Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default "Windows Active Guard"

If you see anything named this on your computer, shut it down immediately and call your computer guy. It is a particularly nasty piece of rogue spyware that rides on multi-media files. Once it gets inside your system it keeps burrowing deeper & deeper....very nasty and difficult to get rid of.

Watch out for it, it looks totally legit, something from Internet Explorer, but it isn't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It killed my last 'puter a little over a year ago...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

zrc

If you want your computer to be safe, never go on the internet. Do like I do, snail mail letters to Lamont to post here and make him snail mail you back some printed copies of the results from the postings.

Joking, however, yes, many and lots of malware is out there stalking your PC. Assume everything is bad until it proves to be good.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

And keep your anti-fungal software up to date!

zrc

I dont run that stuff, I erase everything on my computers every 6 months regardless. paranoia abounds!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

If you don't know what it is do not click on it. If you are interested write down the information and then do a search on line about it.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Very good advice!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Get a MAC.

zrc

Quote Originally Posted by bcoulter19 View Post
    Get a MAC.

While it will be a sad day, the day is coming when iPads, iPhones, iPods and MACs are going to be the top dog in all the markets. Microsoft was always targetted because they were the largest most common platform, and hence, there was security in the obscurity of the MAC community. When you rise to the top of the heap, you garner other love.

I would love to believe that if / when that happens and the MAC community can dance in the streets as they have finally taken over, that they will continue to be the machine they have been, but the truth is that they will become the targets, and when that happens, bad things happen.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I got so sick of all the viruses on my PC that I finally bit the bullet and bought a Mac. I couldn't be more happy! I love the machine and the things it can do-and the speed is unbelievable. And...no virus!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by zrc View Post
    While it will be a sad day, the day is coming when iPads, iPhones, iPods and MACs are going to be the top dog in all the markets. Microsoft was always targetted because they were the largest most common platform, and hence, there was security in the obscurity of the MAC community. When you rise to the top of the heap, you garner other love.

I would love to believe that if / when that happens and the MAC community can dance in the streets as they have finally taken over, that they will continue to be the machine they have been, but the truth is that they will become the targets, and when that happens, bad things happen.

Why a sad day? It will also be a long time if ever imo before the mac desktop becomes top dog. Too many PC's to overcome.... Mac user since 1984.....
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Working in the IT field and using both Macs and Pc's I would have to agree!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

zrc

Quote Originally Posted by spyder3 View Post
    Why a sad day? It will also be a long time if ever imo before the mac desktop becomes top dog. Too many PC's to overcome.... Mac user since 1984.....

Desktops are dead! I havent worked on / with one at work or personally in 2 years. I do everything with a phone / laptop / tablet. The 1st and 3rd of that category are places macs are trying to take over, and doing well, when it happens the black hat will reorient to bring the hammer. But I have been a MAC repair certified technician since I was 16, in 1994 :P

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We use (work) Toughbooks. Yeah I know, they run MS sofware.

Spyder Garage

Desktops are dead! I havent worked on / with one at work or personally in 2 years. I do everything with a phone / laptop / tablet. The 1st and 3rd of that category are places macs are trying to take over, and doing well, when it happens the black hat will reorient to bring the hammer. But I have been a MAC repair certified technician since I was 16, in 1994 :P

agreed! i still use my desktop in my office, but use either my laptop or iPad on the road...They all sync up so its seamless.

New OS is out
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons