Thread: Tire Pressure?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Tire Pressure?

I have a 2013 RT Ltd and I am gravitationally challenged fellow at 300lbs. For my situation forum recommendations appear to be tire pressures of 18psi in the front and 28psi in the rear. There was mention in the Spyder "dos and don'ts" that tire pressures may be different for 2013 models due to suspension configuration differences against 2012 models and earlier. Does the 18/28 recommendation still hold?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Owner's Manual has something ridiculous like 14 for the fronts but I think most people are running between 18 and 20. Mine were at 20 from the dealer. 28 rear still seems to be the norm. How does the ride feel to you at 18 and 28?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Tire pressures in these things are like salt.

There are limits to how much you should add but there is a range that will work and you need to decide by trial and error.

Shock settings, load and ryding style all figure in.
    So true.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    The Owner's Manual has something ridiculous like 14 for the fronts but I think most people are running between 18 and 20. Mine were at 20 from the dealer. 28 rear still seems to be the norm. How does the ride feel to you at 18 and 28?
    My dealer set front and back to Owner Manual specs (15/28). I find the spyder wallows in turns at these pressures. I have been told that this is normal handling characteristics for this vehicle. I personally would prefer if it felt more like it was riding on rails but not so hard that it feels like I'm riding a "buckboard".

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Considering..!!

your afore mentioned challenge, I would run on the high side of norm...jmo..!!
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by JayJay View Post
    My dealer set front and back to Owner Manual specs (15/28). I find the spyder wallows in turns at these pressures. I have been told that this is normal handling characteristics for this vehicle. I personally would prefer if it felt more like it was riding on rails but not so hard that it feels like I'm riding a "buckboard".
    Check the inflation label embossed on the front and rear tire. Don't go over those maximums but slowly work yourself towards them until YOU find home.

Spyder Garage

I run 18/28 in my 2012 RT and to get rid of the over steer in the corners I installed a BajaRon sway bar. The difference is night and day with the stock 2012 sway bar.

JT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

18 psi seems like a decent spot to give a try...
    If you add too much air, the sidewalls don't "give" over road surface irregularities and the ride suffers...
    I'm sure that you already know what too little pressure feels like!
    Roger is right; "Season it to your taste" And please let us know what works best...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I'm a big guy, too. I run 20/30. Matter of fact, the dealersip shop returned it to me at those pressures.
    ESCI LED Brake Light, Ram mounts including ATV mount, mug holder and phone/GPS holder. Lamonster's NBV highway brackets. My version of Running Boards, Skid Plate, Bajaron's anti-sway bar, Dual flag bracket and flags. Bad Boy air horn. BRP air deflectors, Non-BRP hitch and USA Minitrailer Nomad, SENA Bluetooth Dongle.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

The wallowing in turns can be somewhat helped by raising the front tire pressure. It costs nothing, and doesn't hurt anything. Try it, you may like it.

Other cures for the excessive body roll are not as readily available to the 2013 owner. The shocks are not adjustable, so you can't set them up to maximum, although putting more air in the rear air bag may help a bit. There is no BajaRon aftermarket swaybar as yet, but it is coming and will certainly help. In the end, if Elka offers adjustable shocks, those may be helpful.

Good riding technique will certainly help. Try to lean into the corners, shifting your body weight. Think of it a trying to kiss the knuckles of your inside hand. Pushing hard with your foot onto the outside footpeg/footboard, as if trying to carve a turn skiing, can be helpful. Practice smooth corners, slow before entering the turn, or even use a little trail braking, and accelerate out of the corners. Start wide in the corner and cut toward the inside of the turn near the apex, then drift out wide again. That widens the turn radius.

In the end, you have to decide what you want the most. You can't get a soft, cushy Cadillac ride while achieving sports car handling. They are pretty much a trade-off. Usually most of us can find a good compromise somewhere in the middle.