Spyder Garage

Default Marvelous Engineering

I got a new 2013 Spyder ST Ltd. in early March. This is my fourth Spyder in five years (six model years) - 2008 GS SM5, 2009 GS SM5, 2011 RT SM5, 2013 ST SE5. There is one in each of BRP's three product categories.

The ST is my favorite. It is an example of some marvelous engineering combining the best of the GS/RS and the RT. The GS/RS was quicker and more fun than the RT, but the RT was more comfortable, especially on long trips. The ST is quick and comfortable. I ride solo which may be influencing my choice. The ST has superior ride-ability which comes through as a powerful sensation. I love it. So far, it has been flawless.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Glad you enjoy the st. I would love to upgrade from my 09 GS to the st limited. I had a chance the do a demo Ryde a few weeks back a have been trying to find a way eversense.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Wow...four. That's saying something.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I haven't had the experience with other Spyders, but I've got a 2013 ST-S and I agree it's a pretty slick machine.

Spyder Garage

Welcome to the ranks of four owned.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 05-15-2013 at 01:37 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They're just like potato chips; pretty tough to start once you've gotten a start!
    Glad to hear that you can see and feel the improvements in the breed!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for your review. I haven't really put much thought into getting rid of my current Spyder, but if I was going to get another one I think I might go with the ST as well. One thing I would definitely need to do is test ryde it first to see what the seating position is like compared to my 2009 GS with a 1" riser and the BRP Comfort Seat. My current Spyder is set up great for me.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I want a ST as well, but Some Girl says no...she wants me to get the RT.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The ST is a fantastic machine, but riding solo definitely influences its choice for selection. Now that Spanky has her endorsement and I ride passenger frequently, I understand better than ever why the spouses demand the RT so often

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    They're just like potato chips; pretty tough to start once you've gotten a start!
    Glad to hear that you can see and feel the improvements in the breed!
    i hate being picky Bob but didn't you mean "pretty tough to stop once you've gotten started?"

I totally agree with you on that I am so glad my Anne pushed me into taking the demo ride. Now if I could just get her legs to toughen up so let she can go more then five dismounts per day I would be in heaven for sure.

Spyder Garage

Wow 4! my wife would have killed me by now! Anyway coming from an Engineer, I'm sure the folks at BRP love to hear "Marvelous Engineering" in the same text! most of the time its "who the heck was the dumb a#% engineer that did this" great coomets thank you for sharing

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Some Guy View Post
    I want a ST as well, but Some Girl says no...she wants me to get the RT.
    If you want to be happy, then you better make sure Some Girl is happy.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

enjoy your new ryde and be safe out there

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Wowowee 4 and I'm just glad I have one RT.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default My view on a small sample of their quality

I'm in the injection molding industry. We make lots of components for industry. We've got parts in Harley Davidson & Triumph motorcycles & thousands of other products. So I've got an eye for little details in molded plastic parts.

First thing I noticed about the Spyder, quality wise, was the key.

Once upon a time, companies use to make things like keys for computers that needed letters or symbols on them with what we call "2 color molding."

Example - Hewlett Packard calculators back in the '70s and '80s - the keys on the keyboards were actually molded with 2 separate shots of plastic - one black for the key, the other gold or blue for the symbol on the key. It was solid plastic - the letters didn't wear off with use. The tooling was expensive, so were the machines and the parts, relatively. But the keys didn't wear out. I still have one of the old HPs and the keys are as good as the day they were molded. Later on, that was deemed too expensive and the symbols on the keys were silkscreened or pad printed. Cheaper, but that's basically painted on the keys with ink, and with use it wears right off. Virtually all modern buttons and keys now have symbols printed on the plastic.

The ignition key on the 2013 Can Am ST-S that I just bought - is 2 material molding, either 2 shot molding or over-molding. The grey "Can Am" letters are molded underneath the black thermoplastic rubber. They're solid. That's not going to wear off. It might seem like a small thing but that's quality. You don't see that much anymore. It makes me feel better about some of the other design decisions they may have made on other more important parts of the machine.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the additional information about the quality of the molding process. That was a very interesting read.

Spyder Garage

Glad you like your ST Bro. For those of you that don't know Walt he has over 200,000 miles on Spyders

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-200-000-Miles

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

How's that SE5 working for you I noticed the other three were SMs.

Spyder Garage

An extra on 200,000 miles. That's a real great achievement.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Why SE5

Quote Originally Posted by Daisyjoe View Post
    How's that SE5 working for you I noticed the other three were SMs.
    I was never interested in a semi-automatic transmission on a motorcycle before I got the 2013 STL. This idea was inconceivable to my old Harley brain. It may be something genetic, just like it is hard for old Harley riders to keep the rpm's up. Harley-Davidsons run at low rpm's with high torque.

When I got the STL I had no choice, but to accept the semi-automatic transmission. I got the Limited because I wanted the black currant color. The rest came with the color.

Now that I have it, I love it. It is loads of fun to ride. It is definitely a game changer for this old Harley brain.