Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by texasride View Post
    I have. 2010 rt never had a prob with canceling turn single just push the button in. All so most cars and truck when you Chang lanes they do self cancel. Seem to me just nick picking spyder and brp geeeee.
    It took me a while to get around to starting this thread because I am neither a nit picker or brp basher. Most owners agree this is a problem with clear safety implications that is overdue to be fixed. Workarounds help but I also am finding I use the turn signals less in order to avoid the problem.

It will be interesting to see if the problem still exists in 2013 RTs! Hope BRP is listening....
    Last edited by cjackg; 05-04-2012 at 04:40 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rcdurango View Post
    This is a problem that should be fixed. I do find myself looking down to see if I have turned off the signal after using it. Not good!
    What I have done on highways at highway speeds in most cases when just going around someone is used my hands as a way of
    letting drivers know. Not good I know but its safer than taking eyes off the road. LED is one thing that would help to see if there still
    on but one shouldn't have to think about that as hard as we do. Hope something comes up that will fix this.
    My BMW time or distance cancels I'm sure there is enough computer in there somewhere to handle that

Spyder Garage

I have had the same problem on my 2012.
    I found out that if you hold the button in for a few seconds they shut off.
    I have also made a lot of new friends by blowing my horn at them when I have heavy gloves on trying to shut them off. I get a lot of people to wave at me.
    mtbear

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We've got a site sponsor here with an indicator light that should help...
    http://www.bores1.com/
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've had the same problem and find myself often not using the turn signal to change lanes when the traffic's light. Just don't understand why it's such a problem to fix.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Had the same problem with our 2011 RT when first got it, but soon learned that if I push the button firmly and hold for just a second it works every time. Trying to just tap it like i did on my V-Star didnt work.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by flaggerphil View Post
    I've had the same problem and find myself often not using the turn signal to change lanes when the traffic's light. Just don't understand why it's such a problem to fix.
    Not a problem at all except when a LEO or Statey lights you up and writes you up because BRPs poorly thought out design has conditioned you to NOT SIGNAL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by tuck View Post
    Had the same problem with our 2011 RT when first got it, but soon learned that if I push the button firmly and hold for just a second it works every time. Trying to just tap it like i did on my V-Star didnt work.
    Yup me to...............lucky for me it acts exactly like my last 2 wheeler, Suzuki C50 Boulevard?

Spyder Garage

This seems to work for me, but I agree, it should be a bit simpler to operate.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

laugh out loud, i too blow the horn when i want the signal to turn off.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default BORES 1 ADVANCE TURNSIGNALS

I DISCOVERED THIS IN 2008 ON MY rs AND MADE THESE LIGHTS UP EASY INSTALL EASY FIX LAND LOOK GREAT
    Quote Originally Posted by cjackg View Post
    This is a seemingly minor Spyder RT defect that is usually considered just a picky complaint. My 2010 RT had the problem, but it is still the same on my new 2012 RT Ltd. The RT turn signals work just fine when you are turning corners and turn off as expected. but, when you are on an Interstate moving along at 70-75+ and make a lane change, no way will they turn off without precisely pushing the center button.

Without gloves, I can push that button straight and turn them off with one shot after a lane change, but... with gloves on I am lucky to get them off with less than 3 tries... in between the signal lights may go left--right--off-- etc before I can confirm they really did stop!

Now the real issue is that I can only confirm that they are off by looking down at the dash panel. This is where safety is the center issue. Moving your eyes down, off the hwy, at higher speeds is sure to have consequences. Riding on Interstate highways on a cycle is risky enough without having to look down (several times) at the dash to find out what signal you are sending to other drivers any time you change lanes. This whole thread was prompted by recently having a very close call due to another driver seeing the wrong signal.

I understand that the switch on the RS works much better... why is the RT so bad ?

This has all been documented many times, Why doesnt BRP fix it on the later model RTs ?

If any car signals worked like this, I believe there would be immediate action to resolve it. And, yes you can add aftermarket Leds to alert you about the signals but why are safety issues left to us?

I believe this matter is a serious Safety issue and hope that BRP is paying attention and will step up and fix it both in new models and for current RT owners.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Being the ole skool rider, I still give hand signals in the daylight hours and use the signals at night. So if it doesn't cancel, I know it. In todays distracted driving world, there is a lack of signal use anyways from most cagers, and is the reason I throw my arm out there for all to see. Could this be the reason it is called a self cancelling turn signal. ..I'm not putting everyone in the same catagory, but from what I saw at Spyderfest, we blow by most folks anyways, so the "optional"lane changing indicator would be irrelavent. And I would hope that we are looking into the mirror to see if the "optional"lane changing indicator is even an option. Besides most of the folks I saw in Cuba,Mo. had hands about 10 times bigger than the 1156 bulb camofluaged from the all mods.Which was pretty damn awesome if I might add..

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Schnauzer View Post
    Being the ole skool rider, I still give hand signals in the daylight hours and use the signals at night. So if it doesn't cancel, I know it. In todays distracted driving world, there is a lack of signal use anyways from most cagers, and is the reason I throw my arm out there for all to see. Could this be the reason it is called a self cancelling turn signal. ..I'm not putting everyone in the same catagory, but from what I saw at Spyderfest, we blow by most folks anyways, so the "optional"lane changing indicator would be irrelavent. And I would hope that we are looking into the mirror to see if the "optional"lane changing indicator is even an option. Besides most of the folks I saw in Cuba,Mo. had hands about 10 times bigger than the 1156 bulb camofluaged from the all mods.Which was pretty damn awesome if I might add..
    I saw several using hand signals @ Cuba too, but doubt if many drivers now know what they mean. I don't think it's being taught much now. Like the left lane being for passing only used to be taught, many drivers now use it all the time and keep traffic backed up.

Spyder Garage

After reading several posts about the turn signal not working as it should...going crazy when trying to cancel, I tried something and it works.
    First, I sprayed the inside with some contact spray. The left turn position seemed easy, but the right position felt really rough and restricted. I then sprayed the inside with an oil spray. Both left and right positions are now smooth as silk and the cancellation is just a slight push and "zingo"...cancelled.
    Last edited by Dudley; 05-06-2012 at 07:03 PM.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

muscle memory works great for me. I'm very cautious
    about cagers in our area. so I "try" to make certain the
    signals go on when when I push, and they go off when
    I push. and I use my convex spot mirrors and turn my
    head to make certain it's clear before moving into the
    next lane.

I've had a few close calls from cagers on cell phones or
    texting. one turd pulled out in front of me, and ended
    up in the same bank ATM line as me. so I asked him if
    made a habit of pulling out in front of bikes...? his
    response was "I didn't f#cking see you!!!"

before I pulled off from the ATM... he was well aware
    of what the frontend of a well lit Spyder looked like.
    even in the daylight... a broadside view of a Spyder
    with ALL of the lights on is, difficult to miss.

Spyder Garage
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Arr MiHardies View Post
    I have no problem. Just push straight in, not at an angle. Maybe it's just me.
    have never had a problem with it working as it's supposed to.

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yfactor View Post
    have never had a problem with it working as it's supposed to.
    same here.

Spyder Garage

We've got a site sponsor here with an indicator light that should help...
    http://www.bores1.com/
    That is exactly what I have considered doing. I just have not researched it to get parts as of yet. Thanks for the link.

I have also wondered if the standard bulbs for the factory indicators could be replaced with high intensity LEDs to make them more noticeable.

Fauquier County VA - Virginia's most carefully pronounced county.
    Spyder Garage

I agree. This is what I've learned on my 2012 RT Limited.
    2012 RT Limited , Full size brake peddel White w/Red Highlights

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mtbear View Post
    I have had the same problem on my 2012.
    I found out that if you hold the button in for a few seconds they shut off.
    I have also made a lot of new friends by blowing my horn at them when I have heavy gloves on trying to shut them off. I get a lot of people to wave at me.
    mtbear
    LMAO - I would have never admitted it (first, anyhow but) I also have found lots of new friends with the horn - same as you - looking for ANYTHING on that left handle and "beep."
    Last edited by Huntindawg1962; 05-07-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Spyder Garage

I have led lights around my mirrors so I know when the turn signals are on or off. They still drove me crazy mostly when I change lanes and use them they always seemed to turn on the opposite one when trying to cancel. Today I tried holding the button for a split second longer as recommended and it seems to work almost every time.

Thanks for the tip, still not perfect but better. Both of my Victory motorcycles have a lane change feature in the button, you just hold it for more than 2 seconds and when you release it turns off, great for lane changes and Canam could sure use this idea.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Had the this problem solved last year but it came back, so I did the same this I did last year. I sprayed some contact cleaner it the switch. It is working just fine now.

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Alberts46 View Post
    I have led lights around my mirrors so I know when the turn signals are on or off. They still drove me crazy mostly when I change lanes and use them they always seemed to turn on the opposite one when trying to cancel. Today I tried holding the button for a split second longer as recommended and it seems to work almost every time.

Thanks for the tip, still not perfect but better. Both of my Victory motorcycles have a lane change feature in the button, you just hold it for more than 2 seconds and when you release it turns off, great for lane changes and Canam could sure use this idea.
    I have been holding the button in the center for a long second lately and that does make a difference most of the time. Its a help along with the LEDs I added to alert me when it doesnt cancel. I still hope that BRP will improve this at some point.

Spyder Garage

Default IT IS NOT BROKE

I have a 2010 RT-S and have very little problem with the turn signal switch. Takes some time to get the feel for it.
    I don't believe it is broke as most are suggesting so BRP would not be inclined to fix it. That being said I believe there is plenty of room for improvement with this switch and brighter indicator lights would be a step forward.