Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Ride Forrest Ride!
    Spyder Garage

SCOTTY...... What about the TB module?? It is my understanding that the module is the culpurt in faiing TB.. However, my first failure was due to the butterfly locking in. the second, not too sure but high suspect of Module..

Any inside wisdom to this ???

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post
    SCOTTY...... What about the TB module?? It is my understanding that the module is the culpurt in faiing TB.. However, my first failure was due to the butterfly locking in. the second, not too sure but high suspect of Module..

I don't know a throttle body from a carburetor but when mine went south they told me it was the throttle position sensor. That is a smaller, much less expensive part of the entire throttle body. However, since the sensor was not available at the time they replaced the entire throttle body. FWIW
    Dan

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by effgjamis View Post

If by module, you mean either the position sensor or the positioner, it is my understanding that the positioner is the part that was failing on the 2011s. I can't speak to any other failures. There have been some mechanical failures, but I don't have any details on what failed. exactly. I could guess, but I'd rather not say.
    Last edited by NancysToy; 12-15-2011 at 07:48 PM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    The throttle body is far from a passive part, with its moving butterflies. In this case, the throttle positioner is part of the assembly, and the positioners are failing. There was also a design change in the throttle body shaft bushings. The original problem for the 2011 Spyders was caused by a change in programming which tightly closed the throttle plates after the Spyder was shut off, to prevent the fuel saturation of the cylinders which caused flooding and hot restart issues. As the Spyder cooled, the tightly closed plates became locked in the throttle bore and the shaft could stick in the bushings. The positioners had a chance of burning out when the throttle plates didn't move readily. The Throttle Body Warranty Campaign reprogrammed the throttle body closing procedure to prevent this.
    The fuel injectors are below the throttle plates so closing them off wouldn't do anything for that and once the Spyder is turned off there is no fuel getting past the injectors.

This has more to do with valve overlap and hot gases getting into the air box through the throttle plates and giving a false reading to the sensor. That's why you hear a high pitch squeal for 40 minutes after the Spyder is shut off. The plates are being held shut till the gases cool down.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    The fuel injectors are below the throttle plates so closing them off wouldn't do anything for that and once the Spyder is turned off there is no fuel getting past the injectors.

This has more to do with valve overlap and hot gases getting into the air box through the throttle plates and giving a false reading to the sensor. That's why you hear a high pitch squeal for 40 minutes after the Spyder is shut off. The plates are being held shut till the gases cool down.
    Thanks for the explanation. It was explained to me differently. Your explanation makes more sense.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Thanks for the explanation. It was explained to me differently. Your explanation makes more sense.

Spyder Garage

I called dealer yesterday and they told me a replacement part was on order and should be available next week. I will get more info when they do the work.

Spyder Garage

TB was replaced and Spyder back on road. My shop CTPS said they have worked on five bike that needed this work and none of them have needed additional TB work. One can only hope.
    They also told me the stepper motor that seems to be the failure part can not be replaced by the shop,and the complete unit is the remove and replace level.