Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Question Spyder Brakes. Did anyone try to change HB brake calipers or pads to anything else?

Hi to every spyderlovers!!! I have a question about Spyder brakes. Do you like them? Honestly I don't. may be someone tried to change those pads or calipers and have positive results?

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by che98 View Post
    Hi to every spyderlovers!!! I have a question about Spyder brakes. Do you like them? Honestly I don't. may be someone tried to change those pads or calipers and have positive results?
    What don't you like about them??

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by boborgera View Post
    What don't you like about them??
    Hi! I ve changed my manual transmition Sryder to new one with semi- automatic transmition and sometimes I have like stand on brake pedal just to stop it ( riding as usual, not racing ). So I just think may be here any info about new brakes

Spyder Garage

Post Spyder Brakes

I love 'em! More than once some idiot has decided they need my lane more than I do and my brakes kept me from becoming a sad stat. Additionally, I have made several abrupt stops when signals suddenly turned red and I was able to come to a complete stop without the slightest bit of trouble. Put your foot down hard, and stops straight and true.

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Hi! I ve changed my manual transmition Sryder to new one with semi- automatic transmition and sometimes I have like stand on brake pedal just to stop it ( riding as usual, not racing ). So I just think may be here any info about new brakes
    I don't know for sure why the semi auto is harder to stop. But i can guess with the manual trans, If you did like i do,
    When ever i have to stop quick, I pull in the clutch and at the same time hit the brake, maybe with the auto it tends to push a little against the brakes ; ie no torque converter to slip the clutch.

Spyder Garage

I didn't know se's did that, but it makes perfect sense, although, i've never heard it mentioned before. could there be another issue factoring in. doc, seth, lamont, scotty?
    it was fun while it lasted.

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Shouldn't be much harder to stop than with the manual. You still get engine braking until you are going quite slow. I'd suspect glazed brake pads. These will really make a Spyder stop worse.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Absolutely nothing wrong with the brakes on my semi-auto. Hit them hard enough and and it will lift you off the seat and into the windshield! As Scotty suggests, check the condition of the pads. Make sure all the rest of the braking system is in good order, too.

Spyder Garage

also with the last generation of the pads - I´m also NOT satisfied with the system
    my feeling is that I would need much more pressure on the front - after 9.400 mls
    I needed new pads on the back (and also a new tire) and my front ones are like new .. maybe I need a new "brake-cylinder" ??
    Outlander fairing - Fox-shock - BajaRon Swaybar - Hankook tire/ back - 165/50 Imperial tires front & longer front shocks - GIVI Topase - Shad sidecases -heated grips - new seats

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Brakes on mine are bad also.

twice the shop has tried to fix it ( bled em ) and it works well at first and then shortly after we are back to square one.
    Next they might change out the master cylinder.

Heres whats happening.......
    When you first push down on the brake lever , there is a lot of travel and it feels like the brakes are about 50%.
    I then start to "pump" the brake lever and the travel is shorter and it now feels like 70-80% at best.

If anyone has a great after market brake system i am all ears!!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've heard this issue mentioned in here before... Pump the brakes a bit and they're great; it's the first stab of the pedal that's scary! Mine stops straight and true, but the pedal effort is just a bit higher than I'd like...

Maybe you need the system bled a bit??
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I've heard this issue mentioned in here before... Pump the brakes a bit and they're great; it's the first stab of the pedal that's scary!
    It was mentioned before, It seems a few said that's normal, But I don't think so.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Maybe it's just brake "feel".

My feeling is that they're kinda soft and squishy. Of course they perform very well, but they feel squishy.

In most cars the brake lines tend to be rubber or reinforced rubber and give a bit under brake pressure. They do the job but also "feel" soft. The average driver doesn't mind or even notice this. But once you've had steel braided brake lines you will know the difference.

That all said, I think the Spyder is all steel braided brake lines no? If it's not, I would start with replacing those! It should result in a big difference in the feedback you get from braking without really changing the braking performance much (usually just a bit quicker to respond.)

Spyder Garage

If the engine on your SE is still pushing the bike when you hit the brakes then you are not shutting down the throttle. If you shut it down the engine will help you slow down while pulling the clutch on an SM will not.

I do agree that I'd like the pedal travel to be less. I have the ISCI handbrake and it really stands out there. All that being said, I still really like that handbrake. A motorcycle needs a handbrake. IMHO

Spyderless Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 3whlLefty View Post

A motorcycle needs a handbrake. IMHO
    Motorcycles do come with handbrakes.

Spyder Garage

+Don't forget that if you pump the brakes, you reset the ABS. That's not a bad thing for certain situations, but you need to keep it in mind, particularly if you form it as a habit.

Ride on.
    Roadkill
    2008 GS Roadster , Roadster Red

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

You need a handbrake from ISCI...love mine and wouldn't want to brake without it!

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Ivé started working on my brake by buying a custom drilled set of rotors/larger I bought them of a bloke on ebay and are made by ebc brake there huge compared to std, next is some six piston brake which is on my xmas list
    . Results can not really tell I spose they may cool a lot better but will see when i get the 6 piston brakes

Motorbike Professor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post
    Ivé started working on my brake by buying a custom drilled set of rotors/larger I bought them of a bloke on ebay and are made by ebc brake there huge compared to std, next is some six piston brake which is on my xmas list
    . Results can not really tell I spose they may cool a lot better but will see when i get the 6 piston brakes
    Larger diameter rims?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NancysToy View Post
    Larger diameter rims?
    yes 16"x7 with 25mm offset std is 28mm ivé been told and 16/40/205 works out to be same rolling dia

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 6 pistons???

Quote Originally Posted by darren View Post
    Where did you find the 6 pistons calipers? I am not happy with my brakes either... Once again something too small for a whale! 4 pistons Brembo should be better already!
    Philippe

Spyder Garage

If you have to pump the brakes, it's possible that the parking brake needs adjustment, if the PB takes more than 2 or 3 clicks to set, it's too loose.

john