Spyder Garage

Default smoking spyder???

i have a 2009 rs se5

i have noticed for the last few months when i make a braking right hand turn i get a cloud of smoke coming from under my Tupperware ?

i removed and cleaned the air box right before spyderfest and installed a new filter there was some oil but from what i gather here in the forums its kinda a common thing

is this something i should take the bike in to the dealer or is this more normal than abnormal ??

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

It does sound like oil dripping from the airbox onto the exhaust pipe. Once oil finds its way out of the airbox, it gets into the split looms, on the frame, on the wires and cables...in short, all over. Cleaning the airbox thoroughly is a help, but this other oil can find its way out and drip onto the exhaust. I'd strip the tupperware and clean the airbox and everything else thoroughly. Feel around with your hand, and look at the wiring harnesses and such. If you can see or feel one drop of oil or see a shiny spot, there is more oil where that came from. Also be careful to check your oil level properly (at full operating temperature, preferably after a ride). The proper level is seen at full temp with the dipstick screwed in all the way. A level between the add and full marks works best to keep oil out of the airbox. Any level above the full mark will push oil rapidly.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

thought you were talking about me lol ha