Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Cool windshield !

Actually, I have a question for California Spyder lovers . Is it legal to tint the windshield ? Would I get a ticket? Visibility is not a problem as I can see clearly over the windshield at night.
    It would look super cooooooolllll!!!!!!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: Cool windshield !

California Vehicle code:670. A "vehicle" is a device by which any person or property may be propelled , moved, or drawn upon a highway, excepting a device moved exclusively by human power or used exclusively upon stationary railsor tracks.26708. (a) (1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with anyobject or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or appliedupon the windshield or side or rear windows.(2) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object ormaterial placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or uponthe vehicle which obstructs or reduces the driver's clear viewthrough the windshield or side windows.26708.5. (a) No person shall place, install, affix, or apply anytransparent material upon the windshield, or side or rear windows, ofany motor vehicle if the material alters the color or reduces thelight transmittance of the windshield or side or rear windows, exceptas provided in subdivision (b), (c), or (d) of Section 26708.(b) Tinted safety glass may be installed in a vehicle if (1) theglass complies with motor vehicle safety standards of the UnitedStates Department of Transportation for safety glazing materials, and(2) the glass is installed in a location permitted by thosestandards for the particular type of glass used.

Read through the codes above..... it looks to me like if the tinted windshield is DOT approved for use on the road then it would be legal per CVC 26708.5 (b) (2). The windshield on my spyder is smoked/tinted and is a factory windshield. You have to be careful with aftermarket accessories because often they will have a waiver saying "for off road use only" or something similiar because they haven't complied with the vehicle code.
    Last edited by Tierhog; 03-12-2013 at 02:08 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I think you'll find there's no easy way to tint lexan or plexi after manufacturing. They outgas which causes the stick on tints to bubble.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flybuddy View Post
    I think you'll find there's no easy way to tint lexan or plexi after manufacturing. They outgas which causes the stick on tints to bubble.
    Like he said. I carried one to a guy who claimed he could paint it. Ended up canning the windshield.
    David

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It'll be nice to have a transition windshield like eye glasses.

It's so amazing that SL have all the knowledge about windshield laws.

Spyder Garage

Default cool winshield

20130216_160455.jpg
    How about that spyder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

So it ok tint, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Tierhog View Post
    California Vehicle code:670. A "vehicle" is a device by which any person or property may be propelled , moved, or drawn upon a highway, excepting a device moved exclusively by human power or used exclusively upon stationary railsor tracks.26708. (a) (1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with anyobject or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or appliedupon the windshield or side or rear windows.(2) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object ormaterial placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or uponthe vehicle which obstructs or reduces the driver's clear viewthrough the windshield or side windows.26708.5. (a) No person shall place, install, affix, or apply anytransparent material upon the windshield, or side or rear windows, ofany motor vehicle if the material alters the color or reduces thelight transmittance of the windshield or side or rear windows, exceptas provided in subdivision (b), (c), or (d) of Section 26708.(b) Tinted safety glass may be installed in a vehicle if (1) theglass complies with motor vehicle safety standards of the UnitedStates Department of Transportation for safety glazing materials, and(2) the glass is installed in a location permitted by thosestandards for the particular type of glass used.

Read through the codes above..... it looks to me like if the tinted windshield is DOT approved for use on the road then it would be legal per CVC 26708.5 (b) (2). The windshield on my spyder is smoked/tinted and is a factory windshield. You have to be careful with aftermarket accessories because often they will have a waiver saying "for off road use only" or something similiar because they haven't complied with the vehicle code.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Very nice!!

Quote Originally Posted by

DaDrkmysta;586781
    20130216_160455.jpg

How about that spyder

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Let's see..!!

A lot of information so far but as I see it if it is not the obstructing your view you can do whatever you wish. The only one that may be a problem would be the ones you actually have to look through.
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: Cool windshield !

Letter of the law or spirit? Letter of the law says its a citation. Your argument in court might be that's ornamental but I wouldn't put much stock in that. Could you probably get away with it? Probably. Could we see a forum entry in a couple of years about some rookie citing you after all this time? Maybe. California is a pain in the rear.. But we have so many laws and so few police, they dont scrutinize like some small, bored municipalities out there. Save your old screen just in case. Easy fix it ticket

MOgang Member & Pyro-Man
    Spyder Garage

Personally, I think it's going to end up being a waste of your time and money. The windscreen takes a lot of abuse on both sides. Between expansion, contraction,rain, humidty and heat, it would seem that the tint would bubble and loosen in a relatively short time. If you go through with this and it does work, pass the info on as to what brand of tint you used and send some pics.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    Like he said. I carried one to a guy who claimed he could paint it. Ended up canning the windshield.
    David
    I did paint mine. I used the paint used on tail ligths. Only painting the inide of the windshild. This was two years ago with no problems to the date.