Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default SEAT/PAD AND TANK BAGS

I am looking for a cushion, pillow, or something that would allow me to ryde for longer periods. Hip surgery might be in my future. I found this one http://cyclegiant.com/products/2732-...er-accessories and wondered if anyone here knows if they help at all, or perhaps know of something good they've tried.

I am also looking for a tank bag. Most use magnets. Will they work on a Spyder? For those seeking something low priced, http://www.alihamsgiftoutlet.com/sea...9536753=Search Can't beat those prices, but don't know how to attach it or any that use magnets to a without modification. I would like one perhaps a little better than those, though. I've spent more time than I care to admit shopping online for these two items. Does anyone have anything to suggest?

Extra comfort seat and/or tank bag............I will attach a fabric loop onto it that will hold a water bottle in place. I thought of one of those old fashioned cup holders that attached to car door/window which I have. Velro it on and down the road I go. Just need a tank bag and a hip replacement seat ready for velcro or permanent loop sewn onto it.

Thanks, in advance, for any suggestions.

Sandy

Spyder Garage

I use two different pads depending on the "pain of the day".

Alaska Leather sheepskin/gel pad and the AirHawk Cushion. Shop around for the AirHawk to get the best shipping. I used Dennis Kirk for that one. Medium Cruiser size fits the perfect.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GOOD OLE J.C. WHITNEY

J.C. Whitney has them for less than anyone.....
    by the way they are not very good also they seem to disappear
    as in stolen often

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Check the For Sale section here, someone was selling an Air Hawk recently, pretty cheap, and it might still be available. I use an Alaska Leather sheepskin pad along with a Freedom Air seat cushion - more cush for my tush .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I also use Alaska Sheepskin & Airhawk. I use the tank bag I used on my BMW K1200lt. Because of the sharp peak on the glovebox, I had to put a male side of screw-in snap under the lip (above the gas tank filler on both side) that is hidden when the seat is down. then I ran an elastic strap between the the bag bottom and the rubberized base with female snaps on each end. This stops the "rocking" the bag did. All bags, except one made for the spyder, do not accommodate that peak.
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi Sandy!
    Tank bags; I'm pretty sure that a magnetic mount isn't going to work at all. You'll need to look for some of the "Old School" designs that used straps.
    Well; More than half of the fun is supposed to be in the shopping anyway!
    Let us know what you find...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

arntufun

Sandy............. be prepared for one heck of a shock if you start pricing those Air Hawk seat cushions. We were at Americade and my friend bought a second one for his Spyder. As soon as he told me the price for those things, I about had a heart attack. They maybe somewhat nice, but they sure are ripping people off with the price of them.

If I needed a cushion that bad, I would just get a dinning room chair cushion at Walmart for 5 bucks.
    Last edited by arntufun; 08-02-2012 at 03:12 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    If I needed a cushion that bad, I would just get a dinning room chair cushion at Walmart for 5 bucks.

Now He tells us!!! Couldda saved a bundle!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Walmart has a cushion $20 that lots of people use on the Goldwings.I used it for our 7000 mile ride in June.I tried it out yesterday on the Spyder.It worked.Makes for a comfortable ride.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default AIRHAWK 2 SEAT

Wellll................... AKSpyderman has never given me bad advise, and once I read his post, I went shopping again. The prices of those darlings are all over the place, upwards of $140-150, depending on the store (Amazon $140), and down to #76.50 + 10.50 ground ship AT BKBIKER.COM. Best deal I could find, and not a terrible price after reading here and there what people thought about them. EVERYONE please understand that I do not value one opinion over another, no matter what. I ask for suggestions for purchases (and other stuff as well) and then do the research with my needs and pocketbook in mind.

I am still himming and hawing over the tank bag. I just might make that baby myself, as I already have the needed reverse V shape in mind for the underside, how to cut the shape and sew it all together. One could actually take a piece of styrofoam or foam rubber, carve the V out of it so it lays on the Spyder good, (aerosol can )spray glue some soft fabric onto it and then secure a flat bottomed bag onto that. Still thinking...................

Thank you, ALL, for the good suggestions.

Sandy

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshyn View Post
    Wellll................... AKSpyderman has never given me bad advise, and once I read his post, I went shopping again. The prices of those darlings are all over the place, upwards of $140-150, depending on the store (Amazon $140), and down to #76.50 + 10.50 ground ship AT BKBIKER.COM. Best deal I could find, and not a terrible price after reading here and there what people thought about them. EVERYONE please understand that I do not value one opinion over another, no matter what. I ask for suggestions for purchases (and other stuff as well) and then do the research with my needs and pocketbook in mind.

I am still himming and hawing over the tank bag. I just might make that baby myself, as I already have the needed reverse V shape in mind for the underside, how to cut the shape and sew it all together. One could actually take a piece of styrofoam or foam rubber, carve the V out of it so it lays on the Spyder good, (aerosol can )spray glue some soft fabric onto it and then secure a flat bottomed bag onto that. Still thinking...................

Thank you, ALL, for the good suggestions.

Sandy

Whats wrong with the BRP tank bag they make ????? They are designed for the Spyder.
    Click this link. -------> http://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-Tank-...3f10bd&vxp=mtr
    Last edited by arntufun; 08-02-2012 at 04:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

I can't speak for seat cushions, because I don't use one. I have a corbin seat which I find comfortable for me. As far as a tank bag these are a couple of options. I have the Cortech Mini tank bag and it actually works very well on my RS spyder. It is strap mount and stays very secure. I've seen the Nelson Rigg Canam tank bag and that is a nice tank bag too.

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/..._tank_bag.html

http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/..._tank_bag.html

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Tank Bag

I have the Nelson Rigg tank bag and like it a lot. It attaches with straps. It is a bit of a pain to install, but once installed you can leave it on the bike.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

cant really say anything about the pads but my dealer didn't even have the can-am tank bags. they seem to only carry the nelson riggs (of course you could order a can-am bag and pay twice as much).

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

While reading this thread I thought hey would a small kids back pack work for a tank bag just run the straps though the strap rings under the handlebars and make a hook to hook onto the bottom of the panel in front of the seat? Got to check this out.

2010 RTS-SE, Orbital Blue
    Spyder Garage

Default cuh for the tush

I use Bead Riders all the time and if I plan on extended rides, I have a sheepskin cut to the same size as the beads. The sheepskin makes stitting softer and the beads allow for airflow under the sheepskin. It works for me, plus I don't "break the bank".

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retired1 View Post
    I use Bead Riders all the time and if I plan on extended rides, I have a sheepskin cut to the same size as the beads. The sheepskin makes stitting softer and the beads allow for airflow under the sheepskin. It works for me, plus I don't "break the bank".
    Same here. Beadriders and Alaska sheepskin over! Rode 2 hours today in 90 degrees with 72 Dew Point and the rear was fine.
    If its not humid Just the Sheepskin and real comfy!!!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

rapid transit makes a small tank bag model S4, with 6 rubber suction cups on the bottom. Also comes with carry straps. have worn out one and am on my second one in 10 years. It's great for those trips on the RT. Never falls off, looks good, and works. Check out the Rapid Transit motorcycle luggage dealers. Its the next to the smallest bag they make .They may be discontinued, but check on the web. There are still some out there. updated information Guzzi
    Last edited by Guzzi; 08-03-2012 at 09:54 PM.
    GUZZI :
    2020 RTL blue

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default My camera bag

When I bought my first really good camera with extra lens, I looked for a small backpack to put it in, b/c using a "Canon" bag just advertised what was likely inside it. I put it on RED and it fits just about perfect and is flexible enough to overcome the inverted V shape of the Spyder "tank" area. So, before I buy one of the tank bags, I'll look for one of these and get some suction cups to attach. I'll update this when I decide on something. I am thinking under $10 total cost.

Sandy
    Quote Originally Posted by donec View Post
    While reading this thread I thought hey would a small kids back pack work for a tank bag just run the straps though the strap rings under the handlebars and make a hook to hook onto the bottom of the panel in front of the seat? Got to check this out.