Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's waving at bikers, then there's waving at bikers.... Most of us will wave to anyone on motorcycles. He many wave at those riding bicycles? They are bikers too aren't they?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    There's waving at bikers, then there's waving at bikers.... Most of us will wave to anyone on motorcycles. He many wave at those riding bicycles? They are bikers too aren't they?

I love Super Troopers !

Very Active Member Star Cruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

No more, no less than any other biker. I'd say 90% of all bikers give the wave back!

Spyder Garage

Default Acknowledging other oncoming bikers.

If the truth be told most "spyder owners" were previous Harley owners/riders. In our area most passing bikes wave. Especially when you wave first. I think that showes that Spyders are not stuck up or acting like elitists!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As a general rule, I would have to say I've observed a lesser percentage of Harley riders that wave versus other brands. Probably the best percentage were Goldwingers. I not sure of the reasons, but I'm sure everyone has their reasons for waving or not. I try to wave every time. Dale

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ok my primary ride is a Harley and only get to ride the wife's spyder on occasion, but it seems like lately that if they aren't wearing a helmet I don't get a wave back. Hmmm, maybe I should post this on the other thread about wearing helmets and stir the pot a bit.

I have had several bikes over the years. Went to Sturgis several years on a Kawasaki and would say have always got 70-80 percent wave backs. When I ride the spyder it seems about the same, but I get my picture taken more often on the spyder.

Spyder Garage

Here in the Toronto Ontario, Canada area I get about 98% return or initiated waves.

The only "Purists" have been those Overweight Greese licking HD tshirt wearing Ford Pickup Driving slobs. "that's nothing but a snow mobile"....

I get the MOST thumbs up from car drivers. :> They always have the most questions for me.

D

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default last night - very interesting!

had the bike for five weeks now and last night was the most interesting of all. pulled into the gas station to fill up. harley pulled up beside me and talked my ear off for fifteen minutes(30 year old) guy wanted to know everything about 's.
    pulled out of the station and followed a harley and a crotch rocket for ten miles. they kept turning around and looking back at my machine like they had never seen one before.
    stopped to grab a bite to eat and there were two crotch rockets in the parking lot with about 10 - 12 young guys talking with their buddies. when i parked they all left their friends and came over to the spyder.
    i think these guys will all wave. just gotta train themshow them that we're all bikers and spyderlovers are a breed all of their own. we wave to everyone!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

In my travels in central and northern NJ I find about 85-90% of all cruisers and touring bikes will wave if it is safe too. I do however only get about a 10-15% wave return rate from the crotch rockets. BTW- I also own a Harley Electra Glide Ultra Limited and ride with a club of mostly (80%) Harley riders and we always wave to everyone. It's just common courtesy to do so.
    Last edited by Tadgh45; 07-27-2012 at 09:16 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydaman60 View Post
    this question has probably already been asked, but for all us new riders, what percentage of "harley boys" acknowledge and greet all you spyderlovers when they meet you on the road?
    i'm curious!
    I live in northern California. In my experience, you never know what you are going to get from Harley riders. Came across a line of 3 one afternoon, first 2 did not acknowledge at all while the third guy was waving so hard and giving thumbs up that I thought he might drop his ride right there in the road. Another occassion I pulled up to a fairly rural light right next to a Harley. We were the only 2 in the intersection, I turned to say hi and he wouldn't even look at me.

Most of the time other riders return a wave no matter what they are riding. I figure we are all in the wind, doesn't matter how many wheels, or at which end they reside, if you wave I acknowledge you.

Very Happy Spyder Guy
    The 2015 F3 has over 46,000 miles
    Have Spyder...Will Travel

Spyder Garage

I'm an hour north of the York, PA Harley assembly plant..... lots of Harley riders around here. The vast majority low wave to me. Sometimes so many that I can't always wave back due to road conditions, or just too much attention to the traffic in front of me and don't pick up on the wave until they've passed by. I hate seeming unfriendly like that.

Spyder Garage

Cool

I'm in Kentucky and pretty much everyone waves. I have noticed with the Spyder that I have an inordinate number of people literally hanging out of car windows waving at me!

Spyder Garage

I live about an hour south of Milwaukee, the inner sactum of Harley Davidson. In my area I would say that about 5% of Harley riders will give me a wave. It varies for other bikers. Most trike riders will wave, most Goldwing riders will wave (I think because the front of the RT resembles the front of a Goldwing). I basically don't initiate a wave anymore. If they wave I'll acknowledge them.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Non wavers

Here in My area about the only non-wavers are the crotch-rocket riders. Too busy holding on, I guess.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Sny View Post
    But sometimes it's just not a good time to wave. Coming to a stop, up/down shifting, accelerating from a stop, hard cornering, junk on the road ahead, potholes.

Sometimes they're too slow to wave. I catch a lot of them starting to wave as they've passed me. Means I didn't wave soon enough or they were just slow to respond.

That rider in the other lane might be very busy as you go by and can't wave. I don't let that bother me. A head nod can be hard to see also unless you are pretty close. Ride on and assume the best.

Spyder Garage

I'm in Los Angeles, and in the city there are just too many people to waive to. In areas where I ride, about 2/3 of them do, and as I move out of the city, I'd say 4/5 is fairly accurate.

I do find it somewhat funny that we concern ourselves with other riders who have such a strikingly low self confidence that they are afraid it will diminish them in some way to return a friendly greeting. Personally, I just feel sorry for somebody like that.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

In this area, it's the low wave the majority of the time. We wave, if they wave back, that's fine. If not, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. When Bruiser and I would ride two-up, I would have conversations with the people in the car next to us - always interested in "WHAT" IT was, and all the typical questions that I'm sure we all get. Now ryding on my own, still get the looks, the questions etc., but it's a little more difficult to carry on a conversation!!