Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RT Limited steering problem

I just received a phone call from BRP about the steering on my 2013 RT Limited. Informing me that BRP engineering is working on a solution at their test track in Arizona. They will call every couple of days to keep me informed. This is very reassuring.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by can-am sam View Post
    I just received a phone call from BRP about the steering on my 2013 RT Limited. Informing me that BRP engineering is working on a solution at their test track in Arizona. They will call every couple of days to keep me informed. This is very reassuring.
    That explains a few things for me.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Will keep watching this with interest.

I do believe that time is of the essence. I sincerely hope that no one is involved in an accident that would be caused by the erratic steering/control issues on the new 's.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-18-2013 at 03:29 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: 2013 RT Limited steering problem

Me too as my 13 is in and just waiting for some of the options to arrive.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Spyder Garage

Default Will be monioring

Would be nice for BRP to put out a public bulletin. My RT is due in in early March. Would like to be able to have a conversation with my dealer.
    2013 RT Limited Pearl White
    XM Radio, Sena SM10 Bluetooth adapter, Sena SMH10 Bluetooth headset, BajaRon's sway bar, Spyderpop's beltguard and bumpskid, Baker Built cup holder, Ultimate mid-rider seat, Tricled RT mirror turn signals.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just got my RT Ltd a couple of weeks ago. Rode it about 4 miles to my garage, just ahead of the wind and snow. Never got over 35 mph in town, so I have no idea if I have a problem or not. You guys are starting to scare me!

Spyder Garage

I dropped mine off at the dealer Thursday. I haven't heard a word on anything found or if BRP has released any information on the fix. I hope they figure it out quick.

Spyder Garage

I picked mine up a week ago last Saturday. Went on a 60 mile short ride and knew there was something wrong. I called the dealer and hey told me to adjust the shocks and tire pressure and take it for another ride. I spent an hour looking over the entire front end looking for a shock adjustment cam, guess what, the 2013's don't have adjustable shocks! So I took it back to the dealer and informed them of the tech bulletin and all the information i gather here and crossed my fingers.

Lets see what happens next.

Spyder Garage

It is strange that some, if not most, 2013's are fine. Others are 'Scary'. And it appears that at least a few have been fixed with a proper alignment and tire pressures.

It baffles me a bit that this is such a big mystery to BRP. If it were components you wouldn't think adjustment would fix anything. It has me wondering if it's more than 1 thing causing these issues.

It's pretty bad when the dealer doesn't know enough about the 2013's that a customer is being told to adjust shocks that everyone should know are not adjustable.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RT Limited steering problem

Picked up my new 2013 RT Limited about 2 weeks ago and rode it home (about 120 miles) Felt very insecure on it as it handled very "squirrelly" at speeds above 50 mph. Arrived home exhausted from fighting for control. I don't feel it is dangerous but I certainly don't feel comfortable since I am always on guard for sudden sideways movements. Dealer advised me to "get more saddle time" before making a final determination. I can see by these posts that I am not alone with this problem. Will be watching here with anticipation of a solution.

Spyder Garage

After having my alignment adjusted , my ST runs great. Today rode with a wind from the south 10-20 mph and was able to control bike better than before with no wind whatsoever. Hope everyone can get the same results. First two weeks had me no wanting to ride a Spyder ever again. Dealers need to follow Spyderlovers also to aid in problem and solutions in my opinion. My dealer did not have a clue until I emailed him info from Spyderlovers threads.

Registered Users
    Tucson, Arizona (winter), Burwell, Nebraska (summer)
    Spyder Garage

Default stability on my 2013 RT has not gotten better with more "saddle time."

Quote Originally Posted by krazykat View Post
    Picked up my new 2013 RT Limited about 2 weeks ago and rode it home (about 120 miles) Felt very insecure on it as it handled very "squirrelly" at speeds above 50 mph. Arrived home exhausted from fighting for control. I don't feel it is dangerous but I certainly don't feel comfortable since I am always on guard for sudden sideways movements. Dealer advised me to "get more saddle time" before making a final determination. I can see by these posts that I am not alone with this problem. Will be watching here with anticipation of a solution.
    I've accumulated more than 1,000 miles, about 40% of it at highway speeds (by necessity - I picked it up out of state and drove it home). I can guarantee you that it does not go away with miles, nor with more seat time. Nor does air pressure, gentle input, gritting your teeth, colorful exclaimations following suprise and terror, work.

I believe the problem is two fold; allignment (toe in) and electronic power steering, speed sensitive, calibration. One acting against the other. In a preliminary Knowledge Base released from BRP, it emphasis'd the importance of re-setting (with BUDS) the PS - after - allignment adjustments are completed. This tells me that BRP is on the right track. I wouldn't be suprised to learn that production PS units were different than pre-production units. That + faulty allignment may have conspired to create this debacle. Speculation on my part, we'll see.

Toe in adjustment is a very slight but precise adjustment on every front end I'm aware of. Usually it's less that a 1% adjustment from dead nuts parallel. However, my young service advisor told me that "eyeballing the front end, it dosen't look like it's out of adjustment." I only wish I had vision that equals his and Clark Kent's.

In the mean time, ride safe. Pay no attention to the semi's honking their horns in consternation as they blast past our weaving, inebriated riding style. My apologies for tone of this reply. Color me frustrated and feeling like a fool for spending so much money on a touring machine that won't tour.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm liking my 2010 more every day…..

Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Parking my new RT until this issue gets cleared up

Thanks Sam for starting this thread.! Yesterday took my new RT on it's first ride. With my girl with me we took a twenty five mile jaunt through town, and at slower speeds I felt in control, but because I am monitoring this issue on SL, when I did take a chance and got above 50mph the bike started pitching & rolling within the lane. Backed off throttle, and got home safely, but because this is my first Spyder, I am calling my dealer tomorrow, and we'll see what happens. Thanks everyone for keeping us first timers in the loop...
    Curt Petersen

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CurrantRyder View Post
    I've accumulated more than 1,000 miles, about 40% of it at highway speeds (by necessity - I picked it up out of state and drove it home). I can guarantee you that it does not go away with miles, nor with more seat time. Nor does air pressure, gentle input, gritting your teeth, colorful exclaimations following suprise and terror, work.

I believe the problem is two fold; allignment (toe in) and electronic power steering, speed sensitive, calibration. One acting against the other. In a preliminary Knowledge Base released from BRP, it emphasis'd the importance of re-setting (with BUDS) the PS - after - allignment adjustments are completed. This tells me that BRP is on the right track. I wouldn't be suprised to learn that production PS units were different than pre-production units. That + faulty allignment may have conspired to create this debacle. Speculation on my part, we'll see.

Toe in adjustment is a very slight but precise adjustment on every front end I'm aware of. Usually it's less that a 1% adjustment from dead nuts parallel. However, my young service advisor told me that "eyeballing the front end, it dosen't look like it's out of adjustment." I only wish I had vision that equals his and Clark Kent's.

In the mean time, ride safe. Pay no attention to the semi's honking their horns in consternation as they blast past our weaving, inebriated riding style. My apologies for tone of this reply. Color me frustrated and feeling like a fool for spending so much money on a touring machine that won't tour.
    Your post points out two things that are highly worth emphasizing. First, a great many dealers do not understand alignment or have the equipment to check it properly. These dealers are doing their customers a great disservice, by eyeballing things and proclaiming everything to look good. To make this issue more complex, the 2013 materials, specs, and procedures are different from the earlier models, a fact of which many dealers apparently are still not aware. If you get the quick once over from your dealer, or a pat answer like this, have them check the BRP Knowledge Base or call dealer tech support...and have them verify and demonstrate that the proper procedure was used to check your alignment. If they refuse, find another dealer ASAP. Proper alignment may not cure every Spyder, but it has cured many, so don't take "No" for an answer.

To clarify another matter, the calibration that is called for is to reset the steering angle and steering torque sensor zero settings after any alignment (or steering or suspension parts replacement/adjustment). This has nothing to do with the power steering rate or cutout, it merely centers the sensors and calibrates them to each other, so the VSS doesn't fight you in some turns, and so you don't get any limp mode issues from them not matching. The power steering response or deadband may be able to be changed, but it would take an update to the programming, which is not what is being asked at this point.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sam,
    Who'd you talk to?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by can-am sam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Sam,
    Who'd you talk to?
    Inquiring minds need to know.

Chris

Spyder Garage

After my dealer checked the aligment it did not fix the steering problem. They contacted BRP and told them to not to release my Spyder till a solution is found. I then called BRP customer support. Yesterday Damien from BRP called me to keep me in the loop. To those who have the steering problem I urge you to go back to your dealer and report the problem. It is not safe to drive on the highway with this condition.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

You should all (with the problem} report it to the ; N.H.T.S.A, That will speed up the fix.
    AL-LA, The DPS problem., A Few years ago.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Double post canceling.xxxx
    Last edited by boborgera; 02-19-2013 at 11:56 AM.

Spyder Garage

‎12 European journalists tested the new Spyders ST/RTs in Spain last week - seems they are running fine now !!
    new-2013-modells.jpg

Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chris56 View Post
    ‎12 European journalists tested the new Spyders ST/RTs in Spain last week - seems they are running fine now !!
    new-2013-modells.jpg

Did they buy the Spyders themself in other words off the showroom floor or Did they get Factory prepped Spyder's.

Spyder Garage

My guess would be specially factory prepped ,s for anyone doing a test ride and then being asked to tell all about it.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RT Steering

My Dealer called me last week & said to bring my in to be checked. He also said stay off the interstate. I had already told him when I first got it I felt like I was driving drunk & hadn't had a drop. It didn't drive like my 2010 Rt. Limited #11.
    2013 RT Yellow
    2013 RST Yellow
    2011 RSS Metallic Orange / Flat Black
    2010 Limited Edition # 11 Black
    2008 RS SilverMoon
    2014 Black Current Rt Limited

[SIGPIC]SIGPIC] Happy Owners

Spyder Garage

As i stated in an earlier post, i dropped my RT off at the dealer last thursday. I called for an update, friday, saturday and again monday. I was told that they hadnt had a chance to look at the bike yet but would get on it tuesday morning, today. I went by the dealership at lunch and noticed by RT sitting on blocks, front tires off and a 4 foot level strapped to the bottom. Not sure what they were doing and no one there could explain it to me. About 4pm this afternoon the service manager called me and said the bike ready for pick up. I ask the stupid question, "what did you find". the response was, out of alignment your ready to go. I not the smartest guy in the world but i'm pretty sure that these bike werent aligned using a 4 foot carpenters level! I wonder if a good 50+ MPH test drive was done after the so called alignment was completed...i bit it wasnt. I drop it off with 97 miles on it, for a proper test there should be at least 30 or 40 more miles. We'll see tomorrow.