Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RT Limited - CB and Intercom Help needed

We purchased a 2012 RT Limmited on Friday and hope to take delivery of it very soon. We have been riding GL1800 Hannigan trikes for several years now. While we love our Hannigans, we are excited about our new Spyder and getting to know some of you guys.

The dealer was unable to provide us with clear answers to a few of our questions relating to the RT Limited's sound system. I figured this forum would be the best source for straight talk and answers based upon actual use. I would like to thank everyone in advance for any assistance they may provide. Here are my questions.

1. We would like to continue to use our Nolan helmets that we love. They are fitted with J&M Elite headsets and work perfectly for us. Am I correct that all we will need to do is purchase new lower cords from J&M to be able to use then on the RT Limited?

2. The RT Linitted comes equiped with a Zumo. I'm sure we will be able to play MP3 digital files on the Zumo and hear them through the headsets. Is this correct?

3. Can I add the XM receiver and antenna to the Zumo? I have done this will my Zumo 550 on the GL1800 and really like it.

4. What will we need to do if we want to have a working intercom?

5. What will we need to do to have a working CB?

6. Could we have a working intercom without adding a CB?

Sorry to start off with so many questions.

Oh, by the way, my name is JV and I live on Cedar Creek Lake in East Texas with my better half - Tammy.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

J V

Spyder Garage

Just wanted to say and on your new purchase. You'll get plenty of help on this site.
    I don't have a RT .... yet......so I'm not the one to help with your questions.

....and we're gonna ride, we're gonna ride.....

ride like the one-eyed Jack of Diamonds, with
    the devil close behind,.....we're gonna ride....

2008 GS.....PE # 2888

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

BRP does not offer the intercom without the CB.

Spyder Garage

JV- welcome!! You'll find loads of help here. Scotty (Nancy's Toys) is one of the best.

I don't have the CB or wired headsets (ours is Bluetooth) so I'm no help with your core questions. Sorry

I'm in Tyler. Feel free to email me. Would love to meet up.

Sent from my iPhone7 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Phil; 12-10-2011 at 10:47 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Heck, we are allmost neighbors! I'm in Athens every day and from there it's only 32 miles to Tyler.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    JV- welcome!! You'll find loads of help here. Scotty (Nancy's Toys) said it all.

I'm in Tyler. Feel free to email me. Would love to meet up.

Teddys favorite human
    Spyder Garage

Thumbs up Welcome to the SpYderHood

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thank you!

So, do I just need to buy the CB to have CB & Intercom?

How about XM? Can it be added to the Zumo?

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    BRP does not offer the intercom without the CB.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by McLure View Post
    Heck, we are allmost neighbors! I'm in Athens every day and from there it's only 32 miles to Tyler.
    Hollar at me! Lunch or coffee on me! Genesis@genesisworld.com
    We now return you the this thread...

reggystan

Hi JV, congrats on the new RT. coincidence that your asking all these questions because today we were working on an RT that had all the features your asking for. He came from a goldwing also and he said the CB com system allows him to do all the functions your listing here. He had the wired headset attached to his helmet and also for his wife from J&M. Streams music, GPS etc... I don't know all the other details because it is something I'm looking into it also. Neat features! Good luck with your new RT

We purchased a 2012 RT Limmited on Friday and hope to take delivery of it very soon. We have been riding GL1800 Hannigan trikes for several years now. While we love our Hannigans, we are excited about our new Spyder and getting to know some of you guys.

The dealer was unable to provide us with clear answers to a few of our questions relating to the RT Limited's sound system. I figured this forum would be the best source for straight talk and answers based upon actual use. I would like to thank everyone in advance for any assistance they may provide. Here are my questions.

1. We would like to continue to use our Nolan helmets that we love. They are fitted with J&M Elite headsets and work perfectly for us. Am I correct that all we will need to do is purchase new lower cords from J&M to be able to use then on the RT Limited?

2. The RT Linitted comes equiped with a Zumo. I'm sure we will be able to play MP3 digital files on the Zumo and hear them through the headsets. Is this correct?

3. Can I add the XM receiver and antenna to the Zumo? I have done this will my Zumo 550 on the GL1800 and really like it.

4. What will we need to do if we want to have a working intercom?

5. What will we need to do to have a working CB?

6. Could we have a working intercom without adding a CB?

Sorry to start off with so many questions.

Oh, by the way, my name is JV and I live on Cedar Creek Lake in East Texas with my better half - Tammy.

J V

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Thank you!

So, do I just need to buy the CB to have CB & Intercom?

How about XM? Can it be added to the Zumo?
    Yes, unless you purchase an aftermarket system. There are both wired and wireless choices. Not sure which units will adapt to your existing helmets, though. You also need the Entertainment Harness for the CB/Comm System installation.

Spyder Garage

You are right about the Nolan's plugging into the RT. All you will need to change is the lower cord. The RT uses the same lower cord as the Victory Vision. I use the Nolan J&M combo and it works. However, I do find the system to be very noisy. Lot's of cracks and pops, even while simply riding and not fooling around with anything. I've played with the adjustments, and found that turning the volume down to the point that I can just barely hear my wife is about the best we can do.

Don't take this wrong, we love our Spyder and wouldn't trade it for anything, but the CB/Intercom needs to be improved, as does the Zumo interface through the helmets.

Mike

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default questions and research

I will be visiting the Fredricksburg Tx area this winter helping at the Amish Wharehouse on Main St and riding my spyder2011 Limited. I have been trying for months to find something that works. I did buy a set up for $120 buck on the internet but learned the same lesson again you get what you pay for. The local HD dealer says that the Scala is something alot of their customers use and they work well (about $300) or I have heard JT works . I'm looking for blue tooth and be able to answer my cell phone because of work issues . I have not found anything yet but I will keep looking. And post this when I find it because it seems to be an elusive question.

Spyder Garage

QUOTE=McLure We purchased a 2012 RT Limmited on Friday and hope to take delivery of it very soon. We have been riding GL1800 Hannigan trikes for several years now. While we love our Hannigans, we are excited about our new Spyder and getting to know some of you guys.

All of the below refer to the OEM sound system. There are other aftermarket systems that may or may not have other options

1. We would like to continue to use our Nolan helmets that we love. They are fitted with J&M Elite headsets and work perfectly for us. Am I correct that all we will need to do is purchase new lower cords from J&M to be able to use then on the RT Limited? YES, You are correct

2. The RT Linitted comes equiped with a Zumo. I'm sure we will be able to play MP3 digital files on the Zumo and hear them through the headsets. Is this correct?Yes, you will. Be advised that the Zumo takes priority over the Intercom. As long as you run the MP3 through your Zumo, the Intercom cuts out and you won't hear your passenger. This I know for a fact. I believe the Zumo also has priority over the CB, so as long as you run MP3 (or any sound) from the Zumo, that is all you will hear.

3. Can I add the XM receiver and antenna to the Zumo? I have done this will my Zumo 550 on the GL1800 and really like it. Yes you can, but again you have the same caveat as #2 above. I believe you can add XM radio to the Entertainment Harness which will give it a standard priority that will allow the intercom and CB to operate correctly, and then the Zumo will only override those functions when it gives verbal instructions.

4. What will we need to do if we want to have a working intercom? You will need to buy the CB radio and the Entertainment harness, as well as new lower cords for your J&M systems. The CB is required for the intercom system.

5. What will we need to do to have a working CB? Same as #4

6. Could we have a working intercom without adding a CB? No

Sorry to start off with so many questions. The only stupid question is the one that isn't asked.

J V

Thereis now available a Cell Phone interface that works through the Zumo Bluetooth. When using this, the Cell Phone has the absolute highest priority, so when you are on a call you won't be able to hear the instructions from the Zumo. I have a 2010 and it doesn't work on a 2010, so I don't know if you and your passenger can both talk on the cell phone at the same time, like a speaker phone.

Hope this helps. Good luck, an keep us posted so we know how you made out.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

Default 2012 RT Limited

J V,
    We have a 2010 RT-S with the BRP CB/intercom/XM module (not activated)/ Zumo 660 GPS. I've found that the owners manual and several threads about the CB and its settings have been very helpful. Big Red 1 posted some responses on threads about CB's which have been very useful. It's my understanding that the BRP CB/intercom system will only work with that particular headset, not with the J&M. I live in Tyler, when you receive your 2012 send me a PM and I will ride over and we can compare notes on the settings of the CB.
    Sincerely,
    Reese Cantrell

Spyder Garage

I looked at several options and went with the CB for my 2011 LTD. with what ThreeWheels said in his post. He pretty much nailed it with his answers. The XM option can be added to the entertainment harness so you can control it from the RECC. The intercom and CB will both take priority over it as it does for the radio.

and on your new purchase. This site is the best place to get good information on your ryde...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rcantrell52 View Post
    J V,
    We have a 2010 RT-S with the BRP CB/intercom/XM module (not activated)/ Zumo 660 GPS. I've found that the owners manual and several threads about the CB and its settings have been very helpful. Big Red 1 posted some responses on threads about CB's which have been very useful. It's my understanding that the BRP CB/intercom system will only work with that particular headset, not with the J&M. I live in Tyler, when you receive your 2012 send me a PM and I will ride over and we can compare notes on the settings of the CB.
    Sincerely,
    Reese Cantrell
    I have a 2010 AC with the J&M 629 headset and both cb and intercom work great.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

The lower cord you need is the J&M for the Victory Vision, it's compatible with the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

I used my old helmets from my Gold Wing w/ J&M headsets for several months by just changing to the Vision lower cords no problem.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=41.614572,-83.368153
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    SpyderPhyl

2014 Cognac RT-LTD, SE6, ACE 1330

2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac