Thread: Battery Tender

Spyder Garage

Default Battery Tender

I bought a Battery Tender for my 2012 RT-S, due to all the electronics on the Spyder, are there any concerns in disconnecting the battery cables in order to install the quick connect cable. What should I expect when I reconnect the battery cables in terms of display messages etc.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by LarBear4442 View Post
    I bought a Battery Tender for my 2012 RT-S, due to all the electronics on the Spyder, are there any concerns in disconnecting the battery cables in order to install the quick connect cable. What should I expect when I reconnect the battery cables in terms of display messages etc.
    Yes, DON'T loosen the negative jumper bolt under the seat.
    Or you'll be asking how do i get that bolt tight.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just plug the 'Tender into the 12 volt socket in the trunk and your will be kept full of electricity for the duration of the Winter layup...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was concerned about the same thing -- figured I'd be resetting all my input values for preferences, air suspension, etc. To my pleasant surprise, all the memory was still there and nothing was lost. Just hook the battery back up and check all your settings and clock to be sure but you should be fine. At worst, you'll have to reset the clock with current time.

RT and Gold Wing States & Provinces

MOgang Member & Monster Member

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Just plug the 'Tender into the 12 volt socket in the trunk and your will be kept full of electricity for the duration of the Winter layup...
    Agree!!!!!!!

Just use the power outlet. If your tender didn't come with one, Amazon dot com has a bazzillion.

The only thing I would do to the posts on the battery is make darn sure the cables are tight. Other than that, leave em alone.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Couldn't agree more. I put the quick connect rings on my mower. The 12v connector goes into my power outlet in the trunk between rides. I bought the plug online, then promptly ran over it, so I bought a replacement end from Radio Shack. if you don't have another use for either the mini jumper clips or the ring ends, you can cut them off and use the replacement head. It has spring-loaded terminals, so you don't even need to solder. In use since September, but I used the 'lift the seat' method for a year before I read on here about the plug option.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default One question?

I just started doing that, plug the bat. tender into truck and let it charge. But one question I have, it continues to charge according to the bat. tender it flashes green and red. Unlike on other things i've used it on where when it is fully charged it just goes to green light. Why is this light flasing and continuing to charge?

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rcdurango View Post
    I just started doing that, plug the bat. tender into truck and let it charge. But one question I have, it continues to charge according to the bat. tender it flashes green and red. Unlike on other things i've used it on where when it is fully charged it just goes to green light. Why is this light flasing and continuing to charge?
    Which charger are you using? And is the red on steady or it it flashing, Some Chargers the red light stays on to tell that it's properly connected, A Blinking red light usually means a bad hook up or a bad battery.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Battery Tender

Quote Originally Posted by rcdurango View Post
    On Battery tender when initially plugged in should go directly to a steady red light (battery charging) Any red light flashing at this time indicates a problem usually being a reverse polarity condition but also other problem such as a dead cell in battery could cause a variation of green/red flashing, After steady red of charging time will vary based on condition of battery then go to flashing green lite (80% charged) steady green indicates fully charged and in monitoring mode....

Freebob...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    Which charger are you using? And is the red on steady or it it flashing, Some Chargers the red light stays on to tell that it's properly connected, A Blinking red light usually means a bad hook up or a bad battery.
    I have the bat. tender plus. the red light is solid while the green light flashes. On other bat. like my dunebuggy once the bat. is charged it goes to green and stays there until needed.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by freebob View Post
    On Battery tender when initially plugged in should go directly to a steady red light (battery charging) Any red light flashing at this time indicates a problem usually being a reverse polarity condition but also other problem such as a dead cell in battery could cause a variation of green/red flashing, After steady red of charging time will vary based on condition of battery then go to flashing green lite (80% charged) steady green indicates fully charged and in monitoring mode....

Freebob...
    totally agree, maybe I need to leave it on longer. I share bat. tender with the dunebuggy. So, Maybe I need to leave it on longer.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Like Bob says...easy. I plug BR1 in when I finish riding. Works great and takes 1.4 seconds to hook up, less if the trunk is open....