Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default MSF Trike Course..

...within a 100 miles of San Antonio? Anybody know of one.. wife has been riding the Spyder but we figure we ought to get legal and get her "M" endorsement. The last place we knew of here got their DPS cert pulled since the course didn't comply with MSF regs.. Don't want to go to Houston or Dallas... she will take the Basic Beginners course if necessary on a two wheeler, but would prefer a trike class... Thanks in advance..

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

I took my class in San Antonio at Southwest MC Training. That was in Oct. He was very good.

Spyder Garage

Default MSF course

i used the same people in San Antonio quick training and great people

www.swmotorcycletraining.com

830 709 4109 evenings

they have a TWTT course for three wheelers only

you ride your can-am in there use it for the course

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I talked to Southwest Motorcycle Training yesterday and their trike course no longer qualifies or satisfies the DPS requirement for a MSF course.. so taking it would be a good thing, she would still have to take a MSF course to make DPS happy... I am trying Caliente Harley as DPS list them as an approved MSF course for trikes but so far no response...

Thanks..

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Both my brother and I took the trike course in Lufkin and both got out big M's. Course was taught by Marcus (who owns cycle shop there) and was alot of fun and well worth the drive. I live in Beaumont and my brother lives in Dallas, we both took the class on my 2012 RT. Marcus offers the trike class once a month, small classes and did I mention fun?

For more info on this look for the thread on Texas driver's license under this Texas forum, a few months back for contact info on Marcus as well as some comments by others. Have fun & good luck!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by muonwhiz View Post
    Both my brother and I took the trike course in Lufkin and both got out big M's. Course was taught by Marcus (who owns cycle shop there) and was alot of fun and well worth the drive. I live in Beaumont and my brother lives in Dallas, we both took the class on my 2012 RT. Marcus offers the trike class once a month, small classes and did I mention fun?

For more info on this look for the thread on Texas driver's license under this Texas forum, a few months back for contact info on Marcus as well as some comments by others. Have fun & good luck!
    Thanks. Lufkin is an option as we could take the toyhauler up and just make a short vaca out of it... we have talked with the place that used to do the course down here and he has a short enough 125cc 2 wheeler that my wife can put her feet down solidly so we may just to the 2 wheel course. Of course, she will learn things that she won't use on the Spyder (like hand clutch and foot shift) but that is not a bad thing...

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Try this link.. http://www.texasmtc.com/ .. They are located all over Texas, and even say they have private lessons..

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 3WBRC

Are you connected with the military (retiree, civil service, etc) and can get on Lackland AFB? We have the MSF 3WBRC there.

Bill

Spyder Garage

Default Forget the Trike course at this point

The DPS will not recognize this course for licensing unless you have a MD’s letter or note that specifies your medical condition/inability to drive a two wheel MC. They have really gotten strict on this requirement. My wife took her course in SATX at the Southwest MC Training site and they denied her waiver on the grounds we did not have MD’s letter. We are working on that as we write. Some big wig has got his shorts in a knot. Save yourself some money. The course was great but the result was lacking.

Good Luck!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RTspyderssatx View Post
    The DPS will not recognize this course for licensing unless you have a MD’s letter or note that specifies your medical condition/inability to drive a two wheel MC. They have really gotten strict on this requirement. My wife took her course in SATX at the Southwest MC Training site and they denied her waiver on the grounds we did not have MD’s letter. We are working on that as we write. Some big wig has got his shorts in a knot. Save yourself some money. The course was great but the result was lacking.

Good Luck!
    This is true, but easily solved. When I took the class with Marcus he gave me a certificate of completion. He also had the address for writing to the DPS motorcycle unit in Austin. I wrote a very short letter to them explaining that I had sustained a back injury (without going into any details about type, time etc- this occured decades ago) and found it easier to ride the 3 wheeled machine. Believe me, the letter was probably less extensive than this explanation. I sent along a copy of the certificate from Marcus. About 10 days later I got in the mail a certificate from DPS, which I took to the local DL office, and then took a very easy computerized multiple choice test (no riding test) and got the M endorsement. Really this is very simple. Don't let this deter you. I didn't get a doctor letter or know of anyone else that did, and we all got certified. The DPS letter requirement is pretty lax.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 3WBRC

Good Luck!
    Good point. Several Texas schools offer 3 wheel classes that do not grant a license. Southwest MC training's 3 wheel course is considered 'skills building' but not for licensing. There are 2 other places in San Antonio that provide the MSF 3 wheel Basic Rider Course which the TX DPS recognizes for licensing. They are Caliente H-D and Lackland Air Force Base.

A year ago the Texas DPS decided to standardize/simplify the 3 wheel licensing process and now only the MSF 3WBRC will get you a license. Also, I coach the 3 Wheel BRC at Caliente and Lackland. - Bill

Spyder Garage

Default Southwest three wheeler course/DPS

The Texas DPS has just recently changed rules (within the last month or so) and we were told, by the "gate keeper”, that MD letter only, period. We also talked to people who received their M status with SWMC earlier. Now, SWMC stopped offering the course because of this change in state policy. I hope you can get it with other schools but beware, you could be out $185 and without an M on DL. Our family doctor is going to help us out with the letter and we will get in the back door hopefully. I love dealing with bureacracy. As if the long lines and inanely ridiculous test weren’t enough!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

We have decided rather than fighting with the DPS, the wife is going to do the 2 wheel basic course.. she has not reached the point where she can't handle a small(ish) 2 wheeler yet.. we can get a MD letter as she is disabled for back, leg, etc, but a short 2 wheel class is something she can handle. Hell, we just sat thru the 10 hr CHL class on metal folding chairs and she was still able to walk afterwards .
    Last edited by GypsyBill; 01-28-2013 at 12:33 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default MSF Trike Course..

I just got through the 2WBRC and passed which I'm happy about. But I will admit never being on a motorcycle before it was one of the hardest things I did. I'm 46 and I know it may sound funny to you guys who came out of the womb on a motorcycle but it was a bit rough. I hear the others at the class I been riding since I was 8 or 12 I'm like geez no pressure. I went from not being able to go without killing the engine to doing all the tasks riding the course and passing it on the second day, it was not pretty at times but I did it.

I actually considering after the Spyder is purchased later on to look into a 2 Wheel bike as well. I still need plenty of practice but don't want to loose/forget those skills either.

I also plan to take the 3WBRC when I get the Spyder to get better on the Spyder skills its a good feeling that I'm not doing it cause I need to for Lic but want to just to improve my skills.

If you can afford it I recommend the Private Lessons/class if your a newbie to riding takes the pressure off with no other more advanced classmates and the instructor can focus on you only and your weak areas well worth it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Spyder Garage

Default Got the “M” designation finally!!

Good Luck!
    To update my last entry on this thread, we got the MD’s letter of medical condition/inability (to handle a large two-wheeler) from our GP and sent that into the Texas Dept. of Public Safety and she received her waiver last week. She took the test and passed and now is legal. She thinks she is so cool now. Street legal. Boy, she had to earn that license. By the way, that test is about as stupid a test as can be. They do not test main idea questions but insignificant detail questions. Most of them have no basis in your ability to drive a bike. Being a retired teacher it reminds me of the tests that come with the state adopted textbooks...they really do not test your knowledge of the information but your ability to remember tiny detail questions. Example:

When you have a flat tire your motorcycle will feel like it is.... (a) wobbly (b) heavy (c) swerving (d) skidding. Answer: B heavy???

Whose opinion is that and why a symantics game? Just had to get that off my chest.

Good luck with the class for trikes.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Told you! They have to have something on the test and multiple tests, so therefore the question. Did you want an essay test? Take your victory and run with it, proud of you.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: MSF Trike Course..

DPS places a restriction on the Class M endorsement if you take the three wheel class. You can ride on three but not on two if you have the restriction. Here is how the law currently reads, as cut and pasted from the transportation code.

"(b) If an applicant for a Class M license completes a motorcycle operator training course approved by the department that is specific to the operation of a three wheeled motorcycle, the department shall issue a Class M license restricted to the operation of a three wheeled motorcycle. 40 (b)(c)"

Sent from my MZ617 using Tapatalk 2

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

As mentioned above I took the 3 wheeled class in Lufkin with Marcus, got my certificates without having an MD letter, got the M registration on my license and there is no restriction on the number of wheels to 3 only. I got this less than 6 months ago, so suspect there may be misinformation out there.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SllimG View Post
    DPS places a restriction on the Class M endorsement if you take the three wheel class. You can ride on three but not on two if you have the restriction. Here is how the law currently reads, as cut and pasted from the transportation code.

"(b) If an applicant for a Class M license completes a motorcycle operator training course approved by the department that is specific to the operation of a three wheeled motorcycle, the department shall issue a Class M license restricted to the operation of a three wheeled motorcycle. 40 (b)(c)"

Sent from my MZ617 using Tapatalk 2
    Our group organizer got this straight from DPS, so I don't think it is misinformation. Maybe the dps office you went to just neglected to place the restriction on your license.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SllimG View Post
    Our group organizer got this straight from DPS, so I don't think it is misinformation. Maybe the dps office you went to just neglected to place the restriction on your license.
    Unlikely. Also my brother just took the same class as me, had no MD letter, and just got his M also with no wheel restrictions and from a completely different Texas DPS location. Not gonna argue about it- but perhaps an error was made by dps at your end. Sorry you had a bad experience.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by muonwhiz View Post
    Unlikely. Also my brother just took the same class as me, had no MD letter, and just got his M also with no wheel restrictions and from a completely different Texas DPS location. Not gonna argue about it- but perhaps an error was made by dps at your end. Sorry you had a bad experience.
    Most likely it is just a matter of the local office not pushing the restrictions or officer either not pushing the restrictions or the officer being uninformed.