Spyder Garage

Default decelerating problem

I went for a nice ride this evening.My spyder for no reason wouldsuddenly decelerate then stall out.check engine light would come on.engine would restart without a problem.check engine light and panel would then go back to normal. It did this 5 times.Any answers from you guys would be great.It has done this before shortly after I bought it but only on occasion. At that time dealer said that it had to much oil in it and drained some.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Your dealer needs to try again. Too much oil will not stall the engine. Too many possible causes to list here, and too complex for the average person to troubleshoot. What I would recommend, however, is that you check the battery terminals (inside the bodywork) to see that they are tight and clean, check the rear frame ground (negative jumper terminal under the seat) to see that it is tight, and check the relays up front to see that they are securely seated. Beyond that, your dealer needs to look at the plugs and diagnostics, and go from there.

Spyder Garage

Default decelleration problems

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Your dealer needs to try again. Too much oil will not stall the engine. Too many possible causes to list here, and too complex for the average person to troubleshoot. What I would recommend, however, is that you check the battery terminals (inside the bodywork) to see that they are tight and clean, check the rear frame ground (negative jumper terminal under the seat) to see that it is tight, and check the relays up front to see that they are securely seated. Beyond that, your dealer needs to look at the plugs and diagnostics, and go from there.

thank,I will do all the above.

Spyder Garage

Hate toy disagree with you Scotty but I had similar issues the day I picked ip my Spyder on day one. Too much oil caused exactly the same issues. Dealer drained some and viola it has not done this since.
    Kinggeek
    Mandeville,LA

VERY HAPPY Spyder Ryder!

Where have we been on the Spyder? See below:

Can-Am Spyder ST-S SE5 in Congac

Spyder Garage

Too much oil, to some of us, means a tiny bit over the full mark. I will guess that "too much oil" in this case meant the oil was up to or near the top of the oil tank, and not having enough expansion room, would choke back in the engine, etc. Just a guess. But then if the dealer put that much oil, I can't comment on that. Some dealers just don't get it.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

I suppose I could see it happening that if the tank was completely full that the scavenging pump would not be able to evacuate the sump, and the resulting windage could slow the engine, or even stall it, but I find it very hard to believe. The engine has 100 HP to drive the pump. It would be more likely to blow the seals and spew oil out of the tank vent. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, but it is so unlikely and so out of the realm of my 50+ years of experience that I remain a disbeliever. There are far more feasible causes for stalling.