Thread: A question

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Question A question

I went for a ride today and my 2011 RT Limited felt a bit sluggish but I thought it might be due to cooler weather. At two intersections after I was stopped and I gave it some gas it quit. There was no code and I had to wait for the computer to boot back up and it started right away. It was a bit unerving to be making a left hand turn and be stalled in the intersection waiting for it to boot up. It has 11,000 miles plus on it and has never given me any problems once they got the alignment straightened on it. What should I be looking at? Any advice would be appreciated. I am the road captain lead rider for a ride next weekend. Anne

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Ours was sluggish when the rear brake didn't release. Even though it said parking brake was off.. You might engage the parking brake, observe where the rotating drum position is and then release it and make another observation. There was an issue with the spring in a bulletin. I've had ours hang several times.

Spyder Garage

Check your batttery and your ground connections. If the computer was booting back up that could mean it lost all power when it stalled. Hence the electrical connections and also make sure all fuses and relays are well seated.
    2015 Intense Red Pearl RTS SE6 - Laser Alignment by Precisyon Trac, Tri-Axis handle bars, ? to be determined.

2014 XLR Viper 305V14 Toyhauler (Home)
    2015 Ram 3500HD Crew Cab

Former Spyders
    2010 Blue RT A&C SE5 53K plus miles - never left us stranded!
    2013 Pure Magnesium Metallic ST SE5 11K plus miles - never left us stranded!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

If the engine dies and you have the engine warmed up, it should crank right back up even if your seeing the bootup process.. This may not be reccomended, but if your stalled in an intersection, who's listening to recomendations.. "Get Outta The Way". I believe anytime the engine dies it goes blank.. If I'm wrong in that statement, I'll get corrected

On a lighter note.. Spyders like cold weathwer...Their Canadian""

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Hi I have the same 2011 rt limited. On the way to the Owners Event last summer my bike was doing the same thing. Turns out I had a broken plug wire, once it was replaced the bike ran like a dream no problems since and put about 4000km on the bike after the repair. And yes trust me these bikes love cold weather....when you have Snotsiclkes hanging from your face and you can still smile it's still not that cold to ride. Living up here in cold Alberta, well actually today is quite nice.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When everything failed, go see your dealer mechanic.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

It is not normal. First, check to see that the battery connections (inside the bodywork, not the jumper connections under the seat) are clean and tight. Then check that the rear frame ground (negative jumper terminal under the seat) is tight. Failing that, see your dealer. Could be a bad DESS module, bad kill switch, or bad connection elsewhere...or a bad cluster. A bad spark plug wire can stall the machine, but won't cause a reboot.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

A loose fuse ( cooling fan relay) was discovered in the frunk so I am hoping that will end it. If not to the shop she goes. Thanks everybody for the help! Anne

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

you should be able to squeeze clutch and hit starter button as soon as it shuts off regardless as to what the computer is doing. it will start right back up....i have, as much as i hate to admit it, stalled ours in intersections and it starts right back up...nothing more scarey than stalling in a large group of bikers...you tend to get a lot of good natured ribbing. embarass the h out of you also..