Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Do you leave your helmet on the bike?

When stopping to go eat, shop, sight-see or whatever... do you leave your helmet and/or other gear on the bike? Our full face modular helmets aren't the most expensive out there, $200 each plus Sena headsets and a helmet cam... so basically a combined value of about $800. Due to short chin straps with the D-rings, we can't use the helmet latches. I went on a ride the other day with 10 other bikes and when we stopped to go eat inside a restaurant, we were the only ones to take our helmets in. All the others just left them sitting on their seat or hanging on a mirror. What do you do?

Has anyone had anything stolen from their bike while parked? And not parked overnight... that's a whole 'nother scenario.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmet on Bike Reply

Typically, my wife will leave her's in the front storage if we have room and I will carry mine with me. Otherwise we both carry ours in. Like you, our straps don't allow us to use the latches. Between the cost of the helmets and communication devices, guess I error on the cautious side.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Counts on the area. We bought a bike lock the long rope kind and run it thru the helmets and around the grab bars on the back.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I don't leave anything on a bike I am not prepared to loose. Or wouldn't be to upset about if it was taken. A helmet is not one of them. My buddies do. I don't. Gloves seem to be more attractive to take, then helmets. I should preface this by saying, I am not a very trusting person, and with good reason.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

In a group I leave it on the Spyder. When I ride alone I lock it up.

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

We leave both helments in the Frunk when it's empty. Otherwise, lock them together through the center of the Corbin backrest. I take the GPS off everytime!
    2012 RT Limited - Pearl White

My Mods -
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?39494-DR-Buck-s-2012-RT-Limited-Mods
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DR Buck View Post
    We leave both helments in the Frunk when it's empty. Otherwise, lock them together through the center of the Corbin backrest. I take the GPS off everytime!
    Me too!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I bought a carbonite cable lock and lock them up to the passenger handle bar.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by sonicsix View Post
    When stopping to go eat, shop, sight-see or whatever... do you leave your helmet and/or other gear on the bike? Our full face modular helmets aren't the most expensive out there, $200 each plus Sena headsets and a helmet cam... so basically a combined value of about $800. Due to short chin straps with the D-rings, we can't use the helmet latches. I went on a ride the other day with 10 other bikes and when we stopped to go eat inside a restaurant, we were the only ones to take our helmets in. All the others just left them sitting on their seat or hanging on a mirror. What do you do?

Has anyone had anything stolen from their bike while parked? And not parked overnight... that's a whole 'nother scenario.
    Buy four (two for each helmet) 1" D-rings, or whatever size is appropriate for the strap on your helmet, at your local hardware store and use the long strap to hang your helmet from the hook under the seat.

Knock on wood we have had no problem, yet. It's always better not to provide an opportunity for someone who would rather ruin your day than respect what isn't theirs.

Baja Ron - Dimple - Ultimate - Lamonster Garage - K&N - Smoothspyder - Amsoil - Hiflo - FOBO - Spyderpops

Sena - Dynaplug - Shoei - Tourmaster - Garmin

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I use a firearms cable safety lock, and hook it to the armrests...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Be safe..

Coming from a third world where they will steal the door bell and porch light bulbs I have become weary. If we can we lock them in the frunk and carry whats left. I have had the straps cut and lost the helmets before so prefer to not risk it. There is safety in numbers so as mentioned before in a group ok..
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

My husband will leave his helmet and coat. I will leave the helmet. We try to sit where we can see the bikes. We have never had anything touched but of course it is very possible to be a theft victim. If we are at a scenic stop, like in a wooded area, I tend to lock things up. There are fewer people but the area makes theft easier. IMO

Banged Up Member
    Spyder Garage

I put mine over my IPS key.

Chris

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

The quick answer to the short helmet straps and the under-seat hooks is to take a long, heavy zip-tie and loop it. Put the loop through your D-rings, and put both ends of the loop over the hook...problem solved. Stash the zip-ties in your trunk when not in use.

Spyder Garage

Constant source of family arguments.

My wife always locks her helmet w/Scala in her Frunk.

I always leave my helmet on the seat unsecured.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Members, just remember, "out of site out off mind" Don't be if you it happened to you and

you'll hear the famous " I told you sooooo".

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I always put my Shark helmet in the frunk. Dale

magical member
    Spyder Garage

Always put mine away, stop the bugs getting inside. Either in the frunk or the trailer if I have it with me.

harry

Spyder Garage

I always put my helmet and GPS in the frunk. Better safe than sorry!

Spyder Garage

Default LJspydee

We put GPS and Scala units in the trunk and use a cable bike lock through the arm rest and the helmet chin strap rings.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Depends. If we're riding with the 3/4 helmets with the comm, we lock them up in the frunks. We always activate the parking brake (RTS) too. If we're in an area where we will be away for a few hours (mall, cinema) we lock everything away and lock the steering too.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What doesn't fit in the frunk or topcase, or locked to the bike, gets carried.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I noticed that several of you say that the wife locks her stuff up and the husband leaves his out. That is usually how it goes with my husband and me. He drives me crazy when he leaves his coat and his helmet w/Scala rider on his bike. I put my helmet in the front trunk and his in the side compartment.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

If I'm away from the Spyder for more than a minute or two, I'll normally put it in the front trunk or carry it in.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I wear mine into and while in the restaurant. When people ask me why I'm wearing a helmet, I tell them I'm training to be an astronaut, so I'm getting used to wearing a helmet 24/7. People slowly back away from you and the waitress is real polite to you (though they usually take my knife and fork away and just give me a spoon and bib).