Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Traffic Light Question For Motorcycles

Recently I was in the left turn lane at the intersection of 2 state highways. The traffic lights were all red for thru traffic going in my direction. I was the first and the only vehicle waiting (On my Spyder) for the left turn arrow to turn green to proceed. From the opposite direction there was also a left turn lane which was not occupied. I waited and watched as the stop and go lights cycled through completely except for the left turn signals. A car arrived from the opposite direction to occupy the left turn lane across from me. On the second cycle while I watched and waited the left turn lane light lit and I was on my way. Then yesterday I was at another stop and go light intersection. I was turning left from a county road onto a state hwy on the outskirts of town. I waited an extended period of time for the light to turn green. After waiting for what I would estimate 30 seconds I was joined at the intersection by a second motorcycle right next to me. We both waited for about another 20 seconds. My counterpart got bored and since there was no cross traffic in site, proceed straight through the red light and on his way. I have been at both of these intersections mentioned in a car and never had what I've described happen. Is this my imagination or could someone explain what's going on.

Spyder Garage

It's not your imagination, happens to me often.
    Traffic light sensors are often not triggered by motorcrcles and Spyders.
    Some riders attach rare earth magnets in the bottom of the motorcycle frames to help trigger the sensors in the road.
    In North Carolina, motorcycle riders are required to wait a reasonable amount of time, then proceed when it is safe to do so, regardless of light indication.

Spyder Garage

My educated bet would be that those intersections are like so many that we have here in H-town. They most likely have field sensors buried just below the surface of the road which detects when a vehicle is there once the field is interrupted by the metal in the car. Your bike doesn't have the same amount of metal and/or you didn't/couldn't cover the field enough simply due to the reduced size of your ride compared to that of a car to get the sensors to trip the light.

You can usually tell where the wires are in the road because they are generally covered over with that liquid tar stuff. On my BMW, I would always just pull up directly over one of the lines where the wires are buried, then just use my left foot to drop my center stand down enough to touch the road and that'd be enough to trigger just about any I ever came across.

On the Spyder, I try to get one of my front wheels over it. If the light hasn't tripped for me after two cycles, I take the turn at the third cycle when my lane gets the green light to go through and I'm able to safely make the turn. This is just my personal thing; I figure if a leo wants to tag me for it, I'll just plead my case in court; knock on wood, that's never come up yet.

Good luck; stay safe.

Spyder Garage

Oh yes this is one of my pet peeves. There is one of these intersections at the end of my street,!(can turn left or right only). If i get to the light first I usually turn right as I have never been able to trip the loop as it is buried under a repave. I assume your situation is similar and the left green requires the ibductive loop to trigger the light when it detects a change in electromagnetic field produced by a vehicle. Bikes usually do not "upset" the field enough to trigger. Here is a Wiki-how that explains it and gives some suggestions, sometimes they work.
    http://m.wikihow.com/Trigger-Green-Traffic-Lights

Spyder Garage

My lead foot has never been much for triggering green lights... But it works wonders for Flashing BLUE!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Couple of things come to my mind. First is the sensor as previously mentioned. If I feel that it is not recognizing my spyder, I literally stand up and jump up and down to trip the sensor. Don't laugh. It does work.

Some turn signals are such that if you aren't stopped at the signal within a certain amount of time before it is supposed to activate, then you will not have benefit of the signal. In other words it will go through another cycle before allowing you to turn.

The second thing that comes to mind is that the signal is broken.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Plyrod38 View Post
    In North Carolina, motorcycle riders are required to wait a reasonable amount of time, then proceed when it is safe to do so, regardless of light indication.
    Missouri recently passed a similar law for bikes. I think it specifies riders must wait at least two minutes.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Spyder Garage

A lot of the time the culprit is a fresh layer of asphalt, which increases the vehicle's distance above the sensor loop, while simultaneously hiding the cuts in the concrete that show you where to position your bike.

2013 RS-S SM5 [His] • 2021 RT Base [Hers] • 1977 Bultaco custom roadster • 1974 Harley-Davidson/Aermacchi 350 SS

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

After reading a couple of responses I did some internet investigating on these wires (that I didn't know were there) and I question why this phenomenon isn't brought up in the operators manual. I'm not new to motorcycles but it has been close to thirty years between rides. I guess back in the 70's all traffic lights were on a timer. I'm also a little surprised that the manufacturers haven't addressed this issue by installing what is suggested to work. I would also suggest this problem be added to the Spyder "Dos & Don't" which I read several times before my first ride. It's a wonderful post and I think this would be a great addition.

Hopefully we at Spyderlovers can come up with some kind of solution be it magnets or whatever that consistently works. I have read some articles that suggest that some states allow for motorcycles to proceed through red lights after an unspecified amount of time if there is no traffic. The problem is that several intersection around my area have cameras to catch red light runners. The idea of taking time off to attend court and possibly having a traffic citation reversed is not a viable option left to chance. I'm thinking about a license point system and increased insurance premiums here. Also many of our Spyder riders travel several states that may or may not have the same consideration for traffic light laws as they pertain to motorcycles.

I'm not mad. I understand the physics but I am disappointed that I didn't understand the principle of this phenomenon before hand.

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post

Is that what the red light means, it's broken?

Roger, I'm not sure I'd want to use that one for the judge. <smiles>

Chris

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

It is often a problem...with bothe the magnetic trip type and the camera activated signals. It varies from signal to signal. I usally try to avoid the troublesome ones on my regular routes. There was one in my neighborhood that I couldn't avoid. I beat that one by always taking a right turn, then making a cirle at the next block, or a U-turn in the church parking lot. The best results come from stopping directly over the wires, if visible, especially if you can stop at a corner of the wires so you cover them in two directions. If you can't see the wires, stopping near the center line, and as near as possible to the line you have to stop behind, seems to help.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I pulled up to a left turn signal in town and had the same problem. City LEO was coming up in the next lane over as I made the left turn on red. Thought I was busted but he kept going. I could see in my mirror he was looking at me. Asked a deputy friend of mine what a 'reasonable' amount of time was. He said it's not specifically stated but use good judgement. I said if I sit through one cycle and still don't get the green would it be ok to go. He said "use good judgement". The GPS I have will alert you to red light cameras.

Spyder Garage

It is legal in most areas to turn right on red after stopping and the way is clear.

Is it legal anywhere to do the same when turning left on a red light when the highway is divided?
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    It is legal in most areas to turn right on red after stopping and the way is clear.

Is it legal anywhere to do the same when turning left on a red light when the highway is divided?
    Not in Flarda. (and this includes turning left, at the light, onto a one way street heading left.)

Chris

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Use good judgement = you're own your own = don't want ya mad at me

Give light one complete cycle - then when clear in all directions get out of dodge.

Sure, you're risking a ticket, but don't think there are too many judges that wouldn't toss it out once explained.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

There are only two traffic lights in my town one is controlled by wires underground, With the controlled one my Spyder would never trip it but it is at a slight upgrade, So i would clutch and let it roll back a little, That would trip it every time. And if a car was behind me' so i couldn't roll back i would move forward a little and the car would trip it, As a side note my Tri-Glide would have no trouble tripping it, More iron i guess..??
    As far as how long to Wait use good judgement on that, Just about every cop will give you a pass on that... But remember the key words are;; Good judgement...

Spyder Garage

Default Call

I have call the public works dept of a local city to explain that I am having a problem with a particular light. They adjusted the sensitivity and corrected the problem.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Floria Law ?

The State of Confusion (I mean - Floridah) has a law that in general terminology says that a motorcyclist stopped at a light must wait for green. If the light cycles through 2 X you may proceed with due caution through the intersection an be on your way.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MouthPiece View Post

The second thing that comes to mind is that the signal is broken.
    Broken signal lights will be in one of two states, flashing (because I'm confused or I'm not getting an input from the controller) or off (cause I'm REALLY broken).

JT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

SC law now(after ABATE got it changed)says motorcycles can treat a red as a stop sign after 2 min.,can proceed with caution. most of the time someone will trip the light from the other side.

Spyder Garage

This can be a problem at drive thru windows also.

The best product on the market is the Green Light Trigger HD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    This can be a problem at drive thru windows also.

The best product on the market is the Green Light Trigger HD.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    And or, some days our gate won't open to let us out

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Virginia's law changed back in 2011 to allow you go through a red light after 2 cycles or 2 minutes, whichever is shorter.

Virginia Code 46.2-833:
    Notwithstanding any other provision of law, if a driver of a motorcycle or moped or a bicycle rider approaches an intersection that is controlled by a traffic light, the driver or rider may proceed through the intersection on a steady red light only if the driver or rider (i) comes to a full and complete stop at the intersection for two complete cycles of the traffic light or for two minutes, whichever is shorter, (ii) exercises due care as provided by law, (iii) otherwise treats the traffic control device as a stop sign, (iv) determines that it is safe to proceed, and (v) yields the right of way to the driver of any vehicle approaching on such other highway from either direction.

Spyder Garage

http://bikernation.net/stoplightbill...id%20in%202005...

Reasonably current information on red lights.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Exposure.

The one thing that has 'always' concerned me most, and has, through many years of riding. Be it bicycling. Which for years I did in excess, (15K a year), plus motorcycle riding time.

That equates to a lot of hours out there and lots of stop signs/lights.

My point.

I spend as little time as possible in the target zone, and always leave myself an out.

Never ever pull up tight to the vehicle in front of you. Especially on a trike. I'd much rather have to take the side off the car next to me as I would have some idiot hit me from behind.

Something to think about. tol