Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Ultimate Spyderlover
    Spyder Garage

Default What do other bikes get?

I haven't ridden many cycles and don't know how far bikes can cover on one tank? How far can a typical motorcycle ride before refueling?.....tourers, sporties, scooters, etc.

Are we at the low end, middle, or high end of the range as far as distance travelled? I just read someone getting 200 miles on a tank (really pushing the envelope)
    Last edited by Kratos; 07-27-2012 at 03:21 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I get 325 KMs (+ -) to a full tank of gas on my 2011 Ninja 1000.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

My last new bike with FI was a Yamaha Stryker(1300 cc) and depending on how hard I pushed it would get 36-40 mpg and had a 4 gallon tank. The 883 sportster gets me about 34.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had a pair of V-Star 650s... They were always good for better than 50mpg.
    My 'Wing was pretty much a 40 mpg ride
    The GB500 was good for about 60 mpg
    The TransAlp: about 45 mpg
    Ummmm... those are the ones that I can remember...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Ultimate Spyderlover
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I had a pair of V-Star 650s... They were always good for better than 50mpg.
    My 'Wing was pretty much a 40 mpg ride
    The GB500 was good for about 60 mpg
    The TransAlp: about 45 mpg
    Ummmm... those are the ones that I can remember...
    How far could you get on a tank with these bikes?

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

The Spyder mileage will never challenge that of a conventional motorcycle. It may come close to a trike conversion, though. Too much frontal area and friction from the wide tires and three tracks to get great mileage. Also, they are aerodynamically "dirty". There is no good way to give the mileage on a "typical" bike. They are all different. A bike with a fairing gets better mileage than the same bike naked. A small bike gets better mileage than a large one. Having a large windshield or riding with the windshield up hurts the gas mileage. That being said, the Spyder is at the bottom end...or lower. My BMW R1100RT gets 35-50...typically about 42 mpg. My BMW R75/5 gets 50-55. A Honda SuperCub could get over 100 mpg. If you want a Spyder, go for it, but don't try the argument that you will get better gas mileage.....unless you drive a 4WD pickup.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The Spyder mileage will never challenge that of a conventional motorcycle. It may come close to a trike conversion, though. Too much frontal area and friction from the wide tires and three tracks to get great mileage. Also, they are aerodynamically "dirty". There is no good way to give the mileage on a "typical" bike. They are all different. A bike with a fairing gets better mileage than the same bike naked. A small bike gets better mileage than a large one. Having a large windshield or riding with the windshield up hurts the gas mileage. That being said, the Spyder is at the bottom end...or lower. My BMW R1100RT gets 35-50...typically about 42 mpg. My BMW R75/5 gets 50-55. A Honda SuperCub could get over 100 mpg. If you want a Spyder, go for it, but don't try the argument that you will get better gas mileage.....unless you drive a 4WD pickup.

i ride my spyder to do things arround town.

its a lot better than my 15 mpg wrangler and alot more fun.
    only downside for me is that its hard to smake a seegar on a spyder with a small windshield

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I had an ST1300 I used to run to 250 miles before refueling.I also had a Goldwing which we I ran 200 before refueling.Both bikes did about 42 mph.
    S

Ultimate Spyderlover
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Ivorspyder View Post
    I had an ST1300 I used to run to 250 miles before refueling.I also had a Goldwing which we I ran 200 before refueling.Both bikes did about 42 mph.
    S
    Thanks. That's what I was wanting to know. Distance travelled on a tank.

MPG may be higher on other bikes but if they have a smaller tank, then we're all fueling up at the same time.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Busa1.jpgI get 30 mpg on the Busa and with the smaller tank, thats only 100 miles between fill-ups. But, what a rush those 100 miles are
    Last edited by dave01; 07-27-2012 at 03:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

My Goldwing Trike got 35mpg pretty regularly for 8 years. My 09 SE5 gets about 35mpg but varies more than the GW did and weighs 500 lbs less. I would think it's pushing less air than the GW too but it is a lot faster off the line etc. I don't think fuel economy was a high priority in the first Spyder design. Now that it's a success they might give that a 2nd look.

How far should a full tank go? About as far as your butt or your bladder will go. Anything more is excess.

Spyder Garage

My BMW R1200GSA has an 8.7 gallon tank. Way more than I need for most riding and I never fill it up unless I'm heading out for a long road trip. I can usually get 45-50 mpg if I'm not running 70 mph, so range is far, far more than I can tolerate as the driver.

On the Spyder the ability to go over 100 miles easily between fuel stops is as much as I normally want anyway. Only time it's a disadvantage is out west where, once in a while, fuel stops are few and far between.
    Dan

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default GAS MILEAGE

Believe it or not, I've never run out of gas with my 08 GS.....But I did go 214 once and was sucking fumes.....Mike...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos View Post
    How far could you get on a tank with these bikes?
    That information is so very lost in the deepest, darkest recesses of my feeble mind...Sorry!

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

I haven't ridden many cycles and don't know how far bikes can cover on one tank? How far can a typical motorcycle ride before refueling?.....tourers, sporties, scooters, etc.

Are we at the low end, middle, or high end of the range as far as distance travelled? I just read someone getting 200 miles on a tank (really pushing the envelope)
    Believe it or not, Most bikes will do 180 to 200 miles, It seems the better the gas mileage of a particular bike the smaller it's gas tank, There are some exceptions, But as a rule that's the way it works.
    With the Spyder your comfort zone should be 180 miles because its hard to fill the Spyders tank with the same amount of gas every time. If you know you did fill the tank ''ALL'' the way to the top you might make it to 200miles.

Spyder Garage

My Honda CBR 600rr get about 30 per gallon....
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Ultimate Spyderlover
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Believe it or not, Most bikes will do 180 to 200 miles, It seems the better the gas mileage of a particular bike the smaller it's gas tank, There are some exceptions, But as a rule that's the way it works.
    With the Spyder your comfort zone should be 180 miles because its hard to fill the Spyders tank with the same amount of gas every time. If you know you did fill the tank ''ALL'' the way to the top you might make it to 200miles.
    That's the information I was looking for. Thanks. Even though some bikes may get a lot more mpg, with a smaller tank, we'll all be fueling at the same time. This is good to know in case I'm riding with other brands.

I was fearing that I would be the one who would be saying "hey guys, I gotta stop again and get some gas"...and they're thinking "this spyder is holding us up!"

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

That's the information I was looking for. Thanks. Even though some bikes may get a lot more mpg, with a smaller tank, we'll all be fueling at the same time. This is good to know in case I'm riding with other brands.

I was fearing that I would be the one who would be saying "hey guys, I gotta stop again and get some gas"...and they're thinking "this spyder is holding us up!"
    180 miles is optimistic for many Spyders. Don't count on it! My RT has averaged 28.0 mpg since I got it. Allowing for 1.4 gallons remaining when the low fuel light comes on, that means stopping for fuel by about 130 miles...only if you are comfortable going until you get a light. Under windy conditions, the Spyder's mileage may drop off faster than a smaller profile bike. That could mean needing fuel in as little as 100 miles or less. On the average, Spyders do stop more often. My BMW can go 200-250 miles before refueling, with the same size tank.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Start looking at 125 miles or so; start getting nervous at 150...

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Start looking at 125 miles or so; start getting nervous at 150...

And if you are traveling in New Mexico, two-up on an RT, 75-80mph, pulling a fully loaded trailer, AND fighting 40 mph winds,,,,,, well you start getting nervous at 100. No joke.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Not really concerned...now. I carry a REDA can.
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In the LEFT saddlebag???

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The right saddlebag has a heat shield. Don't think it would get much hotter than the left.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Well I never bought any MC for mileage, but I have run my 1800 Goldwing 240 miles on a tank of reg. fuel. And If Honda ever built there own trike, I would most likely have one. But I do love my Spyder. Even if it is APITA to change oil.

Spyder Garage

When I had my Vulcan 900 I got 47 miles per gallon. I could go 200 miles before refueling if I had to. (5.3 gallon tank).

We went to Seward AK yesterday--143 miles one way. I refueled in Seward and drove all the way home. There are still 3 bars left on the digital gauge. My low fuel light goes on at about 2 bars. I am guessing when we fuel up this AM that each bike will take about 4.2 gallons. We are now getting about 34 mph since each riding our own ,s, instead of two up.

Akspyderlady's fuel consumption is comparable to mine and we usually are within one to two tenths difference on equal mileage fill ups.

I am okay now with going 180-185 before filling up if I have to.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red