Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Wimpy Winter"

Spyder Garage

Speaking of wimpy winters, at least the timing for me worked out really well today. The dealer called Friday to say they had finished the 12K service. ($840+ but more about that in a second.) I picked the bike up at noon, just as the sun was breaking through the morning cloud cover and rode the 35 miles home with a big smile on my face. The Gerbings was hooked up but I never needed it. Used the grip warmers some, but turned them off before I got home. The temp was in the low 40's, and there's something about a sunny day that makes it feel at least 10 degrees warmer. Glad to get a riding fix today!

When we bought Spyder we also bought a service contract, for 3 years. Cost was $699. So far it has included the 600 mile, 6K mile and 12K mile service. When I saw the charge of over $800 for the 12K service, and was able to walk out without paying a penny, I was real happy about that contract.

More riding tomorrow!!!
    Dan

Spyder Garage

Default Wimpy Weather

Back in the old days! I lived in Niles, Michigan, that's snow belt country in southwest Michigan. I was a steelhead fisherman, and liked to fish at the dam near Berrian Springs on the Saint Joseph River. One year we had over one hundred and forty inches of snow, it started just after Halloween and didn't end until Easter. The next year, I fished in my shirt sleeves all night long on the river in the dead of winter.

Last year, here in Florida, we had a killing frost before New Years Eve. This year, I rode on New Years Day in high 70 degree blue bird weather.

I was going to ride south to Clewiston to see my brother and his wife and sister and her husband, RVing from up north. Put the trip off due to threat of wind and rain. does fine in wind and wet, Hogs, not so much, maybe this coming week will be better.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Yeochief View Post
    Back in the old days! I lived in Niles, Michigan, that's snow belt country in southwest Michigan. I was a steelhead fisherman, and liked to fish at the dam near Berrian Springs on the Saint Joseph River. One year we had over one hundred and forty inches of snow, it started just after Halloween and didn't end until Easter. The next year, I fished in my shirt sleeves all night long on the river in the dead of winter.

Last year, here in Florida, we had a killing frost before New Years Eve. This year, I rode on New Years Day in high 70 degree blue bird weather.

I was going to ride south to Clewiston to see my brother and his wife and sister and her husband, RVing from up north. Put the trip off due to threat of wind and rain. does fine in wind and wet, Hogs, not so much, maybe this coming week will be better.

Yeah-- winter is nothing like that in Michigan anymore. The snow used to come and STAY... now it's only here for a week then gone it seems.... then back. We've had some ice storms in the past that were nasty too-- but nothing like the massive storms of the late 60's and 70's. 79 was bad I think....

Spyder #1 - 2008 GS SM5 Premier Edition #1977. RIP after 80,000 miles.
    Spyder #2 - 2012 RT SM5. Traded in after 24,000 miles.
    Spyder #3 - 2015 F3 SM6. Put 13,000 miles on and sold it.
    Spyder #4 - 2017 F3 SM6. Too good of a deal to pass up!

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Yeah-- winter is nothing like that in Michigan anymore. The snow used to come and STAY... now it's only here for a week then gone it seems.... then back. We've had some ice storms in the past that were nasty too-- but nothing like the massive storms of the late 60's and 70's. 79 was bad I think....
    That was probably back in the days when you used to walk ten miles to school...in your bare feet...uphill both ways. Actually in the past few years before this insanely warm one, we had plenty of cold and snow. We have had several of the coldest winters on record in the last 5-10 years, and last year or the year before we had ten feet of snow in Battle Creek...and that was less than a couple of previous years. Several months have set snowfall records recently. The weather has been less extreme, but overall it is fairly typical for Michigan...until now. Maybe you weren't shoveling enough in the past few years for it to sink in.

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders)
    Spyder Garage

My peach trees are starting to bloom...ash trees budding....apples are budding....I sure hope winter is over for us.....south of Houston

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default The Wimp has Went!

We had an all time record in the bag for the least amount of snow in February....something like .3"! But that's out the window now as there's a winter storm warning starting at noon today till 6pm tomorrow....6" - 12" of snow & sleet with ice accretions (what happened to the word accumulation ) of 1/4".

Would have liked to break that record....oh well, guess I'll go hook the plow up....plowing's fun too!