Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Grrrr, Spyder's in the shop...

... just getting her 12,000 mile service, that's all.

I guess, technically, it's the 14,000 mile service now per the new schedule. I kinda/sorta split the difference and took the bike in at 13,300 miles. I would have ridden it until 14K but I wanted to get the service in before Maggie Valley, and my local dealer is so erratic schedule-wise that I never can be guaranteed when I'll get the Spyder back (sometimes a few days, sometimes a week++). Yeah, it's frustrating, but I roll with it.

For the record, I spent more time at the service department yesterday explaining what I *DIDN'T* want done versus what I wanted done. Namely, I didn't want the valve check, exhaust gaskets (replaced mine with the Goldwing gaskets ~6K miles), and spark plugs (replaced mine with BajaRon's plugs & wires ~9K miles).

Still, between the usual oil change, plus a coolant and brake flush, AND likely new pads (like all Spyders they always squealed after first start/reverse, but now my fronts are squealing mid-ride going forward, so getting those checked), the parts and labor won't be cheap even after foregoing the valve check. (Especially at D.C. bike labor rates-- $99 an hour for a Spyder ).

Anyway, the dealer suggests I may have the Spyder back as early as this (sunny) weekend. Here's hoping!

(Why did I post this? Dunno... therapy... "Spyder withdrawal" and all!)
    Last edited by daveinva; 05-15-2013 at 07:25 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Withdrawal can be rough...
    I've GOT to get mine in for a new rear tire; I'm actively pushing for a day out of the office so that I can wait for the bike, and then ride it back home.
    Otherwise; it's a case of dropping it off (108 mile round trip!), and picking it up on another day!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default I'm Spoiled

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Withdrawal can be rough...
    I've GOT to get mine in for a new rear tire; I'm actively pushing for a day out of the office so that I can wait for the bike, and then ride it back home.
    Otherwise; it's a case of dropping it off (108 mile round trip!), and picking it up on another day!

I guess I am so lucky and spoiled some people must hate me. I live 3.9 miles from my dealer. They have never kept my Spyder overnight unless it was my suggestion. I know everyone including the newbies. The owner and I sit in the customer's coffee lounge and drink coffee together.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hope they get it back to you quickly and you are able to ryde this weekend. Best of luck.

Spyder Garage

Putting mine in the shop for the 7000 mile service. Ihope to have it back by friday.

Spyder Garage

Brought the 2011 RT A & C into the shop yesterday for 6000 mile service. In at 9:00 and picked it up 4:00 in the afternoon. Had the BRP comfort seat installed ($22 extra) as well as the new oil change panel ($0).

Today, I am planning on a shake down ryde to test out the new comfort seat.

Happy to say, other than the above, the has been trouble free.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yeah, my local dealer has a couple of Spyder-trained techs but the dealer also works on every bike and scooter other than HD, so the techs don't always get to dedicate their time just to the Spyders. And I'm not exaggerating when I tell you there are easily over a hundred bikes in their service garage at any one time-- they're never begging for business. So, it's a crap shoot whenever I drop off the bike (they also don't do appointments, either).

There are some Spyder dealers further out that do work by appointment (and are cheaper, too), but by and large, I don't mind driving just a few miles down the road to the local shop and letting them handle it. If I time it right, I luck out dropping it off at the beginning of the week, and have it back a few days later. PITA since the Spyder isn't just a toy but also my daily driver, but not a big deal since I can take a bus to work and share a car with my GF.

That all said, I sure would love having a local dealer with little business but my own, who worked on appointments, and featured a nice comfy chair and big screen in their waiting room. Alas, at the end of the day, all I care about at the end of the day is that the service is competent (which so far, to date, has always been-- sadly, not every Spyder owner can be so lucky! ).

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Mine Also...Tomorrow

14,000 mile service by appointment tomorrow. In at nine thirty AM (when they open-first appointment of the day- my choice) estimated to be finished by 3PM. Not doing valve clearance check, coolant replacement, brake fluid replacement, oil change and oil strainer cleaning ( I do my own oil changes), or air filter replacement (air filter replaced at 10K). In addition to other regular 14,000 mile mx, having front tires rotated and plugs and wires replaced with Bajaron's goodies. Estimate given was "about $400"....not too bad!

I've never had to leave my Spyder overnight and always able to get an appointment usually the same week I call. I consider myself lucky that I have an outstanding dealer.