Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by fispyder View Post
    I did the same thing change oil and used a differant filter When I started it went into limp mod Took it to the dealer. The dealer just started it up ran it about3000 rpms for 15seconds cleared right up. No charge said it was covered under warrenty they had gotten a notice about the problem when changing the oil. Also my dealer said as long as I use oil and filters that meets what BRP recommends that the warrenty is good. Sorry to hear you have a dealer that rips people off. I would have been raising H_ _ _ .
    Ok, here is a perfect example of a good, honest dealer. My guess is the only difference between your dealer and the one blackw1d0w is having issues with is integrity. It is vertually certain that her dealer has the same notice from BRP and just chooses to rip of what they feel is a unsuspecting customer.

Free service, no bull about a voided warranty or aftermarket oil and filters, honest, accurate information about the problem, service with a smile and one happy customer that can recommed the Spyder and the dealership to someone else. What is so hard about this?

Some dealers are Spyder Helpers, giving good, honest service and customer care. Other dealers are Spyder Webs, catching customers and sucking the life blood out of them!
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    Last time I changed the oil, I put all 4 quarts before I started the engine. The limp mode did not happen. The tank takes all the oil, just down from overflow.
    Every time you change oil you're going to get zero or very low oil pressure for a few seconds while the system fills with oil again. Of course you want to get as much of the old oil out as you can so draining a hot engine until nothing comes out of either drain plug is a good idea.

The better job you do draining the old oil, the more likely you may be to get the Limp Mode issue.

There is a timed circuit in the electronics to sense Low or Zero oil pressure. If you fall below this threshold for too long it times out and you get the 'Limp Mode' light. The higher the RPM the quicker you'll get pressure, but you don't really want to rev the engine with zero pressure either.

Sounds like reving the engine after going into Limp Mode simply resets the Zero Pressure circuit. The only thing that would fix this is extending the time allowed for low oil pressure before triggering the code. Maybe BRP can do this with a BUDS update. Giving the system a few more seconds on start-up only might be a good idea. Then if you had a real issue with pressure at speed you'd still have some protection while eliminating the Oil Change/Limp Mode issue that exists now.

Spyder Garage

Well, just curious, how did things go today? Hoping for good news.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    Well, just curious, how did things go today? Hoping for good news.
    It is NOT good news. I am so frustrated tonight that I have simply been unable to respond to this forum. Maybe by tomorrow, I can compose myself. I feel that we have been treated so unfairly that I am having trouble comprehending it all.

arntufun

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by blackw1d0w View Post
    It is NOT good news. I am so frustrated tonight that I have simply been unable to respond to this forum. Maybe by tomorrow, I can compose myself. I feel that we have been treated so unfairly that I am having trouble comprehending it all.
    No rush, our need to know is not all that important. Take it easy and get back when you can.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Star View Post
    to the Spyder world, and on your spyder. It is such a shame that with how much these machines cost we also have to worry about the dealership ripping us off. Yet it will happen. I read about the Spyder for almost a year, and had a bad experience with my dealer. Just glad I found a great mechanic to fix mine, and one I can trust.
    Yeah! He's a real Pirate! LOL
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Very Active Member Desert Spyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Is the reason for not picking up the Spyder yet the bill? With all this info that I just learned, and I have owned 2 Spyders in the last 3 years, this info really needs to get out.

BRP needs to jump on the dealer and make them swallow the bill and then deliver the bike back to the customer ... with a gift certificate on the side.

Are there any other dealerships in your area?
    Happy Spyder Owner
    States visited on the Spyder.
    And if we live life without a passion, then we're not living.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Spyder View Post
    Is the reason for not picking up the Spyder yet the bill? With all this info that I just learned, and I have owned 2 Spyders in the last 3 years, this info really needs to get out.

BRP needs to jump on the dealer and make them swallow the bill and then deliver the bike back to the customer ... with a gift certificate on the side.

Are there any other dealerships in your area?
    No, we just heard from them on Friday that they had fixed the problem. We picked up the Spyder yesterday. AND paid the bill. I had copies of this problem from the forum printed out. I had emailed Carlo. The service tech had decided that the aftermarket filter was the problem, EVEN AFTER "oil pressure check was within specs", so we were billed for 3 hours of labor and parts, and him riding our bike for 29.6 miles to be sure he had corrected the problem. The dealership had already decided before we arrived what the resolution to our concern was. Carlo called, and was really nice, but sided /w the dealer. So, we are giving this a lot of thought, and as much as we like the Spyder, may not own it much longer. This has been one of the worst problems we have ever encountered.

And to answer your second question, there is another dealer in TN...We live in NC, but TN actually might be a little closer, and hopefully the dealership is more customer oriented,.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

No, we just heard from them on Friday that they had fixed the problem. We picked up the Spyder yesterday. AND paid the bill. I had copies of this problem from the forum printed out. I had emailed Carlo. The service tech had decided that the aftermarket filter was the problem, EVEN AFTER "oil pressure check was within specs", so we were billed for 3 hours of labor and parts, and him riding our bike for 29.6 miles to be sure he had corrected the problem. The dealership had already decided before we arrived what the resolution to our concern was. Carlo called, and was really nice, but sided /w the dealer. So, we are giving this a lot of thought, and as much as we like the Spyder, may not own it much longer. This has been one of the worst problems we have ever encountered.

And to answer your second question, there is another dealer in TN...We live in NC, but TN actually might be a little closer, and hopefully the dealership is more customer oriented,.
    I think you could wind up with this problem with ANY vehicle, not just the Spyder, so giving up on it because of a dishonest dealer doesn't really make sense. I hope you decide to stick it out. I am disturbed that BRP, via Carlo, would side with a bad dealer, that bothers me more than the bad dealer. I too hope you'll post the dealerships name along with the names of the employees involved... give due warning to everyone shopping for a Spyder and current owners in your area as well!!

Spyder Garage

At this point I would not believe anything the dealer told me until I could verify it to be true either from BRP themselves or from a consensus of this forum.

Spyder Garage

Did Carlo say that your warranty was voided like the dealer said?

Also, did Carlo say that you cannot use aftermarket oil filters in general or specifically the one you used?

Although it looks like your dealer gouged you, Carlo has no control over the prices charged by a dealer, other than maybe the amount of time spent to do maintenance/repair work.

Sorry for all your trouble. I hope you get some satisfaction from BRP and/or the dealer.
    Last edited by wyliec; 11-01-2011 at 05:11 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by wyliec View Post
    Did Carlo say that your warranty was voided like the dealer said?

Also, did Carlo say that you cannot use aftermarket oil filters in general or specifically the one you used?

Although it looks like your dealer gouged you, Carlo has no control over the prices charged by a dealer, other than maybe the amount of time spent to do maintenance/repair work.

Sorry for all your trouble. I hope you get some satisfaction from BRP and/or the dealer.
    Ok, I am new to this forum, and I was incorrect in the way I worded the warranty work I guess. This particular visit was not covered under warranty because of the filter. I do have an existing warranty, I think until May 2012.....the vehicle had around 1199 (close) miles on it, when we purchased. I do not think I ever placed any blame on Carlo for anything.....prices the dealer charged,etc. Carlo said this filter was aftermarket and therefore we were responsible for the repairs. All he said was that the filter was aftermarket and therefore BRP would not cover the cost. I am not blaming Carlo. He did the best he could do. He is a very nice man, and I appreciate him going to the trouble to follow up on this problem for us. BRP has rules, and he followed them.

Yeah, the dealer gouged us, and we are done /w them, and they know it. They are not the only dealer in our area, and we will be going somewhere else.

BTW, love your yorkie...We also have one.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Limp Mode after Oil change on 2010 RT

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    This is a known quirk. Running the engine at about 3,000 rpm for 15-20 seconds resets the warning. It was the test drive that cured it, not the filters.
    Once again thank you for your vast knowledge! You saved me and hubby a LOT of aggravation today. We, (okay he - I just stand and hand him things), had just changed the oil using BRP parts and got the Limp Mode. A quick google search and 30 seconds later - no limp mode!! Thank you!