Thread: hitch carrier

Spyder Garage

Default hitch carrier

I am wanting to install a hitch on my Rt but i would like to use it for a platform carrier so i can haul luggage, at this time trailer is not an option

so has anyone had luck trying this and what if any where the problems i am attaching the hitch i plan on using & the carrier for reference.
    Thanks in advance
    Greg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2018 f3t , red

RT-S PE#0031
    Spyder Garage

The problem I see is that that type of carrier is designed for a body mounted hitch rather than a wheel mounted hitch. As I'm sure you can imagine, the carrier and luggage would bounce with every imperfection of the road. Could create accelerated metal fatigue and failure. I would also hate to see the results on the luggage contents if they are fragile in the least.

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

I use one of these and agree partially with Mark. They do move up and down with the movement of the swing arm. However, typically not violent enough to cause problems. Biggest problem is that your luggage is exposed to the elements, but for a short overnight trip (say to a local Winery!) it works well.

You could click on my SteveMac Mods link in my signature line to see the various things I have done with this carrier.

Just be sure you know how much weight you are putting on there and try to stay within the 40 pound limit. You get to 40 pounds quicker than you think.

Edit, and a follow up, the dual square tube receivers and pins are going to make a nice mounting base for a custom flag mount I am going to build for use at Spyderfest!

One other note. Be sure to use a hard side tote for your clothing. A low profile unit with clasps can be purchased at Walmart for about $25. This will allow you to use 1" ratchet straps to securely fasten your tote. I used soft side luggage on one trip and I had to constantly adjust it. With the hard side tote, I could strap it in and forget it.

My photo album also has a Wisconsin trip photo group with a hard side addition I mocked up last summer. It worked great.
    Last edited by SteveMac; 02-02-2012 at 07:22 PM.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Be aware of the tongue weight limitation on the Spyder, which is a maximum of 40 pounds (measured at the ball). Real easy to put more than than this on the platform, not to mention the weight of the platform itself. Be careful!

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Be aware of the tongue weight limitation on the Spyder, which is a maximum of 40 pounds (measured at the ball). Real easy to put more than than this on the platform, not to mention the weight of the platform itself. Be careful!
    I agree with Scotty. Weigh the unit while it is attached to your tote. I used this for a while, and I'll use it again for short overnight trips, or a quick run to the golf course. Originally I didn't want a trailer either, but I now have one for longer trips such as the Durango trip!!!

I have now realized how good a trailer can be for traveling. ::

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by springcrawler View Post
    I am wanting to install a hitch on my Rt but i would like to use it for a platform carrier so i can haul luggage, at this time trailer is not an option

so has anyone had luck trying this and what if any where the problems i am attaching the hitch i plan on using & the carrier for reference.
    Thanks in advance
    Greg
    I have this setup on my RT hitch and have used it a number of times to carry a small overnight bag instead of hauling a trailer. It works for me when I do not want to tow my trailer.

As others have said, just be sure you limit the weight of your cargo to under 40 lbs and secure your cargo well because it will bounce around a bit on rough roads.

Spyder Garage

wow thanks for all the responses i can see i may have to rethink my idea i guess the hitch is ok?? not the platform i was going to use??

greg
    2018 f3t , red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

wow thanks for all the responses i can see i may have to rethink my idea i guess the hitch is ok?? not the platform i was going to use??

greg
    Greg, both hitch and platform illustrated in your original post are .

With this set up, I have driven many miles at all speed levels and weather conditions without issue. Just make sure that 1) you have a fail safe method of securing your cargo to the carrier 2) the load does not obscure your rear lights and finally, again, 3) keep your weight down.(< 40 lbs.) If you follow these basic guidelines you should be good to go.

Greg, this is my input based on personal experience with the Spyder RT factory trailer hitch and the Rivco platform set up. I also used this same set up for years on my Goldwing GL1800 without a problem. Your idea is a viable alternative for extra carrying capacity on your Spyder without resorting to towing a trailer.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Hitch

Thanks in advance
    Greg
    If you go up Rivco and look up flag carriers, the part that is attached to the hitch for multiple flags is very similiar to your lower picture depicting the rack and attaching Hitch Haul. Rivco points out that their attachment is not intended for unsprung hitches, ie Can Am. When I display flag in a group ride, someone invariably tells me the flag hops up and down a lot with each bump the rear tire encounters. It would be nice to find a way to frame mount a hitch because in my humble opinion the jolts the way it is presently mounted is unacceptable.
    You might want to follow and watch the rear of an RT with a hitch to see how much and how violent it moves.