Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Corbin modular seat for RS

Weather is real grottie today and this morning the Fed-Ex truck delivered my new Corbin modular seat and backrests.
    GF is away for a couple of days so I'll be in the Spyderhaus for some fun and wrenches.....all visitors are welcome.

Spyder Garage

The installation is pretty easy--but make sure you put a towel under and around where you are working to catch those bolts and nuts that want to jump off and go into the chassis of the

After two seats, two fairings, and two trunk bags--I have experienced the situation.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rayelljay View Post
    Weather is real grottie today and this morning the Fed-Ex truck delivered my new Corbin modular seat and backrests.
    GF is away for a couple of days so I'll be in the Spyderhaus for some fun and wrenches.....all visitors are welcome.
    Good luck with the install! My two best seat-replacement tips are 1) realize that the underseat piston arm pops right out at the ball in a few seconds (i.e., DON'T try to unscrew the whole assembly like I tried to do.... grrrr) and 2) it helps to have a second pair of hands to hold the seat when you do the final connection at the seat's pivot point.

Be sure to share pics when you're done!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well, it's about 75% done but one "problem"......

Got the old seat off and all cleared off. Corbin says to reinstall the seat prop cylinder but there's no place to mount it to the seat....instead it has a swing down prop....I can live with that...!
    Mounted the front seat and the hold down bolts just snugged up. Come to engage the latch and to do so forces the front part of the front seat about 1/2" to the right before the latch will engage....don't like that 'cos I got the seat with the spider web stitching and the point at which all the stitching lines converge at the front is in the center of the seat.

Anyone else experienced this and got a decent workaround.

Could I even dispense with the front latch by removing the Corbin latch pin and let gravity do it's thing.....?

GOS member (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

Can't wait to see photos & hear how the rest of the install goes. I ordered my Corbin seat last week.
    How long did it take for you to get your seat?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My wait time was about four weeks.

As far as the install goes just follow the instructions...they're pretty good.
    I would have done things a little differently....when you free the end of the seat hold-up cylinder, prop up the seat and disconnect the passenger seat interface plug to avoid overstressing the wire and plug.

The tail cover removal is pretty painless......first remove the Torx fastener which is accessible from under the tail and above the rear tyre and you can move the plastic around enough to see where the four clips are. You only need to tweak the clips very slightly to disengage one side...when one side is disengaged you can massage the whole tail cap to disengage the other side.

There are instructions on reusing the original seat prop cylinder which were a little confusing. Mine came with a swing down prop and no facility for reusing the original seat prop so at this stage I'm not using the original.

One MUST HAVE..... a set of metric ratchet wrenches that boast minimal swing...it gets tight in there and a conventional ratchet and socket won't do it.
    You'll need an 18" length of broomstick to prop the standard seat up so you can work in the clear beneath it.

With appropriate tools the whole install should take about an hour.

My problem right now is an apparent mismatch between the Spyder front seat latch and the front seat latch pin. Corbin's installed front seat latch pin will not allow the front seat to sit where it needs to be......to latch mine the seat front is forced about 9/16 to the right so for the time being the latch pin is coming out 'til I can come up with a fix.
    I need to contact Corbin for their advice and see if posters here have any ideas.
    Don't be scared of this install......you can get good eyes on what you need.

Spyder Garage

I took the pin off as most did with there Corbin seats . On my seat there is no provision to reuse the piston but there is a lever with a rubber wheel that flips down to hold the seat up .
    Happy Owner

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Well, 'tis all done and looks acceptable.
    Not first class mind you but that's just me.
    The problem with the front latch pin is temporarily fixed......took pin out.
    As I stepped out of Spyderhaus I glanced at Borys and noticed that with all the seat hold-down bolts fully tightened, the front of the front seat appears twisted.
    I'm hoping that seat time will help to get the seat to conform better to the frame.
    Tomorrow I think I'll do some tweaking based upon techniques learned at Ghana University and shim up one end of the front seat anchor plate with some washers.
    I'm thinking, too, of a wooden rig with an offset weight to help un-twist it....that way I can have a full time load in action. Maybe then the front latch pin will align.
    For some installers it may be plug and play depending on the individual seat......mine wasn't quite there but presented nothing insurmountable.
    Tomorrow will be Riser, mirror extension and Kuryakin grips install day......maybe.

Spyder Garage

I finally got my front seat & smuggler trunk. It took about eight weeks from ordering to delivery.

Both were well packed & protected. Both the seat & trunk were both nicely finished.
    My husband installed both last night. Took him about 1-2hrs. Unfortunately, we also had the problem where the seat twists to the right when it is latched. The fuel door also has a bit of a gap between it and the spyder panel. So, those two things kind of annoy me - but, I'm hoping the seat twist improves & I can live with it.

It also took my husband some effort to get the smuggler to latch in. He had to tweak the little insert in order for it to lock in.

Today's weather stinks - so, no test ride until tomorrow.

Oh, and I passed my 5K miles yesterday, too - all on the stock seat!

Spyder Garage

I hope you have better luck than I did with the Corbin seat. I have the smugglers trunk and seat from Corbin but the dang
    seat never was comfortable for me I did not want to give up the smugglers trunk so I am shipping my Corbin seat off to Russell Day Long(June production date) to have it modified. I love the look of the Corbin set up and the trunk is just right for keys, phones, iPad, tools and maps. I've had it for 7,000 miles and it just was not a seat for me. I have had other Corbin seats on my 2 wheel bike and they were perfect for me and so I was really surprised at how this one turned out. But it sure looks sweet on my Spydee

Spyder Garage

xraypat - what didn't you like about the seat?
    The back rest on the smuggler hits me in the wrong place on my back. But, I haven't had a chance to take it out for a test ride yet. I don't want to make any judgement until I get out and ride.
    The seat seemed pretty comfy - I requested the Lamonster cut because the one time I sat on a regular Corbin seat on a Spyder I felt way to forward. With this cut - you sit in the seat (not on) and back from the console.

Spyder Garage

I got my Corbin before I ever heard of the Lamonster cut. I feel the same way you mentioned like I am being pushed forward. I read a lot about the different seats and I decided on the RDL. There were a bunch of good reviews. I plan on taking Spydee on longer trips this summer (well at least longer for me-200 miles or so) and I want to feel comfortable for the whole ride. I am having the RDL made so I also sit in the seat as well. I think that may be the reason that the back rest is a bit uncomfortable because of how you are positioned in the seat(it has never been an issue with me- however that may change once I get the seat back.)

Spyder Garage

Default how much

did you folks pay for corbin seats that don't fit right ? ? ? i would be seriously P O ' D
    it was fun while it lasted.