Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default This sure doesn't look like it was stolen to us...anyone had THIS problem before?

We sure got a surprise last night when some friends were looking at our Spyder. Cliff asked Ed where our license plate mounted, and he said "Right there on the rear fender under the light... . Where the is it??? The OK roads were a bit bumpy but this is ridiculous! Think BRP will reimburse us the $43.50 + shipping that the state of Florida says this will cost to replace? It was only 2 years old so it shouldn't have fallen apart yet! Haven't had this problem before. If we report it stolen & send a copy of the police report, we'll get it at N/C...if we can figure out HOW and WHERE to get it on our trip. 1-Spyder pictures 001.jpg

Spyder Garage

License plates breaking off are a common problem. Had it happen on one of the RS. I was riding behind so saw it happen and we retrieved the license plate.

Keep checking for loose or cracked plates.

Don't know what will happen with the reimburse.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Seen it happen before. Just keep riding without it---- you'll be fine if you get pulled over---- tell the cop the story... show your proof of registration and insurance..... shouldn't be a problem. BJT rode all the way from Michigan to California and back without his plate on because it fell off......

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Thinks out loud
    Spyder Garage

When you get the new one you might add a couple more holes and bolts. That may help?

Perhaps reporting it as stolen by - miles and miles of bad roads would work?
    Last edited by Jeriatric; 06-08-2012 at 05:20 PM.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Medal fatigue.,
    I thought only Jersey plates did that. I had two plates over the years do that, Luckily i caught it in time and added extra screws to keep them whole.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

You are not the first, and are unlikely the last. When you replace the plate, be sure to use the OEM supplied Scotch Dual Lock discs (BRP P/N 293740028) on the lower corners of the plate. Without these the plates vibrate much worse on an RS.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I would recomend reporting it lost or stolen to the Police on the off chance of it being in a "incident" and they come after you.
    Oldmanzues

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Had it happen on mmy RS,but my wife was behind me and saw it fall off and was able to pick it up off the road and I took it to DMV and got it replaced. I had a second plate{magee valley owners meet}on the bottom of license and caused too much vibration,the RS does not have enough back support for a second plate like my wife's RT.

Doru the Destroyer-Spyder Photo Investigator
    Spyder Garage

4 years and 8 plates....

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Angry

Been there / done that The BRP bolts were on the short side and even though I checked the bolts often it still fell off. I now have SS blots with nylon insert lock nuts plus several rows of velcro.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    4 years and 8 plates....
    For some reason, Doc, THAT doesn't surprise me with YOU ...would have thought it would be even more, come to think of it!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Lost mine after two months of riding I have an RS

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you to all of you for your helpful comments on keeping a replacement tag on ...now we just need to figure out how to GET the tag. We won't be home for quite awhile yet. And we don't even know where we are really going along the way. (Well, other than Albequerque, Durango and Eureka). Surely one of the LEO's on this site can furnish us with a "Get Out of Jail Card" in case Erags gets stopped before we get our new plate. Maybe I need to get Arntufun to send Nancy Grace our way...wonder if he knows where she went when she left his place.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

In 2 years...I'm on my 3rd plate....good thing...Texas charges $5 to replace the plate...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by docdoru View Post
    4 years and 8 plates....
    Yes... But Doc; How many were taken by the LEOs??

Re-imbursement for a lost plate?? (Sorry...)
    This is obviously an ongoing issue; the word needs to be spread so that GS/RS pilots nail them down better...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Everyone could try a cable tie backup.

Out of work Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Helmet law

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Seen it happen before. Just keep riding without it---- you'll be fine if you get pulled over---- tell the cop the story... show your proof of registration and insurance..... shouldn't be a problem. BJT rode all the way from Michigan to California and back without his plate on because it fell off......
    Firefly knows how to sweet talk LEO's ----Long time ago I was in Tennessee The Fly got pulled over and for the life of me I can't remember the out come-------but I"ll bet he talked his way out of a ticket.
    If you can't trust the Fly who can you trust.

Can't wait to go west.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, Erags went to the Amarillo PD and filed a report on our missing plate, like the FL tag office said to do. Now we have a police report number to give the FL folks...maybe we'll get a free replacement instead of $43.50+. The policeman said to just show the card with the report number on it if we got stopped before new tag catches up with us. He also told Erags to call back if we find our plate.... Can't imagine we'll need to pull the card out for THAT!