Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wind

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

you are getting a lot of suggestions - so I will add one more.

Just keep driving it and see if with another 1000 miles you still feel the same way? Lots of things you can do - some costing money - but you may find that after you get more time in the saddle you are not as concerned. Loosen the grip but that too will come with time. Been there myself and now I just dont even notice it.

Checking tire and rear suspension settings is always good (and free to do).

magical member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcoker View Post
    I have to ask. Are the ones hav ing a problem with wind newto riding? I own several bikes & a 2012 limited. I have factory shocks & settings. With the
    cruise on I take my hands off the bars for miles at a time only reaching up to make minor adjustments in my lane. This is at 75-85 MPH. Just relax. The spyder will handle the wind. I don't mean to sound harsh. I just really don't have this problem. Its not a car. You do feel the environment

This your road expearance coming into play, as a sessioned rider myself I don't have the issue. A lot of new riders/ new to three wheels will tend to grip the handlebars and hold on for dear life, it only natural. Once they get some time in the seat you tend to relax your grip. I have some very fond memories of riding through Europe many years ago on two wheels, once we where riding at 45 degree angle in an extremely strong cross wind in monsoon rain. So riding the Spyder in a cross wind with three wheel support is a breeze.

To the O.P. you have some great advice already posted here. I run stock shocks set at 4 with 18 psi in my front tires and it handles really well. I've been told that stock shocks are only good for 20,000 miles or so, figured I would ride on them until they need to be replaced, then pony up for the Elkas. Get some more time in the seat and you will relax you grip as you become more confident with your spyder.

Harry

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rar View Post
    Many thanks for all of these helpful suggestions.

Hubby changed the shock setting to 5 and increased the front tire PSI to 17. I'll see if that helps with the wind. Wouldn't you know it isn't very windy today.

Will the increased shock setting make the steering less responsive in curves?
    No, just the opposite....but it will take the 'yee and yaw' out of cornering. Sounds like your tire pressure was kinda low if he went 'up' to 17 psi....I run 22 in my front tires.

Head out the Military Tpk towards E'Burg, that's a good testing ground for handling!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dannymax View Post
    No, just the opposite....but it will take the 'yee and yaw' out of cornering. Sounds like your tire pressure was kinda low if he went 'up' to 17 psi....I run 22 in my front tires.

Head out the Military Tpk towards E'Burg, that's a good testing ground for handling!
    What a coincidence you mentioned that direction. That's exactly where Hubby is taking me today. I lowered my windshield too. Wind is picking up, so it will be a good test.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

What a coincidence you mentioned that direction. That's exactly where Hubby is taking me today. I lowered my windshield too. Wind is picking up, so it will be a good test.
    Then take a left over that way and go over West Mt. (think that's what it's called) the wind never stops up there! Actually, there might even be some windmills up there now....heard they are all over up that way.

Have a good ride, relax, you'll do just fine.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Danny,
    I do know a good doctor if you need some... "help"...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

There's a lot of good advice here that most of us went through while relearning how to ride. Some is this is intrinsic to the Spyder though--it's not all the riders fault. For instance, the Elkas really do help as they stiffen the too soft suspension & raise the bike changing the camber. Recommended tire pressures are too soft, windscreen too tall. The BRP sport screen or the calsci screen help. That said, experience will be the real key to this as you gain confidence.
    One thing that goes on is the turbulence felt by the rider coupled with minor movement usually cause the rider to tighten up and start over controlling. IMO, the biggest benefit of the calsci screen is that it is much wider which dampens the turbulence felt by the rider thereby reducing overcontrolling. There is an issue in flying called PIO (pilot induced oscillation). Years back I had built a Varieze which is small, weird looking canard aircraft. It was very sensitive and on my first take off I got into a wild PIO with it bucking up and down. The conventional wisdom to correct this was to let go of the stick completely and simply trim it and that actually worked. In the Spyder, the rider causes much the same thing when gusty winds or a passing trailer causes undo turbulence. We can't let go but we can go to a very light grip on the bars which will slow down and dampen the perceived darting effect. Bottom line, experience will get you through this. I had same issues at first. I rode the last few days where we still have wicked winds from Isaac and I have no control concerns whatsoever and feel very comfy. Also, if you've got the bucks, buy the Elkas.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Lol.. get the Elkas, nothing else will get rid of the side wind effect, I live in a windy area and I know from experience, nothing else comes close to solving the issue and no, it will not void the warranty, the dealer lists them as an option.

Take care,

Randy

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcoker View Post
    I have to ask. Are the ones hav ing a problem with wind newto riding? I own several bikes & a 2012 limited. I have factory shocks & settings. With the
    cruise on I take my hands off the bars for miles at a time only reaching up to make minor adjustments in my lane. This is at 75-85 MPH. Just relax. The spyder will handle the wind. I don't mean to sound harsh. I just really don't have this problem. Its not a car. You do feel the environment
    Not everyone (if anyone) is new to riding. I have ridden more than 200,000 miles on Goldwings, Ultra Classics, Voygers, etc. When I got my Spyder this spring, it was the windy part of spring weather here in Minnesota. For the first 300 or 400 miles, I was concerned that I may have made a mistake with this purchase. After the initial miles, I am sure it was a good purchase and I have no concerns about driving it in strong winds. The problem was simply the difference between driving the three wheeled Spyder compared to the two wheeled Goldwing I traded in. Plus, I increased the air pressure to 18 lbs and raised the shocks to the fourth setting.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post

Danny,
    I do know a good doctor if you need some... "help"...
    We may need to talk Bob!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Stiffer shocks and more front pressure will make the bike more responsive, maybe too much. I use shock setting 4 and 18 psi in the front, 28 psi in the back with adjustable rear air shock at low middle for solo to high middle for two up (wife is only 120 pounds). I ride a 2012 RT which has slightly better shocks. When I had a '09 RS I used the same settings.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default wind movement

I had the same problem with the wind .I fought the wind all the time ,when i was behind a truck it would blow me all over.My wife talked me into a new full face helment whith a full cover and a sun screen ,i could'nt beleive the differance the wind problem whent away ! the problem was not the spyder as much as it was blowing my head around causing me to move my body and arms!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Exactly right, I agree

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Then take a left over that way and go over West Mt. (think that's what it's called) the wind never stops up there! Actually, there might even be some windmills up there now....heard they are all over up that way.

Have a good ride, relax, you'll do just fine.
    Yes, we went by the windmills. They were amazing. I felt like I was in another world. I want to go back again, get a closer look (though they are really close to the road) and take pictures. I considered the winds strong. the weather channel said winds were 12-15, with gusts of 28, and that was in Plattsburgh. They were likely stronger in that area.

tried to remember everything posted here and feel I did okay, except for the gusts. I lowered my windshield. While it seems to help with the wind, it gives the illusion that my line of vision was cut in half. (like bifocals). The gusts however were a different story. Every time there was a gust, I automatically grabbed the handlebars tighter to hold on Of course, the Spyder responded with a jerk.

More practice.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Yes, we went by the windmills. They were amazing. I felt like I was in another world. I want to go back again, get a closer look (though they are really close to the road) and take pictures. I considered the winds strong. the weather channel said winds were 12-15, with gusts of 28, and that was in Plattsburgh. They were likely stronger in that area.

tried to remember everything posted here and feel I did okay, except for the gusts. I lowered my windshield. While it seems to help with the wind, it gives the illusion that my line of vision was cut in half. (like bifocals). The gusts however were a different story. Every time there was a gust, I automatically grabbed the handlebars tighter to hold on Of course, the Spyder responded with a jerk.

More practice.
    Yeah, more practice is what's called for and after awhile your will feel more stable to you and your confidence will build.

'Another world' is how someone else described those windmills! I've heard some people that live near them actually have mental issues....like there's aliens constantly looking down on them! Or maybe the mental issues came BEFORE the windmills....

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb So many 'little' things to try

It can be very frustrating, but like you said, more practice and try to remember to grip the seat more with your knees for stability instead of the handle bars

Curious, are you ryding with a full face helmet, 3/4, 1/2 or skidlid? As Mikie posted {I had the same problem with the wind .I fought the wind all the time ,when i was behind a truck it would blow me all over.My wife talked me into a new full face helment whith a full cover and a sun screen ,i could'nt beleive the differance the wind problem whent away ! the problem was not the spyder as much as it was blowing my head around causing me to move my body and arms!} maybe switching helmets might give you a little more relief as well Can't hurt to try, right?

One other option for you to try, and this is something another RT ryder told me about, and I didn't believe him til I tried it myself.

I usually only wear a baseball cap facing forward, so I feel every little bit of wind turbulence unlike when wearing a helmet, as a helmet does mask much of it from your head. So when my buddy recommended me removing the LOWER clear plastic wind deflectors, I thought he crazy as that was too low to effect anything up toward your head, right? I mean where they are placed, it would seem logical that they would effect wind turbulence around your hips, waist and maybe your torso, but not your head and neck All I can say, is its very easy for you to check this out for yourself, as its only 2 bolts on each one that holds them on. Undo the two bolts, and remove those wind deflectors and go for a ryde. If your wearing a helmet, you will only notice a marginal difference, but if your like me, wearing a baseball cap, the difference is astounding Just to claify, I'm referring to these that are directly below the mirrors on the RT
    1332112614613.jpg1332112630315.jpg1332112569894.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

'Another world' is how someone else described those windmills! I've heard some people that live near them actually have mental issues....like there's aliens constantly looking down on them...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CyncySpyder View Post
    It can be very frustrating, but like you said, more practice and try to remember to grip the seat more with your knees for stability instead of the handle bars

Curious, are you ryding with a full face helmet, 3/4, 1/2 or skidlid? As Mikie posted {I had the same problem with the wind .I fought the wind all the time ,when i was behind a truck it would blow me all over.My wife talked me into a new full face helment whith a full cover and a sun screen ,i could'nt beleive the differance the wind problem whent away ! the problem was not the spyder as much as it was blowing my head around causing me to move my body and arms!} maybe switching helmets might give you a little more relief as well Can't hurt to try, right?

One other option for you to try, and this is something another RT ryder told me about, and I didn't believe him til I tried it myself.

I usually only wear a baseball cap facing forward, so I feel every little bit of wind turbulence unlike when wearing a helmet, as a helmet does mask much of it from your head. So when my buddy recommended me removing the LOWER clear plastic wind deflectors, I thought he crazy as that was too low to effect anything up toward your head, right? I mean where they are placed, it would seem logical that they would effect wind turbulence around your hips, waist and maybe your torso, but not your head and neck All I can say, is its very easy for you to check this out for yourself, as its only 2 bolts on each one that holds them on. Undo the two bolts, and remove those wind deflectors and go for a ryde. If your wearing a helmet, you will only notice a marginal difference, but if your like me, wearing a baseball cap, the difference is astounding Just to claify, I'm referring to these that are directly below the mirrors on the RT
    1332112614613.jpg1332112630315.jpg1332112569894.jpg

I wear a 3/4 helmet. Hubby removed the lower wind deflectors for today's ride. I felt it made the wind worse on my upper torso. We put them back on and I will take the RT out for another spin later. It was very windy again today, and while I would prefer little to no wind, I am relaxing more

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Lightbulb Keep with it, the more seat experience you get, the more you'll Relax & Enjoy

I wear a 3/4 helmet. Hubby removed the lower wind deflectors for today's ride. I felt it made the wind worse on my upper torso. We put them back on and I will take the RT out for another spin later. It was very windy again today, and while I would prefer little to no wind, I am relaxing more
    Interesting, just goes to prove, we're not all the same I'm glad you tried it tho & could tell a difference, for me, its much less for some reason. hmmmmmmmm ahaaaa, I think I know why. I switched Teds Red Sled back to the 'ole 2010 RT shield, which is close to 2 inches wider and taller than the 11 & 12 RT shields. I wanted more wind protection, especially in winter ryding. That may be why you got such a different result than I

I've gotta say tho, after reading about the shields that CalSci offer for the RT, that's gonna be our next upgrade one of these days

Keep with it, I'm proud of you for trying so hard More often than not, there's just no replacement for experience and time in the seat tho

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I keep looking at those California Scientific windshields... They appear quite promising...
    There's another thread right now discussing them.