Spyder Garage

Default 15,000 mile service

When I purchased my 2012 RT Ltd. the dealer told me that there would a service required at 15,000 miles where they wold basically tear down the entire front suspension and replace "temporary" shims with "permanent" shims since the front suspension will be broken in. He warned me that this service would cost about $1,800.00. Does this sound right or are they trying to take my wallet on a magic carpet ride?? If this is for real, what all do they do for that much coin? I only have 2000 miles on it, so this is all new to me. Thanks for any help.

Signed,
    Confused in Ohio

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

Default Service

Check your owners manual under maintenance. This should tell you what they do at the 15,000 mile service. $1800 sounds like a ripoff!
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

Look to another service provider

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Here is a list of what is called for during the 14K service per the book. You may still need oil change, etc.

Replace, Adjust, or Inspect

R: Replace Every 14,000 mi
    Engine Oil and filter
    Transmission oil filter
    Valve clearance A
    Air filter C
    Engine coolant R
    Radiator, hoses and water pump (condition, leak and cleanliness) I
    Radiator cap/cooling system pressure test I
    Exhaust “Y” pipe front gaskets R
    Wheel speed sensor
    Passenger switch
    Throttle body I, C
    Fuel hoses I
    Spark plugs R
    Rear Sprocket bearing I
    Rear axle bearing I
    Bearing seals, O-rings and wear sleeves of rear axle R
    Wheel bearings I
    Front wheel alignment I
    Ball joints I
    Brake fluid R

Spyder Garage

That is quite a list. Not sure what "shims" the salesman was talking about. Does anyone know what a fair price would be for the 14k service (understanding that there may be some variables on what all is needed)? $1800 just sounds steep.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Let the dealer take the magic carpet ride...find another as fast as you can!

Spyder Garage

I know you don't want to hear how I care for my Spyders, but I will let you know anyway. On the 2008 SE5, I rode it for 43,000 miles and NEVER checked the valves. The tech said they were all within tolerance when inspected before resale. My 2010 SM5 has 35,000 miles and NEVER had the valves checked (the valves use shims to achieve proper clearance). Now, I am not a mechanical genius, but I have NEVER heard of "temporary shims" in the front end. I would pay him a visit and tell him to show you where in the owner's manual, or anywhere in BRP service writings where such a service is called for. If he can't show you, tell him Good Bye and take your shadow with you when you leave.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I recently ask about the 15,000 at the ProCaliber in Longview and I was told $699. I was also told by Len, they could do it for less while at Spyderfest. $1800 - I would run like the wind!!

Of course, thats me.
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    I know you don't want to hear how I care for my Spyders, but I will let you know anyway. On the 2008 SE5, I rode it for 43,000 miles and NEVER checked the valves. The tech said they were all within tolerance when inspected before resale. My 2010 SM5 has 35,000 miles and NEVER had the valves checked (the valves use shims to achieve proper clearance). Now, I am not a mechanical genius, but I have NEVER heard of "temporary shims" in the front end. I would pay him a visit and tell him to show you where in the owner's manual, or anywhere in BRP service writings where such a service is called for. If he can't show you, tell him Good Bye and take your shadow with you when you leave.
    I agree! I just had the valve clearances inspected on my 2009 GS at 116,600 miles. Only the shims on the two exhaust valves on the rear cylinder needed to be replaced. The other six valves were still in spec. At about 85,000 miles one of the rear exhaust valves needed a shim. Prior to this, the valve clearances were inspected at about 55,000 miles. Valve clearances have been inspected only three times. I admit they were a little overdue at the third time. There was some slight delay in hot starting (2-3 seconds). Cold starting was completely normal. I have a 2011 RT with 54,000 miles. The valve clearances have not been inspected. It runs great.

Don't waste your money.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default What temp shim..?

If there were temporary shims in the front end...you thing it would take 15000 miles to wear in. ? Check again with them, take the information you are getting and if they maintain their position ryde on out...
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

it seen to me that the service department & dealer don't know about spyderlovers web-site.
    we should have a T-shirt (Lamont Hint hint) saying we are members of spyderlovers think about what you saying because we will check an post what you say.
    Xm Radio, BRP CB, Top block off plate, Lazard LED, Utopia backrest

Spyder Garage

If you can turn a wrench most of the maint. you can do yourself except hooking up to Buds. But there is also "the warranty" you have to consider if something happens. Your dealer is blowing a lot of smoke! Like others have said, find another dealer.

My opinion is some of the dealers are trying to take advantage because of the 's technology and BRP should address this. $1800.

Spyder Garage

The big cost item on that list is the valve adjustment--not front end shims. If you choose to have the valves adjusted at the recommended mileage--that cost will add $600-$800 to your bill.

I did that service on my 2008. No adjustments were needed other than the tear down--which cost me dearly. I have by-passed that adjustment on the 2009 and the 2010. I did have the valves checked on the 2010 at the end of season (2012) with 29,000 miles on the clock. The valves were still in the right range and needed no adjustment.

It is a calculated risk and not per the service manual, but a lot of owners have also done it this way. Because of most of the ,s not needing adjustment at the 14,000 point, there has also been some talk of unscrupulious dealers charging for the valve adjustment and not performing the service. A nice mark up for doing nothing.

The recommendation to find another dealer to service your is a good one IMO.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    Yeah and at 20K they replace all 991 cc of displacement with new displacement.

woohoo ... if I pay extra, can I get more??

thehawk
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice ... in practice, however, that's just a theory.

Spyder Garage

Got mine back from the 14k they'd overfilled the oil left the left panel grommets in wrong so the cover didn't go back on right made no mention if they used the 10/40 amsoil I'd,requested but also,never mentioned the rear pads were worn almost paper thin even though they were replaced less than 5 k,miles ago, front pads were 60% or better. Anyone having early rear brake,pad wear like less than 5 k and they're almost completely worn!

Sent from my home in Central Texas!
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Spyder Garage

and the guy who suggested a Dealer Rating Forum got thoroughly shot down in another post. Sometimes I wonder.
    2009 Spyder RS (non operational)
    2022 Spyder RT Limited
    2022 RT Limited , Carbon black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Biosafena View Post
    That is quite a list. Not sure what "shims" the salesman was talking about. Does anyone know what a fair price would be for the 14k service (understanding that there may be some variables on what all is needed)? $1800 just sounds steep.

At my 14k service I elected to not have the valves checked.I had all 3 tires replaced, exhaust gaskets,rear wheel seals,alignment,oil change and everything else inspected and or replaced per service manual.My bill was around 800 dollars going by memory.I don't know what shims in the front your dealer is talking about and would hope it was just a mis-understanding and he meant the valve check.If not I agree with the rest,find another dealer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had mine in for service a while back and was told the pads were shot. They ordered in new ones only to find out the new ones were about the same thickness. Apparently the rear pads are some composite and are very thin and hard to start. Soooo he reinstalled the old pads and sent me on the way.
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Spyder Garage

Thanks for info on rear pads! I ordered some EBC pads from dealer about 6 mos ago, replaced,them myself, and made sure caliper wasnt sticking and parking brake wasnt too tight, they were almost metal around 9k miles. Anyone else having similar issues? These were sintered pads thought they lasted a little longer. Ordered the fronts from BajaRon, but after I took them they looked to be only half worn. Most of my driving is in town so it's understandable they'd wear out sooner but this seems awfully soon to need rears already.

Sent from my home in Central Texas!
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If they are going to swap out the "temporary shims", make sure they also check the muffler bearings and change the blinker fluid.

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by motoford View Post
    If they are going to swap out the "temporary shims", make sure they also check the muffler bearings and change the blinker fluid.