GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear Tire Needed Less Expensive?

Have to get a new back tire for my RT. Good gosh! $150 for the tire and then 2 hours labor which will be $160. Something needs to be done about these outrageous prices! Now my question is, can you get a tire that is exactly the same but is not from BRP? And of course the dealer doesn't have one there, has to be ordered! Please let me know if anyone has ordered a perfectly good tire that can be used that isn't BRP's.

Spyder Garage

Every Dealer should have a couple of each tire in stock.
    Do a search of "Rear Tire" and you will be busy for days?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I put a Falken ZE 912 on my RT.
    Got it on EBay: $80 with free delivery!
    You might just want to check with your dealer to make sure that he'll mount it for you.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Smile

Not that this will make it any less painful but, choose a bike, any touring bike, and you'll find FEW of them differ all that much in maintenance costs. Where one may be less costly in one area it makes up for it in another. It's not a cheap addiction. For sure.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You sure got that right!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

arntufun

Things are alot cheaper if you own a few wrenchs.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Insurance may not be covered for using non motorcycle tire

Make sure your motorcycle insurance will cover you if you are not using a "motorcycle" tire

Up here in the Great White North where the insurance is government controlled they look for any excuse to not cover a claim

I just paid $199 plus 1 hr labour for a rear "BRP" tire

Spyder Garage

I've had good luck with the Kumho Ecsta AST tires on my 2008 GS spyder. You can order them from Tire Rack on the link below. I gotten twice as much wear out of them at about half the cost. The last tire change, I had a friend of mine help me remove the tire and rim from the swing arm. I had the tire mounted and balanced at a tire shop. When I reinstalled the tire the real pain was gettting the belt aligned and proper tension. Other than that it wasn't too difficult. It sure saved me some money from labor costs.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by lawawuu View Post
    Have to get a new back tire for my RT. Good gosh! $150 for the tire and then 2 hours labor which will be $160. Something needs to be done about these outrageous prices! Now my question is, can you get a tire that is exactly the same but is not from BRP? And of course the dealer doesn't have one there, has to be ordered! Please let me know if anyone has ordered a perfectly good tire that can be used that isn't BRP's.
    Laura, you can buy a tire off Discount Tire, shipping incl, for anywhere from $65-135. I've used a General Altimax RT, 205-65-15 (about $85) which I changed last week at Winston-Salem Honda for one hour labor ($92). I liked the General a lot (and have them on my car) and at 11,000 miles I estimate it had 3-5K left but wanted to get some new rear bearings installed so went ahead and had a new Pirelli P4 ($107) intalled. Was torn between that one and the Cooper CS4 ($90). Both are long wearing tires, at least on cars. Just want to see which wears the best. A lot of folks use 215-65-15 but I feel that the 205 more closely approximates the OEM tire. Either one obviously works fine. If I can be of help, let me know; I'll PM you my email and phone nr.

As noted above, call your dealer and make sure he will install aftermarket tires. Winston Honda has no problems but thats a bit far for you to come.
    Last edited by ulflyer; 03-16-2013 at 02:54 AM.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Rear tire..!!

Sounds like a lot is involved. Insurance dealer accepting non stock tires, warranty coverage, sounds like if you want to keep it all your and have to go with the stock. I have seen the stock tire on ebay and there are others who sell them so a search for a better price on the tire can be done then check other dealer for best labor cost.. Not much help I'm sure but we all know what you are going through...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I replaced mine with stock, can't remember the cost, the tire shop changed it over for free ( very nice ) would not even let me get the coffee and donuts/nothing ( old tire had ride on ) no problem, installed myself. If you do it yourself , you don't have to dismanlte the whole rim assembly like the maual claims, if done correctly, do not even have to adjust the belt tension. So 150 tire , hour or 2 labour and getting to know your ride PRICELESS.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Way to go

Quote Originally Posted by vtrider View Post
    I've had good luck with the Kumho Ecsta AST tires on my 2008 GS spyder. You can order them from Tire Rack on the link below. I gotten twice as much wear out of them at about half the cost. The last tire change, I had a friend of mine help me remove the tire and rim from the swing arm. I had the tire mounted and balanced at a tire shop. When I reinstalled the tire the real pain was gettting the belt aligned and proper tension. Other than that it wasn't too difficult. It sure saved me some money from labor costs.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....omCompare1=yes
    I replaced with Kumho, cost me $84.00 for the tire. My Can Am dealer changed the tire.