Spyder Garage

Default Side Trip for Durango?

Last year while on my epic 8001.5 mile camping journey covering 15 states over three weeks, I met an interesting couple. I was seeking some of the ghost towns in NV in a somewhat a remote area, where I met them.

I contacted them through their blog http://ourfourwheelcamper.org to see if they knew of any interesting places I might visit while in CO for the BRP Owner's event? There was a link there he sent about the Alpine Loop. http://www.alpineloop.com/HTML/index.html
    Also, it was suggested taking the historic train to Silverton. www.durangotrain.com
    I may only have time to do the Alpine Loop as a photo op side trip as I may be out there an extra day or so? My friends the Johnsons, do a lot of out of the way, back country, remote traveling and camping out West. I wish we had some of the interesting remote type areas here on this side of the US to explore.

If anyone has some insights on the Alpine Loop, let me know?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Were you planning on taking the Spyder on the Alpine Loop? I just read that it requires a high clearance 4=wheel drive vehicle. Have you checked out the Million Dollar Highway?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

I agree with the above. The Alpine Loop is more for hiking and biking and not spyder riding. The million dollar highway was a really good ride the last time I took it on a two wheeler..

Spyder Garage

Roads like the Alpine Loop are the primary reason I'm attending the owners' event with a dual sport bike rather than my Spyder. There are lots of areas for off road riding, some good smooth gravel and some considerably more challenging.
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Spyder no. I would be driving the loop in my Tundra 4x4 as I was doing last Summer.
    I'll also look into the Million Dollar Highway, thanks!

Last Summer I drove from Pahrump to Indian Springs, NV via the Wheeler Pass Road. "Bucket List" item.
    I met a BLM officer near Indian Springs and he told me the part I had just driven down he had gone up that section a month earlier and shredded a set of BF Goodrich tires in his Power Wagon.
    Yea, it was fun coming down in low range, first gear tapping the brakes. Yeehaw!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dancogan View Post
    Roads like the Alpine Loop are the primary reason I'm attending the owners' event with a dual sport bike rather than my Spyder. There are lots of areas for off road riding, some good smooth gravel and some considerably more challenging.
    You're lucky Dan you have a toy for all situations! Are you trailering both bikes out there? I can't imagine you there without your Spyder.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default durango

If'n ya are pressed for time, , ride north of durango, to silverton, (over million dollar hwy) to ouray, to ridgway, to telluride, about a 200 mi round trip, fantastic scenery ya'll never forget!!

Spyder Garage

Default durango

Quote Originally Posted by Cavman View Post
    Last year while on my epic 8001.5 mile camping journey covering 15 states over three weeks, I met an interesting couple. I was seeking some of the ghost towns in NV in a somewhat a remote area, where I met them.

I contacted them through their blog http://ourfourwheelcamper.org to see if they knew of any interesting places I might visit while in CO for the BRP Owner's event? There was a link there he sent about the Alpine Loop. http://www.alpineloop.com/HTML/index.html
    Also, it was suggested taking the historic train to Silverton. www.durangotrain.com
    I may only have time to do the Alpine Loop as a photo op side trip as I may be out there an extra day or so? My friends the Johnsons, do a lot of out of the way, back country, remote traveling and camping out West. I wish we had some of the interesting remote type areas here on this side of the US to explore.

If anyone has some insights on the Alpine Loop, let me know?
    Cavman, if'n ya are pressed for time, ride north of durango, to silverton, (over the million dollar hwy.) to ouray , then to ridgway, & then over dallas divide to telluride!!!,, about 200 mi round trip, & fantastic scenery, you'll never forget!!!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    You're lucky Dan you have a toy for all situations! Are you trailering both bikes out there? I can't imagine you there without your Spyder.
    There will be times I will be wishing for the Spyder, but the trailer only has room for one bike. At least as 2-wheelers go, it's very comfortable.
    Dan

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm going to be detouring through CO on my way back from SpyderFest and will be taking a crack at the High Altitude Member Patch. Take a look at www.ccriders.org/ham

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

I had wanted to see the Grand Canyon while there, but it looks like 4 hours one way. I will be interested in the Million Dollar Highway though.

Spyder Garage

That High Altitude Member Patch might be a thing to look into. I went up Pikes Peak twice last year. Got a couple Geocaches logged too. Also had a problem with altitude sickness.