Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The manual will also tell you that higher preload settings are appropriate with heavy loads.
    Sure. It doesn't say, though that it's as big an issue as it apparently is. It makes sense after-the-fact, but the Spyder is by far the most sensitive vehicle I've ridden in that regard. It's not a criticism of the bike, but a little more emphasis in the manual would be a good thing. It may sound like hyperbole, but the difference is a big deal and potentially a safety issue - in my opinion, of course.

--jim

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Default 3 Nov "Do's & Do Not's" Update?

I just recently copied the "Do's and Do Not's (update from Oct). What changes have you added in the Nov revision?

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mdale46 View Post
    I just recently copied the "Do's and Do Not's (update from Oct). What changes have you added in the Nov revision?
    Besides making some adjustment to the wording in a few areas; and "fine-tuning" the shift-sugggestions; these are the three items added in late October and early November.

• Latest addition was added to "Get a Battery Tender" regarding the warning no to connect accessories or a battery-tender to the terminal connectors (found under the seat), but rather connect directly to the battery posts.
    • Locking the glove-box...
    • Cruise control...
    • Confirmation of where the manual states you do not have to roll-off the throttle when shifting the SE5.

That is about all I think I added. Hope it helps you!

Ride safe, often, and alert!

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Thanks for the update. I have copied and will put these "instructions" to practice. Thanks again!

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

I had read this thread before purchasing my RT-S SE5 as well as reading an online owner's manual. The information here is very helpful. I rode home from the dealer using the shifting guidelines and maintaining 5000-5500 RPMs. Thanks so much to the experienced owners for helping out those of us with less experience.

I can't imagine why this isn't a sticky.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Spyder Smyles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Thanks

Great information for a newbie like me. Thanks for taking the time to post it.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

bump for newbies

Spyder Garage

Bumped again....
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

This is very good information. I passed it on to my chapter members of SRA.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Read the manual

Illinois Boy
    I have read the manual. Attended the dealers you need to do the class. Picked the brain of the dealers service department. Paid attention to the forum.

But you kind sir.. Explained it in a format that I understand. For that, I say "Thank You,"
    Last edited by Peter Aawen; 06-21-2024 at 07:08 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa Spyder View Post
    Nanny is what kicks in when you go around a curve or corner to fast and the wheel starts to come up. Then Nanny kicks in and slows you down to bring that wheel back down. I have had it happen to me a couple of times. It will throw you a little forward if you are not expecting it.
    Remember....nanny is watching you......

Spyder Garage

Bump.
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

This is a great thread thanks for the tips I pickup my 2012 RT-S SE5 Sat. and I haven't owned a 2 wheeler for almost 30 years so hopefully no bad habits there. I've already read the online owners manual once and will read the hard copy again once I get my hands on it ( shoulda thought to get it when I closed the deal) thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Spyder Garage

When you get time, go to the Home Page and on the right hand side is a "SPYDERS TO THE RESCUE" link, read it and if you can, join it. Print it out just before a trip out of your comfort zone.

Cruzr Joe
    Last edited by Cruzr Joe; 03-18-2013 at 01:56 PM.
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

This is great,,, Thanx,, I am new and really didnt know most of this. I felt I had to shift to 5th gear all the time... I usually would shift to 5th when doing 40mph n higher.. Thanx again.. learn something new everyday... Def printing this out and keeping it on my spyder...

Spyder Garage

Default Bump!

For the New ones in the Family!
    Kagey

Do not mess in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Spyder RTS SE5 - Quantum Blue Metallic - LED RT HMT Brake Light W/Dual Converter Unit - Lamonster NBV Highway Pegs
    SpyderPops "Missing Belt Guard" - "Butt Buffer" Butt Pad - Utopia Backrest - Original Grip Buddies - Digital Volt Gauge
    Analog Clock - Shark LED Light Kit - BajaRon's SwayBar - Mud Flap - Custom Dynamics Radiator Inlet Covers
    Seal FloorBoards
    - Baker Air Wings - SpyderPops BumpSkid

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Default Bump 2

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey_98 View Post
    For the New ones in the Family!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Smile ***Brakes***

Ok, so I took my bike in for service and was told that I am riding the brake and need to stop. Well I knew better, I wasn't riding the brake. I knew better because I rode with my right foot hooked under the brake pedal. What I found myself doing was pulling up on the brake A LOT!. Well you would think that would be OK but IT IS NOT!!! ANY TOUCHING OF THE BRAKE is engaging the brake. I went through a new pair of pads in a very short time before I figured out I was the problem. Now I just use the foot pegs like I should and only touch the brake to use it. Everything is great now.

Spyder Garage

Default Bumpity Bump Bump Bump

This needs to be on top and stay Sticky!!!! SO BUMP!

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

As a new Spyder owner and rider thank you very much for AWESOME information. You can find numerous complaints on-line from Spyder riders who probably are doing a lot of things wrong! I second the motion for a new Spyderlovers sub-heading specifically for new riders.

I notice that much of what's written is slanted towards RT models, but it seems that most will translate to the RS.

Thanks again to everyone for a great site.

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwall View Post
    As a new Spyder owner and rider thank you very much for AWESOME information. You can find numerous complaints on-line from Spyder riders who probably are doing a lot of things wrong! I second the motion for a new Spyderlovers sub-heading specifically for new riders.

I notice that much of what's written is slanted towards RT models, but it seems that most will translate to the RS.

There is a slant to RT's... and for that I apologize. There are still items that fit all the models though, and hopefully one or more of them will provide a benefit and more enjoyment on one's Spyder.

Ride safe, often and alert!

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) Zenagirl's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Awsome Info and New Spyder Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Rockwall View Post

I agree, this is a super thread and the Do's and Don't and other info need to be easily accessible to new owners. I've read this several times and pick up something new each time, but I had a heck of a time finding it again to read the April 6th revision. (And I used the search function too!) Please put this where is it EASILY found by newbies.

Inactive User
    Spyder Garage

Now that I have a couple of hundred miles under my belt, I reread this list. Makes more sense. One question. With this being a hi rev-ing engine, do you experienced folks let the machine warm up before you take off? Usually I don't get into higher revs until everything is nice and toasty, but with this little fella, we are talking 3500 RPM just to keep the clutch fully engaged. I know. Ride it like you stole it!! But if I stole it I wouldn't have to pay for repairs!

Spyder Garage

It would just be so useful to take the advice from this thread, perhaps add another few posts from elsewhere, and put it where anybody new can easily access it on the site - I know it would have helped me. It tells you what you need to know, but don't even know to ask!

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by JkRbbt View Post
    Now that I have a couple of hundred miles under my belt, I reread this list. Makes more sense. One question. With this being a hi rev-ing engine, do you experienced folks let the machine warm up before you take off? Usually I don't get into higher revs until everything is nice and toasty, but with this little fella, we are talking 3500 RPM just to keep the clutch fully engaged. I know. Ride it like you stole it!! But if I stole it I wouldn't have to pay for repairs!
    Always fire mine off and let it warm while I'm gearing up. If it's off the dead cold mark by a quarter or better then I'll slow roll it until it's running as warm as the ambient temp will allow.