Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Expected Price For Spyder Sale

What should one expect to be able to sell a Spyder for these days?

When I bought mine in April, I couldn't find a used one within 500 miles, almost all were dealer sales, so when I stumbled upon a local individual party, I jumped at the chance. At that time, I payed $1000 over KBB low book, which was the KBB individual sales price, so I felt it was a fair offer, as did the seller. So here we are seven months later and my wife has no interest in riding anymore, so we have put all of 1100 miles on it. It just doesn't do me any good to sit around, as it was to be OUR weekend getaway toy.

Now, since the better than sliced bread and the answer to everyone's dreams 2013 have been announced and anything 2012 or older is sooooo yesterday, what could a person expect to get value wise for a 2010 RT-S SM5 with under 2K trouble free (all recalls done) miles?

Upgrades include the SpyderPops, BumpSkid, radiator block off plate and grills, belt guard, CalSci windshield and upgraded front speakers (never got to the back).

Is there a better time to sell a Spyder, or is the market totally unpredictable? Sorry for the relatively basic questions, but all I've ever had experience with is buying and selling cars, and it seems KBB was the final word. Aside from the 2013 release, I get a strange feeling there are other factors I'm not aware of. Phoenix is a big time HD town too, so there isn't much to reference locally! Thanks in advance.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidLifeCrisis View Post
    What should one expect to be able to sell a Spyder for these days?

When I bought mine in April, I couldn't find a used one within 500 miles, almost all were dealer sales, so when I stumbled upon a local individual party, I jumped at the chance. At that time, I payed $1000 over KBB low book, which was the KBB individual sales price, so I felt it was a fair offer, as did the seller. So here we are seven months later and my wife has no interest in riding anymore, so we have put all of 1100 miles on it. It just doesn't do me any good to sit around, as it was to be OUR weekend getaway toy.

Now, since the better than sliced bread and the answer to everyone's dreams 2013 have been announced and anything 2012 or older is sooooo yesterday, what could a person expect to get value wise for a 2010 RT-S SM5 with under 2K trouble free (all recalls done) miles?

Upgrades include the SpyderPops, BumpSkid, radiator block off plate and grills, belt guard, CalSci windshield and upgraded front speakers (never got to the back).

Is there a better time to sell a Spyder, or is the market totally unpredictable? Sorry for the relatively basic questions, but all I've ever had experience with is buying and selling cars, and it seems KBB was the final word. Aside from the 2013 release, I get a strange feeling there are other factors I'm not aware of. Phoenix is a big time HD town too, so there isn't much to reference locally! Thanks in advance.
    You could go to a dealership, and ask a salesman what a good selling price would be. Even with Arizona not having a snow condition to prevent riding. I would figure that in the spring the price would go up, as the summer riding season starts.
    Is it Friday yet? ... Oh yeah, I forgot. I'm retired

Past bikes
    2010 RS - Sold
    2012 RT - Sold
    2014 RT - Testing completed
    2016 F3-T Audio package - Sold

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Expected Price For Spyder Sale

I was looking at that same bike (minus the upgrades) here in TX about 3 weeks ago. It had 6,500 miles and the dealer was asking $19,500. Hope this helps.

Spyder Garage

I'm GUESSING here, but when I bought mine used I called every dealer in Southern California and found ONE used RT that I bought (at a great price) in May, I think. Craigslist had nothing at all.

Today, CL lists lots of Spyders for sale, most by dealers.

I don't know, but the Spyder seems to be a summer ride for many owners, and I can't help but wonder if most Spyders aren't sold by early spring, and if when I bought wasn't a more difficult time to find used Spyders (bringing the price up, as the availability goes way down).

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Sell in the spring

Spring is seller's market. Winter is buyer's market.

value is what someone is willing to pay.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: Expected Price For Spyder Sale

Makes sense. Thanks for shedding some light :-)

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2

Spyder Garage

I am guessing 1K to 2K less than you paid as a starting point. The information about the 2013's is flooding the market with used machines--making it a buyer's market. Good luck on your sale.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Re: Expected Price For Spyder Sale

That's what I was thinking, but reality seems to be around 15k. I may just wait till spring. We'll see what the 2013s really bring. I have a pretty good suspension that once the market settles down and the first 2013 burps and and gets flamed on the forums, the older models will receive realistic values again. I could be wrong, but for a loss of over 5k in 7 months, I'd rather risk the wait. My Spyder has been running great and the boss just may change her mind with a loss that big, so there's definitely no rush on my part.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by MidLifeCrisis; 11-05-2012 at 09:26 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I am guessing 1K to 2K less than you paid as a starting point.
    I don't know about that. When I found a good deal on a used Spyder and put it up here so somebody else could take advantage of it (they did, by the way), I was virtually flamed for what could be wrong with the bike, and how it might be as scam (from a dealer? really???).

I would put myself in their shoes and ask how much discount you would have needed to buy a used Spyder over a new one - one or two thousand wouldn't have been near enough for me (it took $7K before taxes), and if I had it to do again I'd likely have bought a new one now that I know how much I love it.

The same dealer now has new Limited Editions in the $24K range - nearly the same discount I received on a two year old used Spyder. I'm not blaming them - I got a very good deal, but the market does change.

Personally, I'd wait out the winter (or, perhaps not in AZ, as your winter really is prime time for most things - it depends on the buying patterns there), but just as you can't walk away from a used car and just take a 10% hit, I don't think it is likely to with a Spyder either, especially when it is two years old and the new models seem to have been improved in meaningful ways.

I may be wrong, but it would make sense to adjust expectations based on the market, rather than on the initial and subsequent investments in the Spyder.

I do wish you the best of luck with the sale, and might also urge you to put some additional miles on it before you let it go to get some of that enjoyment you paid for!

----

Edit:

Now that I've read all the way down, again, I agree that $15K sounds about right. Sometimes, however, it really is nice to take to the hills on your own. There isn't much I like to do by myself, but I've found that this works very well with and without my wife (who, now, likes to ride on it as much as I do).
    Last edited by MRH; 11-05-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Expected price for spyder

The best deal you could make is to get your wife to change her mind.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

My suggestion would be to stop fussing over the theoretical value. Just set the price where you want, possibly based on KBB and NADA values, and put it on the market. If somebody bites, you are all set. If not, you can try again in the Spring, adjusting your price if necessary. Nobody knows what it is worth until it is sold, so decide what you would like to get out of it, and try. JMHO

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

To the OP. Most people take KBB as gospel, but it never reflects what the local market is able to bear. In an area with lots of competition you might see lower prices as sellers try to compete to sell. On the west coast, or places with year round riding, motorcycles (Can Ams included) seem to stay higher than say in the midwest. You can always look on eBay and Searchtempest.com to see what others are pricing them at and price accordingly. You could also list it with a reserve on eBay and see what folks are willing to bid. Like others have said, spring is a better time to sell because everybody is looking for something to ride.
    When life throws you curves, aim for the apex
    Current stable: 09 Thruxton / 09 FZ6
    Sold List: 97 Ninja500R, 03 SV650K3, 01 Ducati 750Sport Dark, 73 CB350/4, 03 F650GSA, 08 Gixxer600, 03 Gixxer600, 91 VFR750F, 09 KLX250, 06 Thruxton 900, 08 Spyder RS , 12 Street TripleR, 15 RC390, 02 VFR800, 09 KLX250S, 10 F650GS
    JLohPhotos
    ... Motorcycles are kind of like Baskin Robbins... You're looking at 31 flavors of ice cream, don't you kind of want to know what they all taste like?...
    2008 GS , Millennium Yellow

Spyder Garage

With your climate- Selling it Now is your best chance rather than the Heat of the Summer.
    Put it on Craigs List and Go from there! If your Not riding it , it will just continue to age and lose more value?

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!