Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default NOT happy with my dealer service...

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post
    Just called my dealer and they quoted me $580 for the 14k full service. Their labor rate is $90 per hour. Something is just wrong with some of the price quotes dealers are asking. I've always thought my dealer was expensive....
    Just for fun I called another Spyder dealer and was quoted. 1,100 for labor and 300 for parts. Their labor rate is $110 per hour. They gave me a breakdown of what would be done and too much of it was fluids and checks. This dealer and the above dealer are less than 20 miles apart. Just amazing that there's no standard to the charges!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default ???

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    Tuck, 3K every 14,000 miles means a person would reinvest the total value of a $30.000.00 spyder every 140,000 miles( in 14K services alone - not to mention all the normal wear items). That's just plain nuts. Don't care who is running the pencil. If.....this turns out to be the case with maintaining spyders. They won't make it. Hell, my Vettes never cost that kind of money. And I've had many.
    The point of my write-up was to show folks that overall, for 3 years mx, all the things covered, that I mentioned, I paid a total of way, way less than that itemized in this service. I figure I'm saving mega bucks, getting all that BRP stipulates (things I might pass on or find a less expensive solution for) and getting it for peanuts, compared to the invoice which I simply filed away. I have no knowledge of the 14,000 mile check mentioned, unless it was a 6,000 under the old system and then a 9,300 under the new system, plus 2 or 3 things that were at 14. If the HD and GW guys think they can beat a couple grand for 3 years and a lot of mileage, I've had both and that's not the case. If folks want to read 1/2 of it and then say where's the grease, I'm sorry that they are not reading and absorbing what I think I wrote. I never would have purchased a Spyder without mx and extended warranty packages. I have no intention of putting out the money you are referring to. I'll just truck along, pay out no money in the next 20,000 miles, get all the work done that BRP stipulates and be a happy guy.After that, I've got my eye on two super mx guys who have expressed interest and who have done a couple routene things for me at virtually no charge and "in the neighborhood"

Tuck

Enough said
    Tuck

Culpeper, VA-Virginia's most misspelled town!
    Spyder Garage

Default Another dealer option--

Dave-
    When we meet in Maggie Valley, I'll make sure to have cards from my servicing dealer, as we have messaged about. Yes, it is a bit of a ride for you, but it is right pretty country down here!!
    Doug

Spyder Garage

Brake flushes are a total money grab. I have a 99 Valkyrie and the only time I did a brake flush is when I went to SS lines three years ago. Even though my bike doesn't have abs it wouldn't have made a difference. My cousin is a mechanic and he does power flushes all the time on Hyundai cars and it only takes him about 20 mins to do one. He has told me that it is a money maker for the stealership. I only did one on my impala after it had 150000 kms on it. Brakes still worked fine but I got it done for free. By the way, when I bled the system on my Valkyrie it only took me 1 hour and I put in new lines and had to bleed the new lines and two master cylinders.

But the question is why..why...why are they replacing the brake fluid with only 14k miles on it. Also, there is no way in the world that the coolant would need to be changed at such low mileage.

I am really sorry you got hosed so bad.
    Last edited by bscrive; 05-29-2013 at 09:00 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    Brake flushes are a total money grab. I have a 99 Valkyrie and the only time I did a brake flush is when I went to SS lines three years ago. Even though my bike doesn't have abs it wouldn't have made a difference. My cousin is a mechanic and he does power flushes all the time on Hyundai cars and it only takes him about 20 mins to do one. He has told me that it is a money maker for the stealership. I only did one on my impala after it had 150000 kms on it. Brakes still worked fine but I got it done for free. By the way, when I bled the system on my Valkyrie it only took me 1 hour and I put in new lines and had to bleed the new lines and two master cylinders.

But the question is why..why...why are they replacing the brake fluid with only 14k miles on it. Also, there is no way in the world that the coolant would need to be changed at such low mileage.

Years ago I purchased a universal fit pressurized brake fluid bleeder for $90. That little gadget has saved me a small fortune and makes brake flushes a 20 minute one man operation breeze.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's what's in the Spyder maintenance schedule, per the manual.

I think I'll be reconsidering more than just the valve check on that maintenance schedule...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default THE WHY WHY WHY OF IT

Answer to the Question Why, Why, Why,........................Because they are MAKING A PILE OF MONEY for claiming they DID IT.......But did they even DO IT ? ? Same thing goes DOUBLE for VALVE ADJUSTMENTS.........Mike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Well at least I see that they didn't make you buy the grease they used on you while they had you bent over the lift table...
    Or didn't they use grease??
    Sorry...
    Gosh, Bob, looks like you missed it...
    Shop supplies: $26.00
    Hey, you can get a complete oil change & lube on your car for that much! I think that line-item is just one more rip. Why don't those astronomical labor rates cover that?
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Perhaps it's because these fluids die with time instead of miles? I know some coolants gel with time and stop flowing; I've had that happen in a car.

But I've never heard of brake fluid replacement before... even with automotive brake jobs they just bleed the lines and add new fluid as needed. However, if it's to maintain the integrity of the Nanny's ABS and especially VSS then we shouldn't question it. Does anyone know? They should just tell us! Intelligent minds would be satisfied with reasonable explanations.

And "adjust the valves?" What, you mean the Rotax doesn't even have hydraulic lifters? (Hmmmm, moboy sez to self... maybe that's why it's possible to red-line that baby at 9000 rpm...? Check!)
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by daveinva View Post

Because I do NOT want to pay that much again at this interval.

But bottom line: I can only imagine how much MORE expensive this service would have been for me had they done all of the above. I'm thinking I'd have been close to $1500 territory with the valve check included.

Lessons learned? I'm going to suck it up and do my own oil changes from now on. And at the above price I think I'm going to figure out how to replace my own brake pads as well. I'll take it into the dealer to handle BUDS checkups and the like, but anything I can do on my own, I'll do on my own, and just document the heck out of it to protect myself in the event of warranty issues. Fingers crossed.
    Vote with your wallet and find another dealer. A DIY oil change will run you about 45 or 50. Brake pads don't look any more difficult than most motorcycles. Brake fluid does absorb moisture over time, but to say it takes 2 people, and an hour for each wheel cylinder is insane. I'm sorry but labor rate is not billed per tech, but by service performed, at least that's my experience, both getting repairs done, and in my industry. Think about the money making deal for the service department there.. A tech might make 20.00 an hour in pay, with a burden rate of about 50.00 with insurance and benefits in a big dealership. Then along comes Bubba, the wash guy to hold down the brake pedal and glance at the master to make sure it doesn't run dry. He adds another 7.25 an hour to the bill, and puts another 99.00 in the dealers pocket? Not from me he wouldn't. But I digress.. You have the right attitude, go enjoy a ride,and do some of your own work next time.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    Gosh, Bob, looks like you missed it..."Shop supplies: $26.00"
    Is that what they're calling condoms today?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: NOT happy with my dealer service...

I never had an issue with my mechanics. Mine was with having to WAIT for parts.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Default Latest Service Schedule

Service Intervals - as of May 28, 2012

600 miles
    4600 miles
    9300 miles
    14,000 miles

* Except units registered in California

http://www.spydertechnician.com/dlfiles/Updated_Maintenance_Schedule.pdf

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    Perhaps it's because these fluids die with time instead of miles? I know some coolants gel with time and stop flowing; I've had that happen in a car.

But I've never heard of brake fluid replacement before... even with automotive brake jobs they just bleed the lines and add new fluid as needed. However, if it's to maintain the integrity of the Nanny's ABS and especially VSS then we shouldn't question it. Does anyone know? They should just tell us! Intelligent minds would be satisfied with reasonable explanations.

And "adjust the valves?" What, you mean the Rotax doesn't even have hydraulic lifters? (Hmmmm, moboy sez to self... maybe that's why it's possible to red-line that baby at 9000 rpm...? Check!)
    Brake fluid should indeed be replaced every 2-3 years. It's hygroscopic, it readily absorbs moisture. If enough water is absorbed in the fluid the water can boil when the brakes get hot. Boiling creates gas and gas is compressible so in a worst case scenario you could experience significantly impaired braking. So if you don't change the brake fluid you are effectively reducing its boiling temperature every year.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Both of our RT's had rears replaced and the price for the tire was $138. Labor was a little high because they had to R&R the trailer hitches and replace rear pads.. still got out of there for under $200. Sometimes I think dealers use dartboard pricing!
    Wow...for my rear tire it was $200 for tire 2 x $110/hour + ride on balance = $500!

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Default DIY'ers

SPEED BLEEDER with built-in check valve.

A one-person bleeder screw.

http://www.speedbleeder.com/
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 05-30-2013 at 10:13 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by waytootall67 View Post
    Wow...for my rear tire it was $200 for tire 2 x $110/hour + ride on balance = $500!
    With that labor bill they must have trailered the Spyder to Edmonton to do the work!
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Default NOT happy with my dealer service...

Ultimate Spyderlover
    Spyder Garage

Wow....it costs more to service these spyders in some sections of the country than it does a Lamborghini.....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I know... I had to lay off the Chauffeur so that I could keep up with the maintenance on them!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

This whole service deal preys on fear. Changing the coolant and brake fluid at 14,000 miles is insane. How the hell is any of this maintenance necessary on a spyder but not a car? If your dealer wanted you to change brake fluid or antifreeze in your car at 60,000 miles you'd laugh at him and walk away so what's so magical about the spyder? The engine isn't overheating right? So the coolant must be doing it's job right? The brakes work so the brake fluid must still be in there and working properly. There is no way in hell that the brake fluid is going to solidify and quit flowing IF it magically turns to **** it will only make your calipers hang up and not release fully. I'm probably going to take my $1,000+ and put it into a spyder longblock fund and roll the dice if i ever get to 14,000 miles. If you pay the labor on the brake bleed procedure tell the dealership to spend the money on a power bleeder and a class on how to use it

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ARCTIC View Post
    This whole service deal preys on fear. Changing the coolant and brake fluid at 14,000 miles is insane. How the hell is any of this maintenance necessary on a spyder but not a car? If your dealer wanted you to change brake fluid or antifreeze in your car at 60,000 miles you'd laugh at him and walk away so what's so magical about the spyder? The engine isn't overheating right? So the coolant must be doing it's job right? The brakes work so the brake fluid must still be in there and working properly. There is no way in hell that the brake fluid is going to solidify and quit flowing IF it magically turns to **** it will only make your calipers hang up and not release fully. I'm probably going to take my $1,000+ and put it into a spyder longblock fund and roll the dice if i ever get to 14,000 miles. If you pay the labor on the brake bleed procedure tell the dealership to spend the money on a power bleeder and a class on how to use it

Spyder Garage

On my Goldwing the change all brake/clutch fluid is at 12,000 miles. The fluid degrades from the heat, I assume that brakes on bikes might get a bit hotter but that is an assumption only. I have 150,000 miles on the brake fluid in my Chevy Z71 so I know where your coming from...

JT

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

ARCTIC,
    I kind of get where you're coming from; but if you think of the maintenance as a way to prevent these issues from popping up...
    You really don't want to wait until the bike is along the road and peeing coolant, before you think about changing it...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    ARCTIC,
    I kind of get where you're coming from; but if you think of the maintenance as a way to prevent these issues from popping up...
    You really don't want to wait until the bike is along the road and peeing coolant, before you think about changing it...
    I bet if i pulled my $1,000 out of my pocket that i didn't spend on maintenance I could find a nice ride for me and my spyder