like every other business out there. The good ones thrive and the bad ones suffer or close up shop. It's our job to support the good ones and pass the word on of who they are. Just found out that Roundy's BRP of Spokane is closing up shop. Not surprised. Also will put a plug in for Jesco Marine and Power sports in Kalispell Montana. Those guys will bend over backwards to help you out.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I have been waiting for this thread

I am in the market for a new rss se 5 and I live in north Jersey near Motorcycle Mall. First I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good dealer in the area. I agree with one of the posters I tried my local dealer and found them lacking. The sales department was typical car sales type. How much you want you payment to be. I said my answer makes no difference best price and best interest equals best payment. But this wasn't my issue sales are sales. My issues was I learned more from this forum about the bike then I learned from them. My main issue was the service department didn't make me feel confident when I questioned them. It's been my experience that bad dealers only become good dealers when they can't make the money or their customers begin to go elsewhere for service. If the offending dealers are only selling at rock bottom prices and no-one returns for service which is big money for them they will start investigating as to why. Lastly, Maybe we should have a spyder lover approved dealers where we are rewarding good dealers with our business. I have been apart of something like that before. The owner/manager agrees to remedy ball issues asap and black and white pricing on service costs . The numbers here are large and there is strength in numbers. keep the info coming. Sorry my first post was so long but the forum brought it out me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by shelbydave View Post
    I wish a Pizza delivery company was monitoring my Alarm system.... The intrusion alarm went off a while back after the wife and I had left for a car show (Turns out the Grandson opened the door, and his mother didn't deactivate the alarm pad in the proper order).
    Alarm company calls, and leaves a message on my Cell phone that there was an alarm condition, and to call them back. They left a number. When I got the message, I called the number back, and was connected to a menu tree!!! So instead of having direct lines to their alarm response center, all calls are routed through the same menu.

If Papa Johns was monitoring my alarm, not only would I have got a live person immediately, but their delivery driver would have been to the house faster than than the police....
    LMAO! Not at your misfortune, but rather the fact you would prefer Pappa John's to answer your alarm. Funny stuff, and I agree...

I don't call PJ's any longer since I moved into the 21st century. I use their online order webpage now. Pizza is cheaper (even than coupons), and I get points that give me free pizzas once in a while! Ha! Can't beat it...

If only BRP would imitate PJ's service.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNur View Post
    Got this reply via e-mail after making several calls to the dealer upon finding the date I had planned to bring my Spyder in for a checkup was in conflict with a doctor's appointment on the same day. I would also like to point out that the salesman I talked to at this dealership, which I will refer to as Dealer #1, bragged about how good the mechanics are at his dealership and implied, at least to me, that people at the other dealership, which I will refer to as Dealer #2, apparently didn't have anyone on staff who are as good.

Credit must be given to Dealer #2 for going out of the way to send a tech to my location to get the unit started and then taking it into the shop for service when I got stranded because it wouldn't start. on several occasions. Who I do blame for the extended time in Dealer #2's service department is BRP for having a crap parts supply system, and, people within BRP who don't seem to have a fix for certain problems when called by dealers for help - - and who the dealer told me did not answer the dealer call for help line - - other than pulling out one part and replacing it with another.

No, I didn't buy the unit from Dealer #1, because I was quoted a price there that was thousands of dollars over the "SALE" price being offered by Dealer #2, but I was told by Dealer #1's salesman, and later by the owner, that any Spyder dealer would be more than happy to do warranty work on my unit when needed. Both suggested that since my Spyder had to be in the shop numerous times for the same problem(s) the techs at Dealer #2 apparently didn't know how address the problem(s) correctly. So, with all the bragging by Dealer #1 I decided to take it at its word and made an appointment to bring my unit there.

What follows is the response I got from Dealer #1:

"It has been brought to my attention that BRP will not payout for claims made a second time to dealerships if the problem is still occurring after another dealership has already worked on it. I explained that you had purchased the bike at another dealership at and continue to have nothing but issues with the unit since the date of purchase. They indicated we as a dealership would still not be able to claim any of the reimbursement, so we as a dealership choose not to take this unit in for service.

I would encourage you to go back to +++++ and have them service your bike and fix the issues that they have obviously not fixed and addressed. I’m sorry for your frustration, but please understand that this issue continues to penalize us with overbooking and we certainly want to continue to maintain our Platinum status for our customers.

Wishing you well.

Sincerely,"

Now I have three questions for this dealer and BRP: 1) Dealer - - "If bringing my unit to your dealership "penalize us with overbooking" then why was the appointment made in the first place?; 2) Dealer and BRP - - If I was on the road and from a different locale and had this problem would you both refuse to address it even though the unit is still under warranty?; and 3) BRP - - If I take this unit back to Dealer #2 for a check and fix, will you cover this service under the current and still in effect warranty?

I don't think I'm ganging up on anyone here, I just want a unit I can trust that will not leave me and my wife stranded who knows where.
    That does sound strange, and by all means you have the right to have a trustworthy unit. The only thing I can think of with BRP not paying out dealer #1 for the same issue, is that they possibly have no intention to pay twice for the same issue IF it is a dealer caused issue... So if Dealer #2 didn't fix it right the first time, BRP wants them to do it again, only on THEIR nickel.... I feel that is how it should work... The manufacturer, nor the customer should suffer from an incompetent dealer. However, if that dealer can't fix it, then you should have the right to go to another dealer for proper service. That then should fall on BRP to investigate why the first dealer couldn't fix it, and possibly revisit their contract with that dealer....

This is my opinion... for what that's worth...

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Talking

That does sound strange, and by all means you have the right to have a trustworthy unit. The only thing I can think of with BRP not paying out dealer #1 for the same issue, is that they possibly have no intention to pay twice for the same issue IF it is a dealer caused issue... So if Dealer #2 didn't fix it right the first time, BRP wants them to do it again, only on THEIR nickel.... I feel that is how it should work... The manufacturer, nor the customer should suffer from an incompetent dealer. However, if that dealer can't fix it, then you should have the right to go to another dealer for proper service. That then should fall on BRP to investigate why the first dealer couldn't fix it, and possibly revisit their contract with that dealer....

Well said.

Spyder Garage

Great post.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DaveNur View Post
    Got this reply via e-mail after making several calls to the dealer upon finding the date I had planned to bring my Spyder in for a checkup was in conflict with a doctor's appointment on the same day. I would also like to point out that the salesman I talked to at this dealership, which I will refer to as Dealer #1, bragged about how good the mechanics are at his dealership and implied, at least to me, that people at the other dealership, which I will refer to as Dealer #2, apparently didn't have anyone on staff who are as good.

Credit must be given to Dealer #2 for going out of the way to send a tech to my location to get the unit started and then taking it into the shop for service when I got stranded because it wouldn't start. on several occasions. Who I do blame for the extended time in Dealer #2's service department is BRP for having a crap parts supply system, and, people within BRP who don't seem to have a fix for certain problems when called by dealers for help - - and who the dealer told me did not answer the dealer call for help line - - other than pulling out one part and replacing it with another.

No, I didn't buy the unit from Dealer #1, because I was quoted a price there that was thousands of dollars over the "SALE" price being offered by Dealer #2, but I was told by Dealer #1's salesman, and later by the owner, that any Spyder dealer would be more than happy to do warranty work on my unit when needed. Both suggested that since my Spyder had to be in the shop numerous times for the same problem(s) the techs at Dealer #2 apparently didn't know how address the problem(s) correctly. So, with all the bragging by Dealer #1 I decided to take it at its word and made an appointment to bring my unit there.

What follows is the response I got from Dealer #1:

"It has been brought to my attention that BRP will not payout for claims made a second time to dealerships if the problem is still occurring after another dealership has already worked on it. I explained that you had purchased the bike at another dealership at and continue to have nothing but issues with the unit since the date of purchase. They indicated we as a dealership would still not be able to claim any of the reimbursement, so we as a dealership choose not to take this unit in for service.

I would encourage you to go back to +++++ and have them service your bike and fix the issues that they have obviously not fixed and addressed. I’m sorry for your frustration, but please understand that this issue continues to penalize us with overbooking and we certainly want to continue to maintain our Platinum status for our customers.

Wishing you well.

Sincerely,"

Now I have three questions for this dealer and BRP: 1) Dealer - - "If bringing my unit to your dealership "penalize us with overbooking" then why was the appointment made in the first place?; 2) Dealer and BRP - - If I was on the road and from a different locale and had this problem would you both refuse to address it even though the unit is still under warranty?; and 3) BRP - - If I take this unit back to Dealer #2 for a check and fix, will you cover this service under the current and still in effect warranty?

I don't think I'm ganging up on anyone here, I just want a unit I can trust that will not leave me and my wife stranded who knows where.
    One person isn't a "gang"... So you cannot possibly gang-up on anyone by yourself.

My reference wasn't directed to you personally, but to the fact a thread of multiple people coming together as a group and ranting as a "gang" - equals "gang-rant"; which accomplishes little to anyone's intended result.

As far as your situation sounds, given your word, any person would be upset. I have to admit, your point #2 brings up a good question... A question I would have brought up to either dealer. I sure as heck would expect to see warranty work covered by any authorized dealer, no matter how many times the occurrence or location of dealer in my travels.

In all honesty, it sounds like dealer #2 may not know what they are doing, and dealer #1 is just being an ass because you didn't buy it from them. If true, that IS going to happen from time to time. It has happened to me. I just don't think dealer one was being honest with you regarding his statement of warranty coverage. I would have waved the BS flag at him. Still would if I were you.

If I had a dealership, I would certainly put my buying customers ahead of non-buyers. Why tick-off those who bought from you, and may buy again? From a customer's view, paying more can be called helping improve the chances of at least receiving some priority to your needs, when needed. It would tick me off if a dealer delayed my work to do work on someone who bought elsewhere.

As far as stocking parts... Even the Harley dealers do not stock as much these days in a slower economy; and Harley is certainly the model for sport-vehicle dealership management thus far. No one else comes close yet.

So, if HD dealers have reduced inventory, there should be no surprise by anyone that most all dealers carry limited parts. Heck, even Ford and Chevy dealers have limited inventory these days.

Having said all this, I sympathize with your problem. Not sure what you do other than go back to the dealer you bought the unit from and start waving the BS flag... keeping it respectable, because an ass is the last thing that gets through the door...
    Last edited by Illinois Boy; 06-04-2013 at 04:09 PM.