Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Best Shift Point for RSS

Hey guys,

I am a newbie to my Spyder and still learning what makes her tick. What would you all consider is the best RPM to shift at? I kinda find myself letting it get into the 5000's before I shift just because it feels like she wants to shift.

I have the SE5 model- semi automatic shift.

Any help would be appreciated

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by xGreenxMeaniex View Post
    I kinda find myself letting it get into the 5000's before I shift just because it feels like she wants to shift.
    That is about right... don't hesitate to push her a little more. Rotax's are high reving engines!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thanks! I was thinking I was right, but was reading some different numbers, and sometimes she sounds pretty angry at me so I know when to paddle up

Thankfully this weekend will be nice for riding!

Spyder Garage

Hey guys,

I am a newbie to my Spyder and still learning what makes her tick. What would you all consider is the best RPM to shift at? I kinda find myself letting it get into the 5000's before I shift just because it feels like she wants to shift.

I assume you are talking upshift and then it is fine anywhere between 4500 to 9000. Never cruise below 3500 except in first gear, but better to make it a habit 4000.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The RS/GS engines are tuned for a higher peak, so feel free to let it sing! 5000 rpm range is a nice place to start looking for the next gear!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Like they said. The sweet spot--IMO--is the place where you get a seamless shift between gears. The 4500 - 5500 will have the seamless spot somewhere in between. The fun part is you get to drive and experiment a little.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What all the wise men above said. Comfortable RS riding = 4500 - 5500 rpm. Spirited RS riding = whatever the heck I want

I think I hit redline only once just to see how the limiter feels when it kicks in so I'm no longer surprised. But usually if I'm really wringing out the bike in the twisties, I'm routinely shifting north of 6 or 7K RPM.

You've got a LOT of power high up in that RPM range that all comes free with your Spyder purchase, it's a darn shame to waste it. If you're baby-shifting the Rotax all the time, you're only riding half of your bike.
    Last edited by daveinva; 03-29-2013 at 01:56 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have yet to get this thing out of second gear riding around town....it's too long legged to get into third! If I hit 6th on the highway, I know I'm WELL over the speed limit.

"Sometimes through the winds of change, we find our true direction"

2019 RTL SE6, Spyder upgrades ultraguard cover, foam grip cover, trunk organizer, magic mirror kit, saddlebag liners, ultimate seat with gas door and rain cover, heavy duty gas shock for seat, back rest, glove box protector, BajaRon sway bay, front grill, short spiral antenna, Garmin Zumo 660 GPS with mount, trunk light, large brake pedal, wide vu mirrors, barb wire decal kit, highway pegs, hot grips.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SheWolf View Post
    I have yet to get this thing out of second gear riding around town....it's too long legged to get into third! If I hit 6th on the highway, I know I'm WELL over the speed limit.
    Heeeeey! How did you get one with a 6th gear? Was it special order or something?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

I feed it unicorn milk. Makes it do all kinds of crazy things. I keep referring it to 6 speed... I have to get used to the fact the one gear is reverse...unlike my dirt bike.
    Last edited by SheWolf; 03-29-2013 at 05:27 PM.

"Sometimes through the winds of change, we find our true direction"

2019 RTL SE6, Spyder upgrades ultraguard cover, foam grip cover, trunk organizer, magic mirror kit, saddlebag liners, ultimate seat with gas door and rain cover, heavy duty gas shock for seat, back rest, glove box protector, BajaRon sway bay, front grill, short spiral antenna, Garmin Zumo 660 GPS with mount, trunk light, large brake pedal, wide vu mirrors, barb wire decal kit, highway pegs, hot grips.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

i'm with 5500 -6000 rpm crowd. ride it like you stole it1 many times its over 7000!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Sounds..!!

Started out with the crowd but have found the sweet sound at which point I shift. 6000 /7000 rpm's but around town find myself much lower...?
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

This is an interesting topic. When I bought our RT Limited last Aug, I specifically asked the salesman while test driving. What RPM should I shift at? Knowing I had ridden all variety of 2 wheel bikes, He looked kind of dumbfounded and replied: "Well, what ever feels, sounds right." So for the first 600 miles or so I was shifting at lower RPM as if I was on my HD. Thanks to this site, I learned that higher RPM is best for the Spyder. I know BRP engineers, and people frequent this site, and I would like to suggest they teach the dealers the correct RPM to shift so when they inform the customer, they have the correct info. Also I suggest they revise the manual to instruct the user to shift at higher RPM in a section other than training / safety section where it shows not to exceed I believe it was 2,000 RPM for safety reasons during the getting to know your Spyder.
    I now shift at about 4,500 RPM or even higher if conditions are such that I may need extra power such as a hill coming up, or may need to pass another vehicle.

Spyder Garage

Personally I think you should be hitting the rev-limiter in all five gears

I usually cruise at around 4500-5000, and on the hills I drop it down a gear (and occasionally twist the throttle a bit too much )

Just sayin'............
    Three in the garage, and I think I can fit at least one more in.....and then we will have to build another garage.
    The roads in NY are so bad that I am glad we bought a Ryker Rally

Just sayin'............

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey guys,

Maybe this link will help provide you a starting-point to consider shifting...

Good luck on your new ride and enjoy! http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...-Spyder-owners

Spyder Garage

if you follow some bikers with a normal Speed (65 mph) .. you will find out that the engine needs RPMs to produce the power you neeed - made a test-Video for myselve to find out what gears I use and on what RPMs I change the gears ..(its not good for the clutch if you drive with low RPMs)
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats